$4800 Speeding Ticket! | GTAMotorcycle.com

$4800 Speeding Ticket!

...and a three month ban.

Switzerland: The Singapore of the Western world, where minor infractions are dealt with by draconian force.

Is there a TLDW for this?

144km/hr in an 80 zone. 3 month ban and $4k swiss francs fine.
So it was a slap on the wrist for a video promotion?

Apparently he was 2km away from going to prison. Ridiculous. I rode this exact route (Grimsel to Furka) back in '12 and '13 and had zero comprehension how severe the speeding penalties are. I guess Ontario's 50km over speed racing penalties aren't the worst in the world...

Womp womp

Switzerland has income/wealth based financial penalties if your speeding offense merits a summons

Always understand the differences in law when you drive in other countries, don't assume things are even close to the same

P.S. Getting caught for 50km/h over here will kneecap you as well

I thought here it was $10,000 and a two year suspension upon conviction, but first they impound your vehicle for seven days. I don't know who this Grumble is, but going out for beer to celebrate, doesn't sound like he's too broken up about it.

I thought here it was $10,000 and a two year suspension upon conviction, but first they impound your vehicle for seven days. I don't know who this Grumble is, but going out for beer to celebrate, doesn't sound like he's too broken up about it.
Baron Von Grumble is one of the largest motorcycle Vloggers on YouTube. He's famous for taking a GSX-R 1000 off road, being an incredibly funny and down-to-earth guy and later teaming up with BSB racer Alister Fagan to form the channel 44 Teeth. In the video you are watching, they are doing their motorcycle version of the TV show Top Gear...and they are really good at it. I wouldn't be surprised to see them picked up by network TV...highly recommended.

Baron Von Grumble GSX-R 1000 off road: https://youtu.be/CqgEl53x7CM

44 Teeth: https://www.youtube.com/user/FortyFourTeeth

They had up to $5000 to spend on these current two bikes to travel through Europe. The last Budget Bike series, they had up to $2500...it was quite funny to watch.

In Ontario, HTA 172 is from $2000 - $10,000, loss of bike, loss of license and loss of life as you know it as you'll never get insurance again...hence why many sportbikes here don't stop for cops. I get your point, and you are most definitely right...Ontario is actually more severe. Switzerland is just a cash grab on petrol heads travelling through their country on the way to Italy which is very fair on speeding. There should be an information kiosk at the border informing tourists of their radical cash grab IMO.

Last edited:
...and a three month ban.

Switzerland: The Singapore of the Western world, where minor infractions are dealt with by draconian force.

Not really, their drug laws and other criminal laws are very lenient. Eastern Europeans go there to make careers out of drug dealing and get a slap on the wrist, in other countries for the same things they'd get years in prison.

It looks like they take speeding very $eriou$ly though, those cops didn't even look upset, they sounded like they were just handing out t-shirts at a bike show. Here the cops would be talking to the rider like a parent to an 8 year old who is misbehaving. If you want to speed in Europe take it to Germany soon, before the nanny liberals get to their highway laws too eventually...

In Ontario, HTA 172 is from $2000 - $10,000, loss of bike, loss of license and loss of life as you know it as you'll never get insurance again....

I'd like to see some stats on the number of people charged under HTA 172 and the fine they actually paid. I assume everyone paid the $2,000, but I'd like to know the #/% breakdown of fines above $2,000 up to the $10,000 and circumstances.

Doing 150 kph on the 407 is really not a big deal as rush hour traffic flows at 130 - 135 and the speed limit is 100 kph. Doing 90 kph in a 40 kph school zone is a different issue IMHO.

I can tell you that HTA 172 definitely has had an impact on myself and the people I ride with. We are very mindful of the speed limit in general and, in particular, coming in to small towns where the limit can drop from 80 or 90 kph to 40 or 50 kph as a mistake in these circumstances could prove to be very expensive.

I wondered how they could get way off the side and knee drag on a public road but I guess there's the answer :| speeding.

Not really, their drug laws and other criminal laws are very lenient. Eastern Europeans go there to make careers out of drug dealing and get a slap on the wrist, in other countries for the same things they'd get years in prison. It looks like they take speeding very $eriou$ly though, those cops didn't even look upset, they sounded like they were just handing out t-shirts at a bike show. Here the cops would be talking to the rider like a parent to an 8 year old who is misbehaving. If you want to speed in Europe take it to Germany soon, before the nanny liberals get to their highway laws too eventually...

What's your sample size? i.e. How many times have you documented yourself and others being pulled over and lectured like an 8 year old?

p.s. If you do go to Germany, please speed on the parts of the Autobahn where it's allowed. They take speeding very seriously through towns and on side roads.

I've known someone who's done high speed touring through Switzerland and the Alps. Perhaps, he took a different route, where speeding is less enforced?

I'd like to see some stats on the number of people charged under HTA 172 and the fine they actually paid. I assume everyone paid the $2,000, but I'd like to know the #/% breakdown of fines above $2,000 up to the $10,000 and circumstances.

Doing 150 kph on the 407 is really not a big deal as rush hour traffic flows at 130 - 135 and the speed limit is 100 kph. Doing 90 kph in a 40 kph school zone is a different issue IMHO.

I can tell you that HTA 172 definitely has had an impact on myself and the people I ride with. We are very mindful of the speed limit in general and, in particular, coming in to small towns where the limit can drop from 80 or 90 kph to 40 or 50 kph as a mistake in these circumstances could prove to be very expensive.

1) HTA 172 can cost you a couple of grand before you're convicted. That is he sign of a government not knowing how to govern.

2) HTA 172 is the reason I don't even work out the math for owning a performance vehicle. Why buy something you can't even use once on a remote road? It's not just speed. It covers out accelerating, definition? plus a bunch of other vague BS.

Back
Top Bottom