What sorcery is this..? (Helmet audio witchcraft..?) | GTAMotorcycle.com

What sorcery is this..? (Helmet audio witchcraft..?)

Hack

This popped up in my FB feed today... https://domiosports.com/
Is there anyone here on the forum that has a notion, a clue, irrefutable scientific evidence that this works as well as the manufacturer says it does?

made in Canada apparently

Last edited:
I remember a few years ago seeing a similar product on Dragons Den. Except it wasn't specifically for helmets. Iirc you mounted it on an object like a canoe and the object would then resonate the sound.
I'm sure it works as well as it shows in the video. The demo was at relatively low speed in traffic. I'd be concerned about wind noise

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

It's just an audio transducer :/ why wouldn't it work, have you ever used an ultrasonic cleaner, same principal, different frequencies.
lol so no, it won't work on your cloth turban.

... do I want one; absolutely not.

Last edited:
Well, considering that technically it is illegal to mount anything to the outside of your helmet.

These stick on transducers work. I haven't heard the domio. Everyone I heard has sounded like three shades of ***.

As a first step it should be possible to run a calibration program (using a mic in your ear) to let the system try to compensate as much as possible. I haven't seen anyone do this. They are just dumb boxes that know nothing about the stiffness or mass of object they are attached to.

Ultimately, getting good full-range sound out of a transducer stuck to the outside of your helmet is likely impossible. You are just dealing with too many variables (mass/stiffness/absorption as a start) as well as what is fundamentally a spherical speaker with your head inside.

I guarantee it will not make you ride any better.

nobody has ever proven information overload to be a good thing, they have however proven it to be problematic. ymmv.
want music <- just sing
:I did that the other day with Eminem A** like that stuck in my head, rode great!

Last edited:
[video=youtube;NldPFVKYmiw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NldPFVKYmiw[/video]

So it pairs with your phone and you can answer a call, but there is nothing on the web site about a mike to pick up your voice. Also nothing about pairing with similar devices for rider to rider or group communication. Looks like a bit of a one hit wonder. Pass.

So it pairs with your phone and you can answer a call, but there is nothing on the web site about a mike to pick up your voice. Also nothing about pairing with similar devices for rider to rider or group communication. Looks like a bit of a one hit wonder. Pass.

The do offer a new model that has comms.

*See the DomioPro has a mic.
I've been very speculative of quality for this. Wanted to test it somewhere before trying it. It was on Kickstarter for a while.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

I have a little gizmo I bought a few of at the Sportsmen's Show one year - "BoomBox". That's the only ID on it. About $25 for 2. It's a self contained case ~ 3" x 3" x 1" consisting of an 1/8" plug/cord to run into a headphone/laptop output, another cord with a 0.75" transducer to stick on a resonating surface, and it runs on 2 - AAA batteries. I bought it with a view to meeting room presentations where I don't want to bring along speakers and more cords to string out for the sake of 15 minutes. It will play from an empty plastic trash can or recycling bin. I've tried a hollow wooden door too. They all work to varying degrees, ie. better than nothing and it can be surprisingly loud, depending on the surface's shape, size and placement.

It's mono and nowhere as clear as separate speakers in a helmet. I never thought of sticking it on my helmet. I'm still running first edition Sena SMH-10's that came out long before this BoomBox.

Back
Top Bottom