Winter storage question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Winter storage question

AlexCB500

Hey guys,

I always put Shell No ethanol gas for winter storage before. This time though I miscalculated and put too much Regular gas on my "most likely" last trip this season. Should I somehow drain what's left and put Shell ... or just add stabilizer and relax? Thanks!

Hey guys,

I always put Shell No ethanol gas for winter storage before. This time though I miscalculated and put too much Regular gas on my "most likely" last trip this season. Should I somehow drain what's left and put Shell ... or just add stabilizer and relax? Thanks!
Add some Seafoam 1 oz per gallon. Fuel settles and goes bad.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I would either ride it off or syphon it out and burn it in a car. Realistically, seafoam is probably good enough, but I like the cheap insurance of no ethanol in the tank as I've seen the mess it makes.

I would either ride it off or syphon it out and burn it in a car. Realistically, seafoam is probably good enough, but I like the cheap insurance of no ethanol in the tank as I've seen the mess it makes.

I did the same thing, just siphoned it into a 20l gas can I have and then poured it into the car's tank. With 4 fairly difficult to access carburetors on my V4 ST the last thing I need is separated or gummed gas messing things up. Non-ethanol gas and stabilizer is dirt cheap insurance. What I do now is just start using non-ethanol gas after Labour Day, cost different is minimal and you never get caught with a tank of regular gas if you ride less than planned.

But you're going to hear lots of people say this is a waste of time, they've never had an issue etc.... You'll have to decide what to do.

Who's idea was it to burn food to move giant ass SUV's and minivans around North America? To fill one pickup truck or SUV uses the amount of corn that could feed an impovershed person for a year.

I did the same thing, just siphoned it into a 20l gas can I have and then poured it into the car's tank. With 4 fairly difficult to access carburetors on my V4 ST the last thing I need is separated or gummed gas messing things up. Non-ethanol gas and stabilizer is dirt cheap insurance. What I do now is just start using non-ethanol gas after Labour Day, cost different is minimal and you never get caught with a tank of regular gas if you ride less than planned.

But you're going to hear lots of people say this is a waste of time, they've never had an issue etc.... You'll have to decide what to do.

Thanks guys. I'll try to suck it out but it's not going to be easy with that metal wall in the middle of the tank.

It's a funny coincidence though, minutes after i typed the original post i read that my bike (Suzuki gsx-s750) apparently is being recalled for the O Ring in the TANK. If that's the case i will just ask the mechanics to leave the tank empty.

Hey guys,

Rode my MV today until the low fuel light came on, but I have a heated garage so condensation is not a problem and I can leave tanks empty. Race fuel has a great shelf life and that is what I would fill anything parked seasonably in wet sub zero winter conditions, ymmv.
I still have to ride the fuel out of the Beemer :D

... best way to get rid of old fuel in spring, use it in your lawn mower.

Last edited:
I've only ever used the Shell with no ethanol last winter. Every year before, just used regular and with stabilizer the last few years. Nothing ever happened with the bikes back then. Not sure I'll get to empty the tanks before storage this year, so may just add stabilizer.

Who's idea was it to burn food to move giant *** SUV's and minivans around North America? To fill one pickup truck or SUV uses the amount of corn that could feed an impovershed person for a year.

How much crude oil can you grow in a season?

How much crude oil can you grow in a season?
How about promoting smaller vehicles? Half of Ontario drives around in pick up trucks the size of small condos. $150 or more to fill up to drive one person around. So let's burn food for fuel to allow this stupidity and excess greed?!

;) How much corn did you grow last season?
It takes about 26 pounds of corn to make a gallon of alcohol which has about two thirds as much energy as the same volume of gasoline.
Nice thing about the methanol is they can also water it down :|

lol notice the price of gasoline dropped very lately? my guess is "winter" fuel season has started.

How about promoting smaller vehicles? Half of Ontario drives around in pick up trucks the size of small condos. $150 or more to fill up to drive one person around. So let's burn food for fuel to allow this stupidity and excess greed?!
No, I Need my big a** truck, I live in Canada not England.

I own a small car, it wasn't practical so it's n the driveway unplated while I drive my condo sized truck around. First it was because my boat looks funny on the roof of an HHR, but now more so because it's hard to tow a 6000lb travel trailer with a 2.4L gas engine. Bio-diesel can be made from food bi-products, but sadly diesel trucks COST as much as a small condo. The HHR also handles like **** in bad weather and I don't think I'd like the smell of it after a dump run or two.

Back to topic though, it's supposed to be nice on Tuesday Alex, get out for a rip and run down that gas if the ethanol content is a worry. I'm going to try and get both bikes out for a short rip after work and then prep them for storage, forecast says wet snow sunday, that's my cue and the R6 is still in the driveway. BTW guys, for anybody needing an extra one, Costco had energizer branded smart battery chargers(4a) for like $30 last time I was there, I picked up 3 of them for the boat, trailer and R6 batteries.

Hey guys,

It's hard to say. Ethanol is the issue, in Canada it's always a maybe as there is no strict requirement to add it to gasoline. My guess is that the gas you have recently purchased has no ethanol. Canadian gas suppliers add ethanol only when it's cost effective -- the current price of Ethanol is about 84 cents/l, and gasoline is about 77 cents/l (before tax) so there is no incentive to add ethanol.

If you want to be safe, add Stabil at the prescribed rate and run your engine for 20minutes at 1500 RPM to clear fuel lines and float bowl.

It's hard to say. Ethanol is the issue, in Canada it's always a maybe as there is no strict requirement to add it to gasoline. My guess is that the gas you have recently purchased has no ethanol. Canadian gas suppliers add ethanol only when it's cost effective -- the current price of Ethanol is about 84 cents/l, and gasoline is about 77 cents/l (before tax) so there is no incentive to add ethanol.

If you want to be safe, add Stabil at the prescribed rate and run your engine for 20minutes at 1500 RPM to clear fuel lines and float bowl.

Not sure about the elective ethanol addition...our customers simply get E10 if that's what their account is set up for, they do not get a variable blend. Rule of thumb for any of my seasonal engines is to stick to Shell or Canadian tire premium, as it is ethanol free.

i only use petro canada 94 octane on my triumph street triple r. when winterizing my bike this year should i fill it with shell gas you guys all speak of?

i only use petro canada 94 octane on my triumph street triple r. when winterizing my bike this year should i fill it with shell gas you guys all speak of?
Where you buy the gas isn't important. The important part is to make sure its Ethanol free gas.

Wrong gas.Shell 91 is ethanol free.

Back
Top Bottom