Ontario private member's bills aim to end auto insurance 'postal code discrimination' | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario private member's bills aim to end auto insurance 'postal code discrimination'

Err......of course it’s discrimination and I’m not sure I mind. I live in a place with very few bike thefts and less accidents and less poor drivers than the GTA, for that I expect my insurance premiums to be less and they are. I’m going to have a huge issue if I end up paying for SS owners who keep buying brand new theft-magnet bikes and parking them in the same condos their last new SS bike was stolen from. People are deluded if they think this will lower premiums across the board. They should focus on why insurance premiums are expensive in those postal code areas and sort that out.

Why should people who get into more accidents have to pay more, that's discrimination.

The red zone of 'risk' drivers has expanded to include my postal code , so yeah, anything is better. Sorry guys.

Instead of high rates in Brampton . We will have higher rates all over GTA . Easy way for insurgence companies to make more money .

Instead of high rates in Brampton . We will have higher rates all over GTA . Easy way for insurgence companies to make more money .

Yup! I was thinking the same thing.

Sent from the moon!

posturing
one of the bills is from a conservative
if the government were behind this
it would not be a private members bill
not likely to go anywhere
but plays well in Brampton

This is just pure politics from Brampton politicians. Let's hope it goes nowhere.

As to fake accidents, inflated repair costs, excessive physio and other non provable "soft tissue" treatments government and the insurance industry have a wealth of info and statistics on people and organizations that churn claims and virtually nothing is being done to address this. Why not have a group of fraud enforcement people looking at the churners, validate the legitimacy of claims and shut down organizations that are ripping the system off.

Cause why bother when you can sneak in insurance "reform" that limits your overall risk and payouts for all injury claims

This is just pure politics from Brampton politicians. Let's hope it goes nowhere.

As to fake accidents, inflated repair costs, excessive physio and other non provable "soft tissue" treatments government and the insurance industry have a wealth of info and statistics on people and organizations that churn claims and virtually nothing is being done to address this. Why not have a group of fraud enforcement people looking at the churners, validate the legitimacy of claims and shut down organizations that are ripping the system off.

Probably someone is making money from this somehow. Rate payers get stuck with the bill and have no choice to pay it.

I knew a PI who worked with insurance companies,and yes they all know about the scams. The biggest problem was most of the scams were generated by minorities taking advantage of the system. The companies and gov don't want to single them out and be seen as racists, even if it was true. So much for diversity eh?

I'm with you. It seems so simple. Get convicted of insurance fraud and never be eligible for insurance in Ontario again (nor eligible to collect for any soft tissue injury (nor any other injury not supported by a scan) even as a passenger). Driving is a privilege, not a right. You've lost it. Feel free to move your thieving *** somewhere else if you would like to continue to be a prick.

Listening to the political BS around this is astounding. I wonder if a politician has ever thought before talking. One was saying this would lower the rates for everybody. WTF. This should lower rates for some and increase rates for many more. I can't imagine the insurance companies wouldn't use this as an easy time to increase revenue.

This is exactly what will happen. One thing insurance companies have is stats. And they will show the claim costs by postal code for both where the insured lives as well as the incident occurs.

And guess what? The higher claims averages will be in highly populated areas. Take out the fraud element and just go with pure claims.

Folks look at this as a target on people. But, it’s not only people. It’s the roads too. I would prefer municipalities identify poorly designed/high risk intersections and roadways and improve those areas. They can even lobby the insurance industry to assist with the cost of construction. Reduced accidents, reduced claims, improved roads and intersections and it’s a win for everyone.

At least when it comes to collisions. Theft on the other hand.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's there a poll or something every year for worse intersection? I am pretty sure they city etc knows what are troubled area's.

I had a doctor try to "Pay" me with receipts for physio that I could give to my insurer. It's that blatant for some.

I had a doctor try to "Pay" me with receipts for physio that I could give to my insurer. It's that blatant for some.

Hard to know for sure but there are many many thousands of people involved in the scam process across the province.

When my daughter was in a car accident the emergency doctor who treated her said she would need physio for a hand injury. Then he pulled out a business card, gave it to us and say this company is great. We mentioned we already used a physio clinic close to home and he just shrugged. Next day we received a call at home from the company he recommending asking if we wanted to set up an appointment and we declined. This means that an ER doctor actually contacted a private physio company and passed on our personal contact information. Obviously he is not doing this for nothing, he either had a financial interest in the company or is being paid some kind of referral fee.

The above example may or may not be have been the start of a financial scam of the system, but it underscores the unethical behavior of people in the system when a doctor receives payoffs to make a referral to a private clinic.

Hard to know for sure but there are many many thousands of people involved in the scam process across the province.

When my daughter was in a car accident the emergency doctor who treated her said she would need physio for a hand injury. Then he pulled out a business card, gave it to us and say this company is great. We mentioned we already used a physio clinic close to home and he just shrugged. Next day we received a call at home from the company he recommending asking if we wanted to set up an appointment and we declined. This means that an ER doctor actually contacted a private physio company and passed on our personal contact information. Obviously he is not doing this for nothing, he either had a financial interest in the company or is being paid some kind of referral fee.

The above example may or may not be have been the start of a financial scam of the system, but it underscores the unethical behavior of people in the system when a doctor receives payoffs to make a referral to a private clinic.

Ooooooo, can you say breach of patient confidentiality!

The whole industry needs to be reformed. If you took out the requirements for mandatory benefits, there would be fewer deadbeats and greasy lawyers able to abuse the system the system.

Back
Top Bottom