Insurance for 16 Year Old in Waterloo? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance for 16 Year Old in Waterloo?

QfromLoo

Hey guys, I will be a new rider in May and was wondering if anyone knew a few price ranges, I know it will be expensive since I am a new rider, I will also be taking the safety course.

First bike I’m looking at is New Ninja 400 ABS 2018

New Ninja 650 ABS 2018

and Suzuki GSX R-600 2014

Thousands. Many thousands.

Have you called anyone (brokers, agents etc)?

Find an old(er) Ninja 250/300 if you want even remotely affordable insurance. New rider, zero experience, your desire for a very late model year bike, and 16YO is not a pretty recipe for affordable insurance.

The 650 will probably cost you 3-5x as much as a 250, and the gixxer600 will be probably in the $1000+/month range, if you can find anyone even willing to underwrite it.

Were you planning to finance? If so, remember, you will be required to carry full insurance vs just liability, so even more $$$.

My suggestion is to find something in the ~10 year old range, low CC, buy it outright for cash, and get quotes for liability only. As for the ultimate price tag, nobody here can give you exact numbers as there's way too many variables.

Oh honey. Before you spend a single cent further on any of this, make sure to call every broker possible. Often family discounts are possible if you call your parent's broker. Furthermore, just to establish a baseline, make sure you are also quoting a bike that is relatively cheap to insure, e.g. a 2008 Honda CBR125.

OP mentioned he/she knew it was going to be expensive, but never said that price would be a barrier. Maybe price isn't a concern and they're just looking for a ballpark.
OP - For the bikes listed, you'll probably be in the range of $3-8k with the GSXR 600 being the most expensive.

Almost guaranteed that only facility will be available for the suzuki. Maybe even the 650 Ninja.

realisticaly speaking, even if money isnt the problem for him i doubt it very much that any company will take him on an SS at 16 with only m1 lol.

realisticaly speaking, even if money isnt the problem for him i doubt it very much that any company will take him on an SS at 16 with only m1 lol.
If money isn't a concern, then there's always facility insurance. Not that I'm familiar with it, but it is my understanding that they insure anyone with a license. It may cost a fortune though

OP mentioned he/she knew it was going to be expensive, but never said that price would be a barrier. Maybe price isn't a concern and they're just looking for a ballpark.
OP - For the bikes listed, you'll probably be in the range of $3-8k with the GSXR 600 being the most expensive.

yes, some people are not overly affected by paying several thousand a year for insurance (family $$)

the gixxer would be difficult to get insured at all
Ninja 400 would be a great starter bike
650R is okay, but kind of an old guy bike (from the perspective of a 16 year old)

chances are he wont even be able to flat foot on a gsxr at 16 years old lol... probably just a kid that got an idea in his head and all his buddies are going over the same ******** thats always said "get a 600 broo"

ninja 400 would be a good fit for him for few years until he disciplines himself enough to get on an ss

I'd start with a 2008+ Ninja 250. Great bike to learn on, a lot of fun around town and won't kill you on insurance.

If you're in Waterloo, join our riding group in my signature. We do regular group rides & track days

Hey buddy you do know that by you getting a licence everybody else in your house will get an increase in insurance right? Up to a 100% increase, your parents. This is the reason I won't let my son get a licence when he turns 16, no way.

BTW Katatonic claims you can get insurance for $3k a year (what is he smoking?). I estimate your insurance quotes to be from $5,800 to $10,000/year.

Hey buddy you do know that by you getting a licence everybody else in your house will get an increase in insurance right? Up to a 100% increase, your parents. This is the reason I won't let my son get a licence when he turns 16, no way

1. Only if others in the house have their M as well, otherwise it won’t effect anyone at all if he only has his M (and not a G) as nobody else in the house has a motorcycle to begin with, and he wouldn’t have the class of licence required to drive their cars.
  2. Most insurance companies don’t charge any extra for a G1 driver in the household as they can’t drive their parents cars alone anyways. Neither of our kids cost us a dime extra when they had their G1’s.
  3. The cost to add them to our policy when they did both get their G2’s was <$500/year. Hardly “100%” more. :rolleyes:
  4. Once your kids own their own car and have their own policy your insurance goes back to normal, IE....you’re paying nothing extra at all.
If whatever little additional cost it might be to have your G1/G2 kid on your policy constitutes a financial hardship, you can sign a form explicitly excluding them from your policy as to avoid any increase. Just be damned sure they don’t drive your cars, as they will *not* be covered whatsoever if they do.

Just saying “no, you can’t get your licence” because of your perceived issues isn’t exactly true. Nor is it helpful for them when they’re suddenly in their 20’s, need their licence for a job or something, and have to suddenly start from scratch as a G1 driver...and trying to explain that to an employer, many whom can’t or won’t insure them without a full G licence...which will then take them a year or so minimum to achieve.

Back
Top Bottom