Castrol Grand Prix 10w40 Motrocycle Oil - Costco.ca | GTAMotorcycle.com

Castrol Grand Prix 10w40 Motrocycle Oil - Costco.ca

Krime

Site Supporter
Costco sells the 12L boxes (1L x 12) for $65. They have a Masterpass promo that gives you $20 off $100 or more, so if you add a $35 filler item or purchase two boxes you'll get the discount. It will bring the price per litre to be cheaper than any other retailer. I ordered last week and received them at my door 3 days later. Just in time to store my last bike.

https://www.costco.ca/Castrol-Grand-Prix-10W40-for-Motorcycle-12-x-1-L.product.100150666.html

For Masterpass promo, just select it at the checkout and make an account. You can use a Visa card as well as odd as that seems.

Maybe be careful with this, I don't see that it is JASO-MA/2 rated for those that require it. Maybe someone has a spec sheet with more definitive information?

it is JASO-MA/2 rated from what I remember, you can buy it at CT as well. I used it in my SV650 for 2 years.

^was wondering the same thing

CTC and WallyWorld both sell that same oil, no info there either

funny that the Castrol website does not list that product

OP?

From the bottle...

84302a0abb48a905279d58c38cfc2f95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no mention of JASO
but lots of language on the additive package
which really is the concern for a wet clutch

seems to also be high detergent
not great when also used as transmission oil

think I'd give this one a skip

no mention of JASO
but lots of language on the additive package
which really is the concern for a wet clutch

seems to also be high detergent
not great when also used as transmission oil

think I'd give this one a skip

I’ve been putting it on my salad .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just sent an email to the manufacturer to see what they say regarding JASO-MA/2 certification. I'm very much assuming so since I've been using Castrol GTX 10w40 (car oil) in my GSXR for 14 years and 95,000km and it was JASO-MA/2 approved... so it would be absolutely ridiculous if their motorcycle specific oil wasn't. I'll report back with their response.

I know that manufacturers have to pay to use the JASO-MA logo, so some may meet it and just avoid the fees. Not sure if that goes for just mentioning it as well. I didn't think so, but it would be interesting to see what they say

I know that manufacturers have to pay to use the JASO-MA logo, so some may meet it and just avoid the fees. Not sure if that goes for just mentioning it as well. I didn't think so, but it would be interesting to see what they say

I think you're right about that. A few years ago there was another brand that didn't mention or feature JASO on the bottle and when the manufacturer was contacted they did confirm it was. I think it may have been Shell's Rotella oil at the time.

Good find. Was running low on Rotella t6.
It's hard to find what I want from Costco website though to make it 100.

Told my wife to see but that can be dangerous.

Shell gets around this by saying T4/T6 meets JASO-MA/2 specifications on the bottle. They don't claim it's JASO certified

While waiting for a response I've been doing some digging. The same name in a different package selling in the UK is advertised as JASO. https://www.amazon.co.uk/CASTROL-Grand-Prix-10W-40-Jubi/dp/B00BCE1GCY

It could be a (slightly) different formulation. The only good reason I can think of for them not to mention JASO is that the bottles pre-date the specification. I am 100% pulling this next bit out of my hat - at the time that JASO-MA was emerging as a standard, some otherwise perfectly fine oils had higher than desirable sulfated ash content which is something that bike motors specifically do not like (piston deposits?)

It probably won't make your bike explode, but it is probably also legit not in spec for JASO-MA

Addendum because I forgot:

Some older bikes will in the manual spec oils that are API SG OR JASO-MA - they didn't have to be both for exactly one of the reasons mentioned above, the manufacturer was mostly concerned about the energy conserving additives in newer API specs

Back
Top Bottom