Buyers Market Starts......Now? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buyers Market Starts......Now?

RacerX

I've been doing a bit of research and mostly received advice that up until November would be the best time to buy a motorcycle generally speaking. What in your experiences had been the best time to buy a motorcycle?

I've been doing a bit of research and mostly received advice that up until November would be the best time to buy a motorcycle generally speaking. What in your experiences had been the best time to buy a motorcycle?
Now through Feb/March, in my experience

For a private sale, a good time to buy is before people put their bikes away for the winter, especially if they have to arrange storage. Once that's done, the ads will disappear and then you'll pay a premium in the spring when they pull their bikes out again.

If you're eyeing a bike on the dealership's floor, there are good deals all throughout the winter on new unsold current-year/last-year stock. End of the month is a good time to bargain. Lowballed a salesguy a few days after Christmas on a year-old brand new bike that had been sitting on the floor forever. Was surprised that he accepted it immediately without countering. Got over $6000 off MSRP, but made me think he'd have gone lower! :(

Oh well!

You mind sharing the details. What bike model and year? $6000 off is pretty impressive especially on a bike. I've never bought new but I heard there's not a lot of mark up on new bikes
For a private sale, a good time to buy is before people put their bikes away for the winter, especially if they have to arrange storage. Once that's done, the ads will disappear and then you'll pay a premium in the spring when they pull their bikes out again.

If you're eyeing a bike on the dealership's floor, there are good deals all throughout the winter on new unsold current-year/last-year stock. End of the month is a good time to bargain. Lowballed a salesguy a few days after Christmas on a year-old brand new bike that had been sitting on the floor forever. Was surprised that he accepted it immediately without countering. Got over $6000 off MSRP, but made me think he'd have gone lower! :(

Oh well!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

You mind sharing the details. What bike model and year? $6000 off is pretty impressive especially on a bike. I've never bought new but I heard there's not a lot of mark up on new bikes

r1200st-X2.jpg

The R1200ST was not a big seller. For a sport-tourer, it wasn't priced correctly. It was way too expensive compared to the hugely popular R1200RT, which could be had for a couple thousand more. Plus the R1200ST was butt ugly as well...

My wife was shopping around for STs, also looking at the VFR800, Sprint ST, ST4s which were all a lot cheaper than the R1200ST. This model was a MY2005, but had been sitting on the floor since late 2004. Every time we'd go into the dealership, we'd walk by it all the time shaking our head at the stupid price tag.

Fast forward a year later around Christmastime, the bike was still on the showroom floor and my wife still hadn't settled on an ST. She didn't mind the looks of the R1200ST, just the price was so stupid. The sales guy knew us very well (a lot of motorcycle salespeople in the GTA know us very well) and knew that we weren't tire kickers.

I told him that I wanted to spend no more than $21K on that bike all in (taxes, PDI, admin, etc) and we were totally shocked when when he accepted that lowball figure, with no countering. It was so fast, he probably would have accepted $20K (maybe less?). Was kind of kicking myself after, but hey, $6K off MSRP?

They discontinued that bike the year after... :lol:

Got good use out of it though, shipped it to Europe and rode all over the continent with it...

It may have seen a track day or two as well.

track-X2.jpg

Thanks for the detailed response. Didn't expect that.

I guess the more premium bikes have more wiggle room.
r1200st-X2.jpg

The R1200ST was not a big seller. For a sport-tourer, it wasn't priced correctly. It was way too expensive compared to the hugely popular R1200RT, which could be had for a couple thousand more. Plus the R1200ST was butt ugly as well...

My wife was shopping around for STs, also looking at the VFR800, Sprint ST, ST4s which were all a lot cheaper than the R1200ST. This model was a MY2005, but had been sitting on the floor since late 2004. Every time we'd go into the dealership, we'd walk by it all the time shaking our head at the stupid price tag.

Fast forward a year later around Christmastime, the bike was still on the showroom floor and my wife still hadn't settled on an ST. She didn't mind the looks of the R1200ST, just the price was so stupid. The sales guy knew us very well (a lot of motorcycle salespeople in the GTA know us very well) and knew that we weren't tire kickers.

I told him that I wanted to spend no more than $21K on that bike all in (taxes, PDI, admin, etc) and we were totally shocked when when he accepted that lowball figure, with no countering. It was so fast, he probably would have accepted $20K (maybe less?). Was kind of kicking myself after, but hey, $6K off MSRP?

They discontinued that bike the year after...

Got good use out of it though, shipped it to Europe and rode all over the continent with it...

It may have seen a track day or two as well.

track-X2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Apologies, I'm gently hijacking this thread, speaking of the best time to buy bikes...

I was in the midst of selling my motorcycle last week. Guy signed the UVIP (bill of sale on the last page) then he backed out. Anyway, my question is can I use that UVIP to sell the bike again if I just type my own bill of sale (last page) to accompany the other pages? Or do I nee to get an entire new UVIP? Cheers

I guess the more premium bikes have more wiggle room.

Also the manufacturer will sometimes offer dealerships a cash incentive or "trunk money" to help move slower-selling vehicles. Typically at year-end to clear last year's inventory and ready the showroom floor for the next years models.

If you go into the dealership and you see a vehicle that's been sitting there for several months, they'll take lowball offers more seriously than the more popular models.

Apologies, I'm gently hijacking this thread, speaking of the best time to buy bikes...

I was in the midst of selling my motorcycle last week. Guy signed the UVIP (bill of sale on the last page) then he backed out. Anyway, my question is can I use that UVIP to sell the bike again if I just type my own bill of sale (last page) to accompany the other pages? Or do I nee to get an entire new UVIP? Cheers

Yes you can. UVIP doesn't "expire", but once you sell it the new owner would need to get a new one when he sells it.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Will keep my eye out on the classifieds on here and Kijiji.

Definitely right now, especially in the private market - everyone who owns a bike and wants to move it to free up the money to buy something new in the spring (or is just getting out of riding and doesn't want to store it) will more than likely deal on the price.

Some will not as they know they will get more in the spring, so it pays to shop around.

This is the time to do the deals to try and get a good price. I threw out a price for my rebel and the guy took 900$ of AND trailered it to me for free. I couldn’t believe it.

Just be ready to pull the trigger quick as you won’t be the only one.

This is the time to do the deals to try and get a good price. I threw out a price for my rebel and the guy took 900$ of AND trailered it to me for free. I couldn’t believe it.

Just be ready to pull the trigger quick as you won’t be the only one.
Wait. You bought the Rebel? When? The 300 or 500?
Congrats!

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

There is a thread ("reasonably priced used bikes for sale") under general motorcycle discussion. There are some good deals and posters discuss why or why not thet think its a good deal. Take a look (and follow) this thread for an idea of whats out there and at what prices.

Under the "track days" forum heading there is also a thread (end of season TD/race bike deals) it you are considering such a bike.

Best luck.

Back
Top Bottom