Time to jump in! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Time to jump in!

OllieDood

Hey All,

I've finally decide it is time to jump all in and get my bike, so figured it's a good time to introduce myself. Here is a bit on me and why I decided to start riding.

I'm a 35 year old who was recently married living downtown who is heavy into sports (hockey, golf, biking etc). Growing up around racing, spending most of my childhood at Mosport. My family is also heavy into cars and bikes with my father and 1 uncle being avid riders for 30+ years.

While on my honeymoon we rented a number of Vespa's riding in Rome, Florence, Sorrento and Amalfi coast, Majorca and Barcelona. My wife knowing I have wanted a bike for years recommended I should get my licence after being on the back while I traversed the crazy euro roads. I've also ridden a wide variety of bikes: Valkrie, R1, CBR, FZ's and Vulcan. I've also spent countless hours as a passenger on my fathers bike growing up.

I just completed my M1 exit with no points and had a blast, even if it was cold and wet all weekend. I'm pretty excited to get my M2 in the new year.

I am up in the air on bikes. I have an opportunity to ride a 2016 Vulcan 900 for a year paying only insurance, but really want a FZ-07. I'll be making the final decision in March. Most of my interest and questions at this point will be gear related, I want to be sure I am well protected without breaking the bank.

This winter is going to feel like the longest ever, come soon spring!

Justin

Good time to start looking for gear deals, vendors are clearing out for next year.

FZ-07 isn't an ideal starter bike (imo), but you seem to have some experience and if you can swing the insurance and take it easy you should be okay.

Oh, and welcome!

Good time to start looking for gear deals, vendors are clearing out for next year.

FZ-07 isn't an ideal starter bike (imo), but you seem to have some experience and if you can swing the insurance and take it easy you should be okay.

Oh, and welcome!

I thought the same thing prior to the course, but one of the instructors, who is also getting an FZ 07, felt I would be fine and didnt raise any concerns with me on that bike. Insurance is the big thing, I've been looking around but nothing is in stone yet.

Welcome.

If you can financially swing it, this is the absolute perfect time of the year to buy both bikes and gear - everybody wants to sell before the snow flies.

And yes, absolutely positively get insurance quote before buying anything at all

I thought the same thing prior to the course, but one of the instructors, who is also getting an FZ 07, felt I would be fine and didnt raise any concerns with me on that bike. Insurance is the big thing, I've been looking around but nothing is in stone yet.

All due respect to instructors, riding around cones in a parking lot != street conditions. I'm well aware the good ones can judge your 'ability' etc, but playing devils advocate.

All due respect to instructors, riding around cones in a parking lot != street conditions. I'm well aware the good ones can judge your 'ability' etc, but playing devils advocate.

I hear you and appreciate the advice, that's exactly why I am here, for guidance.

I'll see where I end up with a bike. I understand how quickly you can get in trouble, but I know and trust myself, I'm no racer. My biggest concern is other drivers, I trust no one on the road. I'll spend more time and research before making any purchases.

The instructors did call out one guy who has never ridden and is planning on getting a BMW S1000RR. Basically explaining how quickly he will be dead with that being his first bike.

The instructors did call out one guy who has never ridden and is planning on getting a BMW S1000RR. Basically explaining how quickly he will be dead with that being his first bike.

Genesis in 3...2...1..

I'll see where I end up with a bike. I understand how quickly you can get in trouble, but I know and trust myself, I'm no racer.

There's a lot to be said for making mistakes on bikes that won't put you into a guard rail in 2 seconds due to big power/big brakes. MT-07 is a nice middle ground, not quite the 'big bike', but not quite the "boring, slow 300cc everyone masters in 3 months and wants to jump off of". ;)

Think hard about what you want to use the bike for...and find the bike that fits those needs (or the majority of them).

Also, it’s never too early to start looking at gear and figuring out what you like/don’t like.

Keep in mind there is a January Motorcycle Show where you can get great deals on gear and also sit on a lot of bikes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A repertoire of an R1, Valkyrie and Vulcan prior to licensing is impressive. Unless they were all pillion rides hehehehe.
Welcome, your first year of insurance and bike n gear will likely be the biggest surprise of "breaking the bank" after that, nicer smoother sailing.
But agreed with the above, find out what kind of riding you wanna do, as a thread floating around now, a supersport isn't the best for commuting in Toronto, but is most fun for the twistys 1.5+ hours from Toronto

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

A repertoire of an R1, Valkyrie and Vulcan prior to licensing is impressive. Unless they were all pillion rides hehehehe.
Welcome, your first year of insurance and bike n gear will likely be the biggest surprise of "breaking the bank" after that, nicer smoother sailing.
But agreed with the above, find out what kind of riding you wanna do, as a thread floating around now, a supersport isn't the best for commuting in Toronto, but is most fun for the twistys 1.5+ hours from Toronto

I grew up in a smallish town, so after university I had opportunities to ride on the back roads. The first ride I ever took on a street bike was an R1, and even being gentle it terrified me. I dont ever want to climb back on on. The Valkyrie was a couple years ago while back home and the Vulcan was recently with my M1, it my fathers 2nd bike, so we went on a ride together (He was on his Gold Wing).

The one thing I regret is waiting so long, but I'm here now.

Would the FZ-07 fall into the supersport category? Everything I've read has it as a more relaxed, but tourqey ride. Even more upright then the FZ-09 with less power. I keep reading "similar" to the SV650 but a better all around bike.

I grew up in a smallish town, so after university I had opportunities to ride on the back roads. The first ride I ever took on a street bike was an R1, and even being gentle it terrified me. I dont ever want to climb back on on. The Valkyrie was a couple years ago while back home and the Vulcan was recently with my M1, it my fathers 2nd bike, so we went on a ride together (He was on his Gold Wing).

Would the FZ-07 fall into the supersport category? Everything I've read has it as a more relaxed, but tourqey ride. Even more upright then the FZ-09 with less power. I keep reading "similar" to the SV650 but a better all around bike.

The FZ07 is definitely not a SS, should be extra fun. I believe it is a naked torque fun machine. The SV650 iz pretty fun and reliable and whatnot (I am currently riding it after 3 seasons) also boring depending who you ask, but a wonderful all-around machine, a bit aggressive posture for the S version (full or half faired) and the FZ07 is much newer and sleeker than the SV for sure as the SV hasn't really changed since 2003

fz07/mt07 is a middle weight naked, tuned for torque.

i dunno, as a previous fz09 owner i don't think it's possible to be more upright lol.

The FZ07 is definitely not a SS, should be extra fun. I believe it is a naked torque fun machine. The SV650 iz pretty fun and reliable and whatnot (I am currently riding it after 3 seasons) also boring depending who you ask, but a wonderful all-around machine, a bit aggressive posture for the S version (full or half faired) and the FZ07 is much newer and sleeker than the SV for sure as the SV hasn't really changed since 2003

Good to hear, I definitely do not want a SS. If I ever get into tracking then sure, but no need to have a literal death rocket on the street.

To be honest I'm not sure how big of a difference it is, I just came across this while doing research a little while ago (https://goo.gl/images/3oDcDH), but not knowing a ton it might be negligible.

Interesting, well i can definitely say first hand you don't lean over the bars whatsoever on the FZ09.

Back
Top Bottom