Should I just stop riding?... | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Should I just stop riding?...

Last edited:
So I am at a little crossroads here...

Has anyone else been a little prone to issues, that have continued to ride?
I dropped my bike several times in my first two years of riding - much more than you have described. I also had two bikes written off - one due another drivers fault and one due to my fault. Took some courses and started to take my operational skills much more seriously and have kept it upright on pavement since. My riding is evenly split between twisty backroads and GTA/downtown roads.
I'll stop riding when I physically can't - and you have to decide for yourself what is best for you.
Good luck and ride safe if you stick around.

Mom? is that you?

I'm not anyone's mother. I don't like children.

I am a realist.
Some people shouldn't ride, or drive. I've met so many peeps that just happen to have a license, they are not riders or drivers. My own sister is one of them. She has a license but can't drive worth crap.

Last edited:
If you can't ride a motorcycle I highly recommend you do not buy a chainsaw.

I'm not anyone's mother. I don't like children.

I am a realist.
Some people shouldn't ride, or drive.

completely agree..... quit now and stay alive, keep my insurance rates from jumping or don't ask.

I am absolutely still following this thread, I've seen some great advice here that I will be taking into consideration come spring.

Funny enough I have not gotten into any accidents in a cage and hopefully will continue to avert any.. (knock on wood)

I don't think I do anything to stupid, maybe follow to close at times which I will be a little more cautious of. It seems as though I don"t give myself enough time to properly react. The only other thing I do is lane filter in stopped traffic, maybe push a little on a straight if there's no one in front of me. But I think these are tame compared to how some rip through the streets.

I def will be checking out those lessons mentioned at sharp. The price point is something affordable for me. I think it will be one of the first things that I'll be doing come spring. I'll go from there regarding riding. My insurance is good until August of next year so I should put that 1k to good use lol. I doubt they'll be so kind as to refund part of it.

As always its great to see the advice I've been getting. :)

Sharprider training is great. I took it several years ago, Level 1 and 2. Funny now but was not funny then - crashed while being on tour almost right after. 100% my fault, i knew immediately what I did wrong and which skills taught in the course I should've practiced more. One advice and it is completely IMHO - do not take both levels right after another. Take Level 1 and give yourself a month or two or a year to practice everything you learned. Buy the book too.
Another fun fact - http://www.sharpridermotorcycletraining.com/classes/ - that is the picture of my class, I am in it :)

I am a realist.
Some people shouldn't ride, or drive. I've met so many peeps that just happen to have a license, they are not riders or drivers.

Yep. The difference is that being a poor, clueless, or wholly unskilled car driver will just end up with a string of accidents that you are likely to survive, and then likely repeat over and over again.

Being a poor, clueless or wholly unskilled motorcycle rider, on the other hand, will eventually end up with you being involved in a serious accident that either cripples you in one fashion or another for life, or kills you.

I see this sort of thing in my industry as well. You can train people to drive a tractor trailer, but that doesn't mean that in reality that they're going to be good at it, or for some, that all the training or actual real world experience in the world after the fact will result in them becoming a skilled proficient operator. Some people just DO NOT "get" it. Ever. Usually they have a string of minor accidents that (thankfully) eventually see them exiting the industry because they become insurance kryptonite. Those who haven't reached that point yet, well...I suspect many of us here who have ever driven in Toronto have experienced a few who haven't quite exited yet, but are on their way.

.... But I think these are tame compared to how some rip through the streets......

but how much more experienced are they? Just like any riding, ride your ride, don't try to follow others as your skill level may not be on par with theirs.

***not condoning ripping thru the streets.****

but how much more experienced are they? Just like any riding, ride your ride, don't try to follow others as your skill level may not be on par with theirs.

But it's so fun to watch the outcome after >=)

It's my opinion/experience that the guys who are "rippin' it up" on the street aren't necessarily experienced. The people who have ridden a long time (or logged lots of seat time) have gained an appreciation of the level of risk they are comfortable with against their skills & abilities. The best riders that I've known (fastest & most proficient) don't view the street, particularly in urban areas to be a suitable place to go fast or aggressive. In short, too much risk posed unskilled and/or inattentive drivers, cyclists or pedestrians as well as variable road conditions and unforeseeable circumstances.

The OP acknowledged that he may have at times lacked awareness, followed too close and took risks that were beyond his abilities. The fact that he's able to acknowledge these things says to me that he has the capacity to improve his skill, or at the very least recognize his skill level and ride within it.

If I were to offer one piece of advice to him I would suggest NOT commuting on the bike EVERY day. Plan for a day or 2 a week on public transit or in the car, particularly on rainy/crappy days.

I do believe I have more than basic skill, and I do not over do myself. I really haven't had any issues between the Mac Truck and now tbh. My falls in my first season happened within the first few months of riding and after the second one I was fine up until the Mac earlier this summer. I feel like those were due to inexperience, but this recent I feel due to bad luck. It was morning after it rained the night before.. I was actually not planning on riding in until I saw that it had past.

No offense, but your own statement sums up your problem, and the first thing you need to do is change your mindset if you want to continue riding (safely). Each of those low-sides were caused precisely by lack of skill and overdoing yourself - you got yourself into three situations in a short time where you didn't have the skill to stop or turn based on the conditions. Doesn't matter if you're doing 20 or 200 km/h, the principle is the same. Those had nothing to do with bad luck.

The OP acknowledged that he may have at times lacked awareness, followed too close and took risks that were beyond his abilities. The fact that he's able to acknowledge these things says to me that he has the capacity to improve his skill, or at the very least recognize his skill level and ride within it.

And with this, it sounds like OP is on the right track.

This is a lot more common then most riders believe. Take an advance riding course. Sharp Rider teaches the Total Control program. This program is based on Lee Parks best selling book Total Control. Lee designed this program for street riding and deals with motorcycling as a whole, not just the physical skills but the mental aspects as well. For most riders, if they can get out of there own heads, there riding improves vastly in a few short hours.

http://www.sharpridermotorcycletraining.com

Thank you for this. I will look into this for the upcoming 2019 season.

Maybe seperate your motorcycle learning in two groups might help. Improve you riding abililty and heighten your general riding awareness.
check out motojistu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQmjUIpF8gw to learning how to improve your riding. General awareness is pretty self explanatory but were you checking your mirrors at stops, do you have a "exit path" at stops, do you see the driver ahead wanting to make a left, are you following to close, etc.
"It seems as though I don"t give myself enough time to properly react." basically your riding above your limit
Accidents are not one single thing, it's a chain reaction of mulitiple events. If you reconize the events you will set your self for improvements.
"
Funny enough I have not gotten into any accidents in a cage " Things you have "gotten away with" driving you probably won't on a bike ie a little tire slip or braking hard.
Anyhow, don't wait till spring to start improving there are lots of books, videos and forums to check out during the winter. Also, good on you for thinking about taking the Sharp course. I might see you there!

Back
Top Bottom