Interested in Apple TV 4K, who has it? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Interested in Apple TV 4K, who has it?

DJM

Site Supporter
Saw it at Costco today but it wasn't hooked up to check out and I'm trying to determine if it's something I can get for the missus as an xmas gift since she's pretty well all Apple ecosystem now.

Are the movies free or is it all paid subscription based? What other channels do you get that would make it a better replacement then say, the apps on our smart tv. Any NHL/CFL feeds or is it paid as well?

We have Amazon Prime and Netflix accounts already and I have OTA that gives me CBC and some American feeds, is there more included with Apple?

Apple TV isn't a content service, rather, think of it as a computer that's a dedicated browser that connects to specific content providers (e.g. Netflix, Youtube, iTunes). If the content is free at that provider (e.g. Youtube) you can watch it for free through your Apple TV device. If you have to pay (e.g. Netflix, movies and TV on iTunes) for the content, then the Apple TV device logs on to your paid account and you can then watch your content.

I have the aTV3 the one before this. The remote is total garbage. don't expect any free stuff it is all itunes based media. Mine you there are some free apps to allow you to stream some free stuff, mostly all old movies, and tv series.

Try and visit a store with it connected and see for yourself. You can browse itunes online for apps to get a sense of what is available.

Oh and the interface for getting around stuff is much better then other brands. I had a roku, and well it was terrible. I returned it immediately and got the aTV.

As well if you have "other" non attached service content you can use infuse and VLC app on aTV to stream to your TV.

Sent from the moon!

Last edited:
I use mine to access Netflix, Youtube, and some other content on my television, but I'm technologically challenged.
It's just another resource that allows me to waste time in front of the TV, but I like it.

If people are just using it to access content, I can't see the apple premium being of any value (>$200!!!??? cough). I would use that money for a smart TV with access built in or chromecast/roku/fire stick if I wanted something that was easy to plug in.

Reactions: J_F
I have 2 NVidia shields and they are great! Play anything thrown at them plus I’ve played a few network games on them that were freebies bundled with the player. They aren’t cheap but they are......slightly different animals to the apple devices. PM me for details.

We're all Apple at home. I use the AppleTV3 to access my paid services as stated above. (Netflix, Prime). I run a Plex server at home and the Plex app works well.
The AppleTVs also allow you to 'Airplay' the content from your devices (phones / tablets) to the big screen. It's an easy way for us to show pictures, videos.
If you subscribe to AppleMusic, you should be able to access it via your ATV as well. I like it due to its ease of use.

We're all Apple at home. I use the AppleTV3 to access my paid services as stated above. (Netflix, Prime). I run a Plex server at home and the Plex app works well.
The AppleTVs also allow you to 'Airplay' the content from your devices (phones / tablets) to the big screen. It's an easy way for us to show pictures, videos.
If you subscribe to AppleMusic, you should be able to access it via your ATV as well. I like it due to its ease of use.

Basically this. The Apple content system is not great, unless maybe you intend to buy movies. The Apple TV is a device to access third party content providers such as Netflix, Amazon, Plex, etc.

It's the same class of device as a FireTV or Roku. The Apple TV has the added benefit of being able to AirPlay from any Apple device, and being plugged into the whole Apple ecosystem.

I didn't include smart tv's as all of the one's I have seen have the smart features as an afterthought.

We are turning into an all Apple house, but I fail to see the leap in benefit from Chromecast (current) to AppleTV.

I use Netflix, Spotify, Youtube on the TV. I would love to mirror my phone to the TV but cannot do that from an iPhone via. Chromecast.

Is it worth it to pony up for AppleTV? Does it require any sort of subscription as well? Not really in the mood to pay more $ per month as I already have Rogers TV, Spotify, Netflix etc.

We are turning into an all Apple house, but I fail to see the leap in benefit from Chromecast (current) to AppleTV.

I use Netflix, Spotify, Youtube on the TV. I would love to mirror my phone to the TV but cannot do that from an iPhone via. Chromecast.

Is it worth it to pony up for AppleTV? Does it require any sort of subscription as well? Not really in the mood to pay more $ per month as I already have Rogers TV, Spotify, Netflix etc.

Does Chromecast still require a phone or computer to beam to the Chromecast, or can it work independently?

AppleTV does not require a subscription. If you're an otherwise Apple user, I would strongly recommend it. If not, Amazon's FireTV is fantastic for the price.

Does Chromecast still require a phone or computer to beam to the Chromecast, or can it work independently?

AppleTV does not require a subscription. If you're an otherwise Apple user, I would strongly recommend it. If not, Amazon's FireTV is fantastic for the price.

Yes I still need my phone/ or chrome browser if I’m the laptop to “cast” it to the screen.

I can’t seem to cast screen from my iPhone as it’s not supported well.

So what would AppleTV or Fire stick do over chrome cast? Can I .... say... access my phone videos on AppleTV without having to go into the phone itself?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I still need my phone/ or chrome browser if I’m the laptop to “cast” it to the screen.

I can’t seem to cast screen from my iPhone as it’s not supported well.

So what would AppleTV or Fire stick do over chrome cast? Can I .... say... access my phone videos on AppleTV without having to go into the phone itself?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well to start, it has a remote (as does FireTV and Roku) so you don't need to use your phone or computer, it works completely independently. You can view your iphone photo's and video's directly from the AppleTV. Share your screen from your Apple device.

I personally don't use the Apple specific features much, mostly just to Airplay my screen or a video from my Macbook/iPad to the TV. I use it mostly for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Plex streaming. As just a streaming box, it offers a fantastic interface, the Apple integration is a bonus

Well to start, it has a remote (as does FireTV and Roku) so you don't need to use your phone or computer, it works completely independently. You can view your iphone photo's and video's directly from the AppleTV. Share your screen from your Apple device.

I personally don't use the Apple specific features much, mostly just to Airplay my screen or a video from my Macbook/iPad to the TV. I use it mostly for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Plex streaming. As just a streaming box, it offers a fantastic interface, the Apple integration is a bonus

Thank you for the helpful responses. As a last question:

I only have the basic (free) iCloud membership which allows 5GB of storage.
Through AppleTV - am I able to access all of the content on my phone (videos/pics/) or only those stored in iCloud

Chromecast is worthless if you are using a Mac/iPhone. I'm hoping to ditch it asap.

Thank you for the helpful responses. As a last question:

I only have the basic (free) iCloud membership which allows 5GB of storage.
Through AppleTV - am I able to access all of the content on my phone (videos/pics/) or only those stored in iCloud

Chromecast is worthless if you are using a Mac/iPhone. I'm hoping to ditch it asap.

Pretty sure it's limited to those stored in iCloud. I have the 50gb plan which costs a $1 or so a month

Edit: Here are a couple comparisons
https://www.wired.com/gallery/best-4k-streaming-devices/
https://allpowermoves.com/best-streaming-device/

Pretty sure it's limited to those stored in iCloud. I have the 50gb plan which costs a $1 or so a month

Thanks - I just watched a few Youtube videos - looks like AppleTV and a Subscription for me.

Gah. Damn you Steve Jerbs.

some features, once launched, can continue after the mobile device is off
Netflix for instance, I use the PC to start a show, beam it to the Chromecast
after it's playing I can close the computer, let it hibernate, and Netlix keeps playing
so for some applications, the data goes directly from the router to the Chromecast

if casting from a VLC window, or a browser session
then yes, the PC or phone must stay always connected

Streaming media devices are necessary for many families, because they make it easier for us to access the Internet and save money, don't they? If you don't have a good purchase option, you might as well look at Tinkleo's various streaming media devices. I recommend H96 Max for you. Of course, you can choose it yourself.

here's an instance where members can't tell if this is a VigLink or spam

never heard of tinkleo, but they do have some neat gadgets

Back
Top Bottom