What would cause this? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What would cause this?

jeff96

Finished a night shift, drove home, backed into the driveway and went to bed.
On the way to work last night, I couldn't figure out why the ice on the back wouldn't melt. When I checked it out, the entire piece of glass was shattered, only held together by window tint.
Can a stone chip turn into this with temperature fluctuations? I couldn't see any particular point of impact
41b5bc9feb3cb4704d4ec58f9e837674.jpg
ec09c803627d5a0b05c8922b27650dc5.jpg

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

How do you get a stone chip on your rear glass? Getting tempered glass to chip without exploding is not an easy feat.

Some cars have a history of self-destructing glass (often sunroof panels). It is also simple enough for someone with a little knowledge to destroy a window quite easily. Are you sure this wasn't intentional?

A spring loaded punch would do it in a flash, but I don't know of anyone with a grudge that would do that. I'm in a small town, so grudges become public knowledge pretty quickly. My ex wouldn't have the know how. Maybe a random thing. I'd like to think there's a more benign explanation

My ex-wife had that happen at a baseball diamond to her brand-new Mazda 3 - foul ball. Don't park too close!

Otherwise extreme temperature change to flawed glass can do it.

Motorcycle holding a grudge that you stopped riding her???

Seriously though that is quite strange. How old is the vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah maybe. She knows it's not over yet though.

It's a 2012. A search on the interweb shows that it's not common, but spontaneous shattering of tempered glass is a thing.

Motorcycle holding a grudge that you stopped riding her???

Seriously though that is quite strange. How old is the vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a common problem in some cars... For example my F-150 with rear defrost and power sliding window it's all but a guarantee every couple of years.

It can also happen when the rear defrost starts to get defective and develops hot spots.

Go to a glass shop to get it fixed, most insurance policies cover it with no bump in premiums... Which for me was good cause mine is about $800 in parts and $200 in labour
0771cdf7bed5a8a928bbad7b6d3ae2b5.jpg
637e3803e437aaf33e5962e2267f6556.jpg
7af1c1065e05b14d807c6808514cb5db.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I actually saw it happen once. I was stopped behind another car at a light and their rear window just shattered.

I worked for a window and door company years ago and sometimes we got a bad batch of tempered for patio doors. The odd one popped.

Tint in some cases can make it worse by absorbing heat.

I don't know if insurance automatically covers glass any more.

Good luck with a resolution

Thanks for the comments. I shopped around. No one was interested in waiving the deductible since it wasn't a very expensive job compared to my 500$ deductible. After calling a few places, I got it done for 350$

I'm going to look at another Kia to compare. It looks like the new glass is spaced away from the metalwork a little bit. Otherwise it seems fine.
Richmond Hill Autoglass

I did it when I was younger with a bb gun. Cheap gun, cold morning, bb went off on a tangent. My dad's little Toyota pick up truck, back window splintered.

Back
Top Bottom