Motorcycle rack to mount on car | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle rack to mount on car

All depends on the kind of bike.No problem with a trials bike.
be2df714c14709ff0bb1a854dd221790_zps057c101f.jpg

For what it's worth those tow behinds that keep the rear wheel on the ground have been around forever, biggest issues are; it's best to remove the drive chain and they wear the bikes rear tire square.

Tires on your car would be running close to maximum load with the hitch mount hauling a 520 pound bike.
... headlights would be aimed at the sky :| you wouldn't really enjoy it much.

Last edited:
That's a heavy bike to be carrying on a hitch receiver. Gotta be close to 550 lbs.

What's the maximum tongue weight on your vehicle/hitch?

Got the bike down to about 520 lbs.

Going over to Hitch City tomorrow ask a few questions and take it from there.
The hitch I have at the moment is only for bicycles. So I would need to have that changed.

For what it's worth those tow behinds that keep the rear wheel on the ground have been around forever, biggest issues are; it's best to remove the drive chain and they wear the bikes rear tire square.

Tires on your car would be running close to maximum load with the hitch mount hauling a 520 pound bike.

Great points. Thanks "Trials" Not too keen on keeping the wheel on the ground.

The hitch I have at the moment is only for bicycles. So I would need to have that changed.

It's not the hitch you have to be worried about. It's the actual vehicle and how much weight you can apply to the tongue before it levers the front axle up, affecting steering and traction. You can buy a Class III hitch that is rated for 900 lbs of tongue weight, but if your tow vehicle is a 1800 lb Smart Car, there's no way you're resting 900 lbs on that hitch. Or even 520 lbs, for that matter...

It's not the hitch you have to be worried about. It's the actual vehicle and how much weight you can apply to the tongue before it levers the front axle up, affecting steering and traction. You can buy a Class III hitch that is rated for 900 lbs of tongue weight, but if your tow vehicle is a 1800 lb Smart Car, there's no way you're resting 900 lbs on that hitch. Or even 520 lbs, for that matter...

Agree, "Lightcycle" Thank you.
Think I will have to come up with another way of going South.

https://www.lowes.ca/trailers/carry...-4-ft-x-6-ft-mesh-floor-trailer_g1266603.html

Lowes is selling 6x4 utility trailers with rear ramps for $699. The trailers are light, if I recall my bike was heavier than the trailer. Way safer than a hitch carrier.

Way safer than a hitch mount. Also, I don't think a car mounted hitch will take 500lbs on the tongue AND you have to tie-down these types of carriers to the frame to keep them from twisting off.

Also,

For 520# tongue weight you'll need a class III hitch.
According to Draw-Tite your Lancer gets a class I hitch.
https://www.drawtite-hitches.com/products/,24885
A class I hitch will support 200# tongue weight.

You don't see class III hitches on cars, usually on light trucks.

Thanks, "blitz" Must say I have been educated. By your goodself and fellow riders.

Usually ride everywhere I go. thought I might give this a shot.

Oh well, will ski until the end of the season. Not such a bad thing.

Thanks to you all. :)

If I got it right the Lancer is 3000 pounds 59% front / 41% rear 1770 / 1230. Adding 500-600 pounds to the rear will affect the steering towards oversteer. The actual rebalanced numbers would involve the WB and centre of gravity of the hitch and bike. A guess of a couple hundred off the front which gets shifted to the rear and the rear also picks up the total added load. Guessing again if the front load was reduced by shifting 200 to the rear and the rear also picks up 600 you end up with 1570 / 2030 or 44%F / 56%R. That's just a guess but if correct an exuberant corner could get exciting. Trust me. I learned to drive on an early Corvair.

Guessing again if the front load was reduced by shifting 200 to the rear and the rear also picks up 600 you end up with 1570 / 2030 or 44%F / 56%R. That's just a guess but if correct an exuberant corner could get exciting. Trust me. I learned to drive on an early Corvair.

Reminds me of a quote I read about driving one of the mid-80s tail-happy 911s: "Like driving a car with the weight distribution of a sledgehammer".

If I got it right the Lancer is 3000 pounds 59% front / 41% rear 1770 / 1230. Adding 500-600 pounds to the rear will affect the steering towards oversteer. The actual rebalanced numbers would involve the WB and centre of gravity of the hitch and bike. A guess of a couple hundred off the front which gets shifted to the rear and the rear also picks up the total added load. Guessing again if the front load was reduced by shifting 200 to the rear and the rear also picks up 600 you end up with 1570 / 2030 or 44%F / 56%R. That's just a guess but if correct an exuberant corner could get exciting. Trust me. I learned to drive on an early Corvair.

Impressive, thank you. Would certainly end up as a fun drive. More than likely in the ditch.

Correct 516 for the bike, but you also have to add the weight of the carrier, not even sure if any of the bike carriers are rated to carry a 500 lb gorilla...lmao.

There are the very thin trailers that are designed to carry just one bike, (both bike tires are off the ground on the "rail"), they look to be VERY lightweight. Biggest issue I would see with one is EVERY THING is getting tossed onto the bike from under the car. If your looking at early spring, it could be a HUGE mess, at least until you get about South Carolina.

Back
Top Bottom