Winter (Snow) Riding | GTAMotorcycle.com

Winter (Snow) Riding

Would you ride in the snow?

• Total voters

RacerX

Does anyone ride Motocross/dirtbikes in the winter when its snowing, either because they're crazy (good kind of crazy) or to keep their skills sharp, fun etc.

If not, would you do it.

Define "snow" riding. I've been out dirt biking when theres a couple inches on the ground, deep snow though? Forget it. Used to have a MX track on my uncles farm and if we burned enough laps with a bit of snow the dirt would show through and we could still have some good fun. I've also had professionally studded tires and did some ice riding on the lake at the cottage and that I can say is a blast. Cleared a nice track loop with some atv plows, that's where its at! Sadly don't get up north enough in the winter I sold all the ice setup stuff.

Just look for the right kind of rubber to manage the conditions.

Big knobbies don’t do well when the surface is slick and icy.

Also, make sure the rear brake is working well as front end washing out from grabby hands makes for a disappointing ride.

I see them out there. Mostly ADV types and geared up to stay warm. And the occasional nut on a Ural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Define "snow" riding. I've been out dirt biking when theres a couple inches on the ground, deep snow though? Forget it. Used to have a MX track on my uncles farm and if we burned enough laps with a bit of snow the dirt would show through and we could still have some good fun. I've also had professionally studded tires and did some ice riding on the lake at the cottage and that I can say is a blast. Cleared a nice track loop with some atv plows, that's where its at! Sadly don't get up north enough in the winter I sold all the ice setup stuff.

That is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about, glad to see there are guys out there who do this. I'm looking forward to finding a decent dirtbike so I don't have to give up riding completely in the winter except when the snow is too deep.

Just look for the right kind of rubber to manage the conditions.

Big knobbies don’t do well when the surface is slick and icy.

Also, make sure the rear brake is working well as front end washing out from grabby hands makes for a disappointing ride.

I see them out there. Mostly ADV types and geared up to stay warm. And the occasional nut on a Ural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, agreed. I've already looked into tires and have found the perfect set.

Did it years ago but wouldn't again.

Why not?

My daughter and i a couple years ago at the Grand Prix de Snow.
GP%20de%20Snow_zpsfe8xkwnf.jpg

I do ice riding every year. it's a blast.
you have to use a 450 tho as it is so hard on the 250's. you're wide open all the time.

That is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about, glad to see there are guys out there who do this. I'm looking forward to finding a decent dirtbike so I don't have to give up riding completely in the winter except when the snow is too deep.

Yup, agreed. I've already looked into tires and have found the perfect set.

Why not?
It's good to be able to get out a few times in the winter. However, if you don't have a lake to ride whenever you feel like it, it may not worth the investment.
e63d0b0087a6ca8876521b391d5cd6b6.jpg

Honda Ruckus does beer run in the snow

[video=youtube;X0m9Yh0XRO8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0m9Yh0XRO8[/video]

Is a blast riding the trials bikes on ice covered snow, doesn't happen too often but if there are lots of snow drifts and then a good layer of freezing rain crust over it you can ride almost anywhere. otherwise :D I have a nice inland lake in my front yard that freezes over early and stays frozen well after most of the other lakes become dangerous due to currents.

I did a little ice riding years ago, used to run ice studs in my CAN AM 250, it was great for running the Holland River and Cooks Bay.

I revisited that trip last winter on a CRF125 -- Kenny Riedmann left his ice studded putt-putt in my garage last winter, I took it up the river for a nostalgic ice run. I'm too old now for any serious ice riding, if you haven't tried it you're missing a thrilling motorcycle experience

If I had a MX and was riding off roads maybe, but not on the street. Even if you adjust for the conditions, tires aren't designed for the temps, too much salt on the roads, plus too many idiots around you going faster than they should with all seasons or summers still on (but it's ok...their Audi has AWD... lol)

Great feedback guys.
So I take it the MX bikes don't require insrance; as long as you're riding off road then you're good I'm assuming?
I've never had road insurance on any off-road motorcycle,
;) but riding on a lake might be a grey area if it's rated at over 10 horsepower and you aren't carrying a life jacket, bailing bucket, rope and a whistle.

I've never had road insurance on any off-road motorcycle,
;) but riding on a lake might be a grey area if it's rated at over 10 horsepower and you aren't carrying a life jacket, bailing bucket, rope and a whistle.

Excellent, I'll make sure to wear the lifejacket while riding and put a sticker saying 9HP one the bike.:cool:

Excellent, I'll make sure to wear the lifejacket while riding and put a sticker saying 9HP one the bike.:cool:

Better make sure that sticker doesn't add any horsepower, lol.

Great feedback guys.
So I take it the MX bikes don't require insrance; as long as you're riding off road then you're good I'm assuming?

That's a great pic of father and daughter.
Wrong MX bikes need insurance anywhere but your own property or a sanctioned track or event.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wrong MX bikes need insurance anywhere but your own property or a sanctioned track or event. ...
According to what law?
... not suggesting competition motorcycle insurance is a bad thing (if you can even get it) only questioning if it is mandated by law.

Back
Top Bottom