Canadian mechanic wins yamaha world tech gp in japan | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canadian mechanic wins yamaha world tech gp in japan

Very impressive. Congrats to him :)

he was coached in part by LPakala who used to post here in tech section. LPakala was a CDN champion and runner up in the worlds. I found it pretty funny when he would post in tech, specific to Yamaha and get guys questioning the advice .

he was coached in part by LPakala who used to post here in tech section. LPakala was a CDN champion and runner up in the worlds. I found it pretty funny when he would post in tech, specific to Yamaha and get guys questioning the advice .

One thing I found about tech advice on forums is that it doesn't matter how good the advice is, there's always some tripper who wants to discredit people out of jealousy. Just look at any oil thread.

It's a problem on any advice forum. Actual lawyers get attacked for offering correct advice *in their specialty* by people who own Law & Order on VHS.

One thing I found about tech advice on forums is that it doesn't matter how good the advice is, there's always some tripper who wants to discredit people out of jealousy. Just look at any oil thread.

This is the reason why I don't bother offering technical advice on forums anymore. I've been a licensed technician for 25 years and I've worked in the technical departments of 3 manufacturers head offices. I've designed and taught technical training across Canada to most of the dealer service people in this country. I also designed testing modules for Yamahas "Tech GP" and conducted testing across Canada to find the winner. My positions also saw me guide dealer technicians in trouble shooting and diagnostics along with warranty authorizations.
When some people shoot off their mouths it does more than pi$$ off a forum member, it destroys the knowledge base that could be accessible on this website.
Some people haven't learned the reason why you've got 2 eyes and 2 ears but only 1 mouth.

Now you know the reason for my signature phrase below.

Last edited:
This is the reason why I don't bother offering technical advice on forums anymore. I've been a licensed technician for 25 years and I've worked in the technical departments of 3 manufacturers head offices. I've designed and taught technical training across Canada to most of the dealer service people in this country. I also designed testing modules for Yamahas "Tech GP" and conducted testing across Canada to find the winner. My positions also saw me guide dealer technicians in trouble shooting and diagnostics along with warranty authorizations.
When some people shoot off their mouths it does more than pi$$ off a forum member, it destroys the knowledge base that could be accessible on this website.
Some people haven't learned the reason why you've got 2 eyes and 2 ears but only 1 mouth.

Sorry to hear this dude.

This isn't specific to motorcycles sadly. It is quite common I encounter an obese person that buds in and tries to disclaim advice I'm giving when someone asks me. I just shut up and nod...I'm not the one that has troubles getting up stairs lol

Ego is a common problem in everything.

The worst part is that forums like reddit actually make this problem worse. For example, if you go to r/motorcycles and make any post about not starting on a supersport, you will get downvoted. There was also a post where some dude claimed he had xyz years of riding experience and truly believed to get on the brakes during a tank slapper. He had a **** ton of upvotes too. God knows how many idiots read that and will now crash during a tank slapper =/

Last edited:

MORE ROTELLA AND FARKLES !!! :lmao:

We are all very happy for and very proud of Brett!

I didn't do very much, Brett worked his butt off to achieve this great success. I'm still on here occasionally, but I live out west now.

Yup. This quote is part of why I have always tried to post with as much verifiable information as possible, including using my real name. I have found that it helps a bit. It also prevents me from offering too much advice based on speculation. Also I have to temper my advice a bit as it is impossible to determine the abilities of third party readers and I would hate to be even partially responsible for someone hurting themselves by running out of talent while wrenching or riding.

Luke

...as I am using the app, I don't see the sig that people use when they post from the browser...can someone tell me what @theassassin 's sig is?

I think with a little bit of reading, it's easy to see whose advice to follow. Sucks that sometimes that good advice gets beat down.

What does it take to become the tech champ?

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

...as I am using the app, I don't see the sig that people use when they post from the browser...can someone tell me what @theassassin 's sig is?

I think with a little bit of reading, it's easy to see whose advice to follow. Sucks that sometimes that good advice gets beat down.

What does it take to become the tech champ?

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Once you are certified high enough through the training system, you can take part in the competition. The first few rounds are online testing, then the numbers are whittled down and the top ten competitors in the country are brought to the head office for a day of competition. There are multiple stations and marks are assigned based on a wide variety of requirements as determined by the judges for each station. Once the day is done the marks are totaled up and the winner is crowned. The Canadian champion then has to travel to Japan to compete against ~20 of the best technicians in the world representing their countries and regions. The kicker is that competitors only have one shot at the world's, once you go, no matter how you do, you know you don't get another chance.

https://youtu.be/RZHhhaapnAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_nwMmIq5G4

Challenges are things like: precision measuring, sabotaged bikes (running conditions, no starts, etc), customer service challenges, etc. All the while you generally have a camera crew following you around giving you a sunburn from the spot lights.

Once you are certified high enough through the training system, you can take part in the competition. The first few rounds are online testing, then the numbers are whittled down and the top ten competitors in the country are brought to the head office for a day of competition. There are multiple stations and marks are assigned based on a wide variety of requirements as determined by the judges for each station. Once the day is done the marks are totaled up and the winner is crowned. The Canadian champion then has to travel to Japan to compete against ~20 of the best technicians in the world representing their countries and regions. The kicker is that competitors only have one shot at the world's, once you go, no matter how you do, you know you don't get another chance.

Sounds like a JeanClaude Van Dam movie

In reality its a tremendous opportunity for a tech , its years since I was in the trades but the things you learn from being around "faster swimming fishes" is real value.
There are those that share selflessly because they want everybody in the shop to be better, and the whole industry gets better as a result.

cool to hear a CDN win this
unfortunately unless the dude goes self employed
he'll be underpaid and under appreciated until he packs it in
even though he's a world class tech

NA sucks for trades
unless you go mining

cool to hear a CDN win this
unfortunately unless the dude goes self employed
he'll be underpaid and under appreciated until he packs it in
even though he's a world class tech

NA sucks for trades
unless you go mining

That's the trick. Self employed. You need to diversify too, into all small-engine machines not just motorcycles. There is a good living to be made. Also, I don't think a lot of people understand the difference between a friend who has taken apart and put together a couple of engines, and a true mechanic who does it 5 days a week. I can't remember how many "Engine has a funny sound, any ideas?" threads I have seen here and elsewhere. Then an argument breaks out, LOL. No matter, it's all entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom