Motorcycle rack to mount on car | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle rack to mount on car

There are at least two threads on this in the past two years on GTAM. I outlined there why I think they are a terrible idea, but those that had them had never experienced issues. On most vehicles you will need to add tail lights to the bike or rack to make it legal as the bike will block the vehicle lights (and license plate, but that one is harder to fix).

You want to install one on a car?

The hitch requires a minimum tongue capacity of the weight of the motorcycle plus the weight of the rack itself, plus it will have moment ("torque") loads applied in both side view and rear view directions that trailer hitches are not ordinarily designed to handle.

You will need at least a Class III hitch to be able to do that (and that's without considering the moment loads that no hitch is explicitly designed to handle) and the vehicle to which the hitch is attached has to have sufficient capacity for that hitch. Most cars do not have sufficient ratings.

Thanks everybody.
Useful information. I did a check to see if there where any previous posts. None, was the reply. I did call "Hitch City" who have installed my previous hitches. They said it was do able. The bike weighs under 500lbs. I have a hitch installed for the bicycle. Apparently I need a 2" for the rack. Mine is not 2 inches.
Thinking that it is easier to have a motorcycle rack.
Looking out here for anybody that might have owned one.
A while back I went to U Haul and to rent for 2 weeks plus was$1000+ Nuts.

Rent what at U-Haul for $1000+? a trailer? that's around $13-16 a day, I've rented it multiple times with no issues from various U-Hauls, at that rate 2 weeks plus should be less than $250.

The motorcycle rack on the car seems interesting, i'd be way too nervous driving, even on our Ford F-150 which is rated at over 11,500lbs Tow capacity, so that would be around 1,500lbs on the hitch alone rating, enough, yet still with bumps, side forces, etc... loading in the back or a trailer is much easier.

I have one (in mississauga). you can stop by after 6pm or weekend if you want to have a look. it requires a 2 inch hitch and straps

Saw someone on a Ducati ripping in the HOV lane this morning eastbound on the 403 in pi$$ing rain :lmao:

That video / guy is funny. He thinks that because he installed a Class III hitch, which is capable of carrying 600 lbs, that the 300 lb tongue weight limitation of the vehicle no longer matters. He has grossly exceeded the capabilities of that Sante Fe.

Right + the carrier actually places the bike much further out from the hitch receiver than a regular drawbar and ball would be and this leverage effectively increases the tongue weight on an already over-stressed unit body SUV. One good pothole and that Ducati is toast.

Saw someone on a Ducati ripping in the HOV lane this morning eastbound on the 403 in pi$$ing rain :lmao:

Thanks to all again.

Still riders out there today. Was a miserable day.

Seems very debatable as to whether it is safe or not. I am going to go over to Hitch City and have a chit chat with them. Nearer the spring time. I am thinking of near end of ski season. Depends on conditions. Early March.

I’d only consider it for a middleweight dirt bike. Even then, I think I’d rather a light trailer and tow it.

I’m a bike guy and use hitch mounted bike racks and I don’t like having that much weight just hanging on the tail end. We camp often and take 3 to 4 bikes.

Just take your time and you’ll come across a stinger or well made utility trailer that will do the trick. Think I saw one that stores upright for easy storage. I’d rather chance that over a hitch mount system. That’s just my a chair opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d only consider it for a middleweight dirt bike. Even then, I think I’d rather a light trailer and tow it.

I’m a bike guy and use hitch mounted bike racks and I don’t like having that much weight just hanging on the tail end. We camp often and take 3 to 4 bikes.

Just take your time and you’ll come across a stinger or well made utility trailer that will do the trick. Think I saw one that stores upright for easy storage. I’d rather chance that over a hitch mount system. That’s just my a chair opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.
Looks like that might be the route I will be going.

Back
Top Bottom