Reliability | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reliability

The 2015 Honda Odyssey decided last year in a Timmie's line that it didn't want to move anymore.

Luckily, we had lots of people behind us willing to push the car out of the line and into a spot.

It was towed to a shop. The following day it ran fine, had no codes, and has been working ever since.

Funny I should post about how reliable my Subie is when today it developed a misfire I've traced (99.99% sure...) to a bad ignition coil. :)

I had a 2004 wrx that I sold in its 13th year. Aside from regular maintenance, the only repair I ever needed to have done was one ignition coil that delaminated 10 years in. For a car that was driven hard, it was super reliable!

My wife drove a Yaris for to more than 310,000 kms, the only thing other than maintenance items (oil, belts, brakes etc) I had to replace was a wheel bearing. I could do a 4 corner brake job for $120 in parts. Fantastic little car. Not flashy, no frills, just ran well. I bought a 2017 Yaris hatch to drive in the GTA traffic and it was also superb. ~ 6.0 L/100 kms of my actual driving, most of which was bumper to bumper. I traded it in on a Tundra when I moved to Alberta.

Previously I have owned: Hondas, Subarus, Jeeps, BMWs, and many others. I can probably find one or two decent models in almost any manufacturer's line. But for consistently reliable and cheap to own I have to stick with Toyota and Subaru (which might as well be the same company anyway). My wife loves her new Impreza.

The 2015 Honda Odyssey decided last year in a Timmie's line that it didn't want to move anymore.

Luckily, we had lots of people behind us willing to push the car out of the line and into a spot.

It was towed to a shop. The following day it ran fine, had no codes, and has been working ever since.

That's the aggravating situation with the Hyundai. It's been running fine since the no start and no codes.

BTW I looked at a Kia today and they had the newest stupid idea. A fold down mirror so you could watch your kids in the back seat............watch them die in a crash???

That's the aggravating situation with the Hyundai. It's been running fine since the no start and no codes.

BTW I looked at a Kia today and they had the newest stupid idea. A fold down mirror so you could watch your kids in the back seat............watch them die in a crash???

Up between the visors? That has been available for decades.

internal rear view mirror so you don't turn your head away from the road is the lesser of the evils.

There's also a mirror you can hang on the front of the rear seat to see your baby in a rear facing car seat....by looking at the above mirror.

Err.. as opposed to turning around in the seat to see what they're up to?

On mine the fold down mirror doubles as a sunglasses holder.

I've never had luck purchasing a Toyota. Sienna was too small compared to the Honda.

Before that we'd looked at a Celica, but ended up in a top of the line Acura Integra GS-R for less money, and air conditioning.

internal rear view mirror so you don't turn your head away from the road is the lesser of the evils.

There's also a mirror you can hang on the front of the rear seat to see your baby in a rear facing car seat....by looking at the above mirror.

I'm old school. The driver's job is to provide safe transportation. The passengers need to shut up and stop distracting the driver.

that was the deepest, darkest wilderness era of GM quality
4.3 L V6 with a 3 speed automatic
no power
no economy
no reliability
perfect failure
Had a 90 Astro van that had 550K on her when I sold it (certified) -- had nothing but fuel, scheduled oil/tranny fluid changes and brakes. My neighbor has one with 1.1million km, motor and tranny overhauled once. Those were tough trucks.

Also had an 86 Audi 90 which went 500K before being scrapped, a Jaguar XJ6 that went 440K before giving up. Both engines were noisy but running, suspension issues landed them on the scrap heap. My last high miler was a 2002 Infinity Q45 that had 400K on the clock -- sold it to a Nissan mechanic who bought it for the motor which he installed into his Nissan pickup -- he said it performed 'like new'.

The present wreck is the wife's 07 Uplander. No major problems until now (235K) but needs front end work to certify and maybe brakes. The tranny has a hiccup that hasn't gotten any better or worse for three years. The street value doesn't warrant the work so it gets scrapped. The Uppy is hard to beat for versatility. Even the short version will carry a sheet of plywood if you don't mind a few inches sticking out. Build quality wasn't great but it worked.

Back
Top Bottom