Clutch Adjustment | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Clutch Adjustment

So, what I'm taking from this, is that it's only partly that I'm really hard on clutches; partly that the place I bought the bike, and the shop I had the clutch replaced, didn't install the clutch correctly; and partly the design.

If anyone else feels their clutch slipping, then take a look - it's much less expensive than a rebuild kit and install.

Cycle expressed the same concern in 1976 about my 360VA but I never had a lick of problem with the clutch, only the shifter forks, they were soft and had to be straightened on occasion, the coil spring on the shifter return fractured once and I completely shattered a rear hub.
https://goo.gl/images/2C8MXp

So, what I'm taking from this, is that it's only partly that I'm really hard on clutches; partly that the place I bought the bike, and the shop I had the clutch replaced, didn't install the clutch correctly; and partly the design.

If anyone else feels their clutch slipping, then take a look - it's much less expensive than a rebuild kit and install.

The manufacturer would probably call it a required maintenance item, reality is; nylon against steel parts are a bit of a disposable way to do things but it works good if you grease er up real good and keep it that way. It takes a Lot to wear one out completely if that is any consolation but if you are inclined to have spare parts on hand for after they become unavailable, this should be one of those parts.

Is almost too easy to install, how much would one charge for something like that?
... did you keep the old clutch?

Last edited:
The manufacturer would probably call it a required maintenance item
It's a regular maintenance item.
DL650%20Clutch%20Adjustment.png

They failed to tell you to take it apart and grease it up :/ you want to make it work good, you gotta do that once in a while. Their instructions without the cleaning and lubrication step are a good way to wear it out.
See where it is, exposed to the elements? mine was even enclosed.

Last edited:
I agree.
I find that it can use the grease about 2x a year, or about every 15k for me.
I wore out 2 clutches in around 90k, until I started checking on it myself and now this one is at 60k and still running great.

I was actually taking it back to the dealership where I bought it for service regularly, just before the first time it went.
I ordered, and paid for, a service manual, got called, went to pick it up, and it had mysteriously disappeared; shortly thereafter, they went belly up.
The good news, is that the bike wasn't in for servicing, when they went bankrupt; some people had a hard time getting their bikes back afterwards.
A couple of months later, the clutch let me know it was done, on the Don Valley Parkway during rush hour.

So in it went to a shop nearby my Toronto home, that had to wait on parts due to the Tsunami in Japan, along with a steering damper, and some other farkles. The parts eventually came in.
I had moved 500 kilometres away, and needed to train back to Toronto, and ride the bike back to the new house.
I asked when the bike would be done, and was told Wednesday. I said, o.k., I'll be down Thursday to pick it up.
I trained down on the Thursday afternoon, and one of the mechanics is still working on the bike. After he says he's done, I hop on and get about 50 feet - the bike won't shift.
He adjusts some stuff at the lever, and the bike seems to be able to be ridden. About a week afterwards, I do an Experienced Rider course that involves much slow speed maneuvering and the clutch starts slipping badly again.

Like I said, it's partly on me, but these were supposed to be experienced mechanics that were working on my bike.
That's why I like to do more on my own now. I can take my time and make sure it works.

The third clutch has lasted a few years now before I noticed the slipping and fixed it. I will ask for a paper shop manual for Christmas (I have an online version).

Previously, I owned Kawasakis and Hondas. While they both had their own quirks, it was nothing like this.

I've never worn out the clutch in anything yet :I must not be trying hard enough.

People who own bike shops seem to be a nefarious bunch, always ask for your old parts, never pay for any replacement parts where they curiously can not locate the worn out bits, if they insist on keeping them insist on a parts exchange credit.

.... After he says he's done, I hop on and get about 50 feet - the bike won't shift.
He adjusts some stuff at the lever, and the bike seems to be able to be ridden. About a week afterwards, I do an Experienced Rider course that involves much slow speed maneuvering and the clutch starts slipping badly again.
When you say the clutch slips, do you mean when you pull in the lever it drags and wants to drive you forward, or do you mean when the lever is all the way out the plates won't transfer the power to the rear wheel and you just sit there? First scenario is not a worn out clutch the second one possibly is, unless your friction plates have fallen to pieces and the material is folding or jamming up between the plates.

When you say the clutch slips, do you mean when you pull in the lever it drags and wants to drive you forward, or do you mean when the lever is all the way out the plates won't transfer the power to the rear wheel and you just sit there? First scenario is not a worn out clutch the second one possibly is, unless your friction plates have fallen to pieces and the material is folding or jamming up between the plates.
The first scenario would be the clutch not disengaging rather than the clutch slipping, wouldn't it?

Time for me to ask - does this bike have an aftermarket 'shorty' clutch lever ?
I've seen more problems with clutch engagement (dragging and slipping) with those P.O.S. than I can shake a stick at.

^^ shake your stick at my bike then!
Just removed that shorty which had major deterioration and put back on my OEM.

Time for me to ask - does this bike have an aftermarket 'shorty' clutch lever ?
I've seen more problems with clutch engagement (dragging and slipping) with those P.O.S. than I can shake a stick at.

No, I have large "manly" hands.

Back
Top Bottom