Insurance for 16 Year Old in Waterloo?

Thread: Insurance for 16 Year Old in Waterloo?

Insurance for 16 Year Old in Waterloo?

Forum Sponsor
    Hey guys, I will be a new rider in May and was wondering if anyone knew a few price ranges, I know it will be expensive since I am a new rider, I will also be taking the safety course.

First bike Iím looking at is New Ninja 400 ABS 2018

New Ninja 650 ABS 2018

and Suzuki GSX R-600 2014

Re: Insurance for 16 Year Old in Waterloo?

Thousands. Many thousands.

Have you called anyone (brokers, agents etc)?
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

Find an old(er) Ninja 250/300 if you want even remotely affordable insurance. New rider, zero experience, your desire for a very late model year bike, and 16YO is not a pretty recipe for affordable insurance.

The 650 will probably cost you 3-5x as much as a 250, and the gixxer600 will be probably in the $1000+/month range, if you can find anyone even willing to underwrite it.

Were you planning to finance? If so, remember, you will be required to carry full insurance vs just liability, so even more $$$.

My suggestion is to find something in the ~10 year old range, low CC, buy it outright for cash, and get quotes for liability only. As for the ultimate price tag, nobody here can give you exact numbers as there's way too many variables.
    --VTX1300 (Mine)
    ---Vstar 1100 (Wife)
    ----VStar 650 (Sold)
    -----GZ250 Marauder (Sold)
    Insurance Price Heat Map

Oh honey. Before you spend a single cent further on any of this, make sure to call every broker possible. Often family discounts are possible if you call your parent's broker. Furthermore, just to establish a baseline, make sure you are also quoting a bike that is relatively cheap to insure, e.g. a 2008 Honda CBR125.
    2006 Honda CB919
    "Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things." -Douglas Adams

OP mentioned he/she knew it was going to be expensive, but never said that price would be a barrier. Maybe price isn't a concern and they're just looking for a ballpark.
    OP - For the bikes listed, you'll probably be in the range of $3-8k with the GSXR 600 being the most expensive.

Almost guaranteed that only facility will be available for the suzuki. Maybe even the 650 Ninja.
    Steed: 2017 Honda Shadow Phantom
    2003 Yamaha YZFR6
    Cage: 2006 F150 4x4 Supercrew

Quote Originally Posted by jc100 View Post
    Hmm...if criminals are just going to go ahead and ignore laws can you explain why we have them?

Good luck to you. My rates with 3 years exp on a 600 are still like $1800
    Last edited by johnnnw; 11-12-2018 at 09:18 PM.

...and of course we won't be hearing from him again!

realisticaly speaking, even if money isnt the problem for him i doubt it very much that any company will take him on an SS at 16 with only m1 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bigslimjim View Post
    realisticaly speaking, even if money isnt the problem for him i doubt it very much that any company will take him on an SS at 16 with only m1 lol.
    If money isn't a concern, then there's always facility insurance. Not that I'm familiar with it, but it is my understanding that they insure anyone with a license. It may cost a fortune though

Go with a 250cc dual sport. Crf250l, klx250s, xt250... Something along those lines. Still won't be cheap though.

Quote Originally Posted by Katatonic View Post
    OP mentioned he/she knew it was going to be expensive, but never said that price would be a barrier. Maybe price isn't a concern and they're just looking for a ballpark.
    OP - For the bikes listed, you'll probably be in the range of $3-8k with the GSXR 600 being the most expensive.
    yes, some people are not overly affected by paying several thousand a year for insurance (family $$)

the gixxer would be difficult to get insured at all
    Ninja 400 would be a great starter bike
    650R is okay, but kind of an old guy bike (from the perspective of a 16 year old)

hope you have 10 or 12 thousand kicking around for insurance

chances are he wont even be able to flat foot on a gsxr at 16 years old lol... probably just a kid that got an idea in his head and all his buddies are going over the same ******** thats always said "get a 600 broo"

ninja 400 would be a good fit for him for few years until he disciplines himself enough to get on an ss

My 16 yr old is taller than me and can probably flat foot a SS. But that's about all. lol

I'd start with a 2008+ Ninja 250. Great bike to learn on, a lot of fun around town and won't kill you on insurance.

If you're in Waterloo, join our riding group in my signature. We do regular group rides & track days

Quote Originally Posted by kruzuki View Post
    ...and of course we won't be hearing from him again!
    Didn't get answer he wanted.
    --VTX1300 (Mine)
    ---Vstar 1100 (Wife)
    ----VStar 650 (Sold)
    -----GZ250 Marauder (Sold)
    Insurance Price Heat Map