Castrol Grand Prix 10w40 Motrocycle Oil - Costco.ca | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Castrol Grand Prix 10w40 Motrocycle Oil - Costco.ca

Just a general tip, if you come across any bottle of oil that says energy conserving anywhere, know for a fact that it is incompatible with motorcycles. Because what that means is the oil contains friction modifiers that will cause the clutch to slip and therefore isn't suitable for motorcycles.

well, it is castrol and it does say motorcycle oil. Castrol at one time sponsored /supported RACE. Every RACE bike had castrol stickers on their forks.

I used castrol oil for quite a while - mostly because of their support for racing.

anyone else remember colin edwards green and red castrol wsbk? They should know how to make a motorcycle specific oil?

good pricing.

well, it is castrol and it does say motorcycle oil. Castrol at one time sponsored /supported RACE. Every RACE bike had castrol stickers on their forks.

I used castrol oil for quite a while - mostly because of their support for racing.

anyone else remember colin edwards green and red castrol wsbk? They should know how to make a motorcycle specific oil?

good pricing.

The only thing that bothers me about this Castrol 'Grand Prix' oil is that it doesn't say anywhere that it is fully synthetic. How can it be a Grand Prix oil and not be fully synthetic?

"Grand Prix" is just their name for that oil. I don't think it is anything special. They sure haven't updated the appearance of the bottle for years ... maybe decades.

The distribution facility for Castrol products in Etobicoke still has some nice looking posters on the wall in the lobby, even though it has been years (maybe decades) since they sponsored RACE. (I have a little project going on in that plant.)

If Castrol has a higher spec motorcycle oil on the market, I'm not aware of it. I'll ask next time I'm there.

"Grand Prix" is just their name for that oil. I don't think it is anything special. They sure haven't updated the appearance of the bottle for years ... maybe decades.

The distribution facility for Castrol products in Etobicoke still has some nice looking posters on the wall in the lobby, even though it has been years (maybe decades) since they sponsored RACE. (I have a little project going on in that plant.)

If Castrol has a higher spec motorcycle oil on the market, I'm not aware of it. I'll ask next time I'm there.

I don't think the oil is anything special either - pretty certain its just dino oil. I changed the oil and filter every 4000kms. I doubt it has the performance of a good synthetic.
Small world, I drove truck for those castrol guys in south etobicoke many moons ago. Always had coffee on for us, good working atmosphere, always professional. Would enjoy hearing more about your little project, but I suspect there is a confidentiality clause?

EDit- yeah its been a long time since castrol provided support for RACE. Decades? more like ..oh man, long ago lol.

I can remember racing at shanny when there was only the nelson circuit. I also got to race the pro track on its opening RACE weekend. yeah, many decades ..miss the place and people.

Last edited:
Agreed, I don't think there's such a thing as a racing oil that is not fully synthetic with added ester formulations anyway, so like Brian said, it's just a name. Plus no way a company would sell a racing grade oil, especially a brand name like Castrol for dirt cheap like that.

Last edited:
10W30 or 10W40...is there much difference. My bike is 10W30 but if the 40 works ok I may snap this up at Costco as time to get the oil changed.

10W30 or 10W40...is there much difference. My bike is 10W30 but if the 40 works ok I may snap this up at Costco as time to get the oil changed.

Since the constant here is the winter weight then I would say snap it up. Won't make much of a difference.

Just to reinforce what others have said and are speculating this is definitely not synethic oil, I maybe should have posted this originally for those that are unsure.

It works for my purpose as I've been using the Castrol GTX (car oil without friction modifiers) changing every 5000-6000kms for almost 100,000km on my '04 GSXR1000 with no issues. I would be using more of the Castrol GTX oil but since I found this Costco deal it's motorcycle specific for less than the cost I can find the GTX at (since I've run out of my GTX inventory at home).

I'm still waiting to hear back from Castrol regarding wether it's JASO or not, I sent a follow up email after no response from the first.

Castrol GP MC oil is SG rated. The SG rated oils are high in ZDDP additive (Zinc dialkyldithiophosphates) Look it up if you don't know what it is. SG rated oils came out in 1988. This API rating has been superseded many times over by now. An SG rated oil is particularly good for older air or oil cooled engines. ZDDP is important for engines that have flat tappet cam followers. All of you know what those are, right? API rated oils like SL or SN have lower ZDDP content. This additive is supposed to be bad for catalytic converters, and that is one reason it has been reduced in newer oils. (That high ZDDP content is probably why SG rated oil is still available today) GP is 100% Dino oil. My BMW 2002, r1150rs requires the 20W-50 version, and that is all I have ever used. The bike has over 220000km, and she runs perfect. The engine has never required any service or repairs, just new spark plugs and valve clearance adjustments. I follow the manufacturers oil change interval which is every 10000km.

OK... but that bike does not share the engine oil with the transmission. 10,000km still sounds like an awful long time to run cheap dino oil, but if you are being completely honest then you are well past the point where any problems from it would have resulted

I actually bought these.

The way I see it, if I'm gonna be changing them every 5k km or even shorter, itll be fine

I followed up with a call to Castrol. This motorcycle oil is JASO-MA and safe for wet clutches. A more recent product (Castrol GO! 4T) is an updated version of Grand Prix that is JASO-MA2 rated, but JASO-MA is safe for wet clutch motorcycles.

I also looked into Castrol GO! 4T and it looks like it's only sold in the states for those wondering.

awesome. Thanks for following up!

Shell gets around this by saying T4/T6 meets JASO-MA/2 specifications on the bottle. They don't claim it's JASO certified
T3 doesn't meet JASO-MA? Was considering running it in an old bike. I guess synthetic is probably a better option anyway.

Castrol GP MC oil is SG rated. The SG rated oils are high in ZDDP additive (Zinc dialkyldithiophosphates) Look it up if you don't know what it is. SG rated oils came out in 1988. This API rating has been superseded many times over by now. An SG rated oil is particularly good for older air or oil cooled engines. ZDDP is important for engines that have flat tappet cam followers. All of you know what those are, right? API rated oils like SL or SN have lower ZDDP content. This additive is supposed to be bad for catalytic converters, and that is one reason it has been reduced in newer oils. (That high ZDDP content is probably why SG rated oil is still available today) GP is 100% Dino oil. My BMW 2002, r1150rs requires the 20W-50 version, and that is all I have ever used. The bike has over 220000km, and she runs perfect. The engine has never required any service or repairs, just new spark plugs and valve clearance adjustments. I follow the manufacturers oil change interval which is every 10000km.
Good to know. My 944 has flat tappets. I actually bought ZDDP Plus additive for it. Guess I could just find SG oil.

T3 doesn't meet JASO-MA? Was considering running it in an old bike. I guess synthetic is probably a better option anyway.

There's Rotella T3, and then there's the older style of Rotella T "Triple Protection" which predates T4. "Triple Protection" was JASO-MA rated for a while, and it will say so on the bottle

Just wanted to let people know this is NOT synthetic.

Worth repeating because some people didn't seem to want to hear it the first time.
This is the **** oil I used to use in my 1980s Honda POS bike over a decade ago.

If you ride junk, buy this oil. It will work. It did for me.
If you don't ride junk, don't buy this oil. No rocket science necessary.

Back
Top Bottom