Should I just stop riding?... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Should I just stop riding?...

Were all your accidents while you were commuting? Either way maybe you should stop this and only ride when you want to ride. It might be possible while you are commuting you are not thinking like a rider and more about just reaching the destination and getting caught up with the non sense on the roads.

If i could only ride in Toronto,i would give up riding street for sure.

I started riding ....and driving.... in downtown TO. In my case, felt like it prepared me to ride anywhere. Never had a problem with wet street car tracks, metal plates, etc. Just have to treat them with respect due to the conditions and ride appropriately.

no one mentioned that maybe a 2nd year rider on a CBR600F4 may not be the best idea?

Last edited:
yup and you don't get four close calls in a couple seasons, but at least you'll probably never slip on street car tracks

True.When i look at the posts in Fallen Riders this year,punching holes in the sky seems a lot safer.

At a minimum, take a break from riding for a while. Re-evaluate your situation next spring. When in doubt, stop riding.

My $0.02.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

no one mentioned that maybe a 2nd year rider on a CBR600F4 may not be the best idea?

missed that ... that is a seriously scary bit of kit for a new rider.

.yep ...reload - perhaps something you can take in the dirt and really improve your riding skills and the bikes are built to take some spills.

Take a course at Motopark in Chatsworth

https://www.motoparkracing.com/5-day-motocross-camp.html

There is a reason that ADV bikes are a very strong category. If you are not touring even the Versys 300 would be fun in the city and capable off pavement.

You need to develop comfort both braking and riding on uncertain surfaces.......if you continue.

Last edited:
Well, it seems you may have fallen prey to the "too much bike too fast" situation that many of us here tirelessly try to steer new riders away from.

If I had that many crashes in a short period of time I'd be soul searching as well.

So, a few questions:

1/ Did you actually ever get any formal training when you started riding? How did you get your M2/M - a course, or just the minimal MTO route?

2/ Are you willing to go get more advanced rider training? Things like dumping on streetcar tracks IMHO is rooted in lack of situational awareness as well as over control - more training can help. Certainly can't hurt.

3/ Are you willing to admit you have too much bike and either downsize or switch styles completely, IE SS to Adventure, or heck, cruiser? Or are you stuck hard and fast on the sport segment?

If the answer to both 2 and 3 above are not "Yes, absolutely", then I think it may be time to hang it up.

Trying not to be condescending OP but going down twice on tracks sounds like either you have an equipment problem combined with crappy conditions (e.g. wet tracks, slick tires) or you're lacking the awareness of the safe way to approach and cross tracks. Getting hit from behind is always a risk in this province since we can't filter but when you're stuck in traffic, keeping a keen awareness of what's happening behind you can give you the opportunity to force-filter to safety or even to drop the bike and run.

Now that riding season is drawing down I'd recommend (a) buy David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling and read it cover to cover and (b) consider saving up for a refresher safety course in the spring when the new season dawns.

It's going to be a long, ****** winter. Don't make a rush decision now when you may just need to brush up on a few things.

"Before the Mac Truck a 78 CB400..after the Mac 99 CBR600F4... Maybe I need something with ABS lol.." --well, yeah, I'd try something way newer. The '78 CB400 -- that's a 40-year old bike! And the '99 CBR is pushing 20 years. I wouldn't feel confident on either of the these bikes.
Aside from these antique bikes you've been riding I'd say keep riding if it brings you joy.
Getting rear-ended by a Mac truck is really just unfortunate luck and It could happen to anyone who rides a motorcycle on a reguar basis. It has little to do with riding ability. Two years riding motorcycles is a drop in the bucket.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Not a popular choice on this page but I commute almost everyday downtown to dundas and university on a dual sport. Mostly because it's fun and I enjoy riding downtown. I've had 0 issues.
I hear you, those streetcar tracks are brutal, especially when wet, just gotta go slow. Just keep riding, life is too short.

Well...you can't give up if it makes you happy....take some more professional courses....I had so many spills and bangs over the years and Toronto does take much of the joy out....but it is in your blood......I agree re dual sport....and will add cruiser to that.....but it is a very risky business in Toronto....and changes for the worst every year....I regularly debate quitting...but you have to weigh the pros and cons....i have been riding since I was 16.in UK..now in my 50s

I lowsided my first year going too fast and had someone turn in front of me two years after that. Haven't hit or gone down since then.
Had to say after the first one i did re-evaluate the situation.

As someone else said, either its your skills or luck that just isn't in it. Unfortunately, seeing how only 1 out of the 4 were due to other drivers and your motorcycle choices, I'd say its your skill/experience that's lacking.

Two choices for you: 1. ride outside of the city or get into dirt and get more experience, preferably with a lower CC bike. or 2. hang it up altogether.
there's always 3. don't listen to the advice given here and continue what you were doing, most likely end up in a different thread here at this rate.

Mind you I did get rear ended by the Mac Truck so it wasn't my fault but still..issue none the less..

Yes pack it in. 1 - if you have to ask, you'll never know. 2 - you get rear-ended by anything, it's 100% your fault. 3 - I don't know how much 4 accidents in 2 years is going to impact my insurance rates, but if it does at all, that's crap ....

I like the way you word this - "may not be". A good friend of mine started on a '97 F3, and in 2 years racked up 60,000km without a spill. It's maybe a separate thread on easiest bikes to feel comfortable on, but I've ridden more than my share and it was instantly comfortable to ride. I'd recommend it as a starter bike for sane riders. It wouldn't be my first choice, but in the top 10 perhaps.

In this case, the proof is in the pudding as they say people say, although I've never heard anyone actually say it. 4 accidents in 2 years ..... yeah, maybe not the best idea here!!

Back
Top Bottom