M2 exit to full M without 400 hwys? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

M2 exit to full M without 400 hwys?

Yes there is. It's called the M2. You just have to retake it every five years or less.

When I did my road test in Toronto many years ago, it was on the DVP not the 401. My bike test was on the upper 427.

You go one exit and one lane change, and then do the same on the way back. After that you never have to take the 400 again.

What do you intend to do should you accidentally find yourself on a highway onramp one day, make a U turn?

I have both passed semis and been passed by them. I can do it if I have to I just prefer not to. I guess I just don't feel the need for speed. I mean people who live in Sault St. Marie don't have to take 400 highways. If someone from there moved here from there I'm pretty sure MTO wouldn't say OK you live here now, we're moving you back to M2 b/c you have to do the 400 portion since you're now a GTHA resident.
People from Sault St Marie have their own set of challenges...add moose, bears and rough roads to their driving hazards. If you have a genuine fear of the highway, I would rather hear that you overcame it rather than running from it. One thing that scares me is a slow bike on the highway...when you have speed you can get where you want to fast and stay clear of traffic. Grab your own piece of real estate and as soon as someone catches up to you, you jet. Is that your bike in your signature a 750 cruiser? Can I ask if you are a female? One remedy for your phobia is to put you on the back of a liter bike and have you see how safe the highways can be when ridden properly.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Find a riding partner with considerable experience, ride in formation with them for a while, it's far less intimidating riding with a partner who can set a suitable pace in traffic

An option to look into is taking up residence in Alberta and trading in your ontario license for an Alberta one. I think you need at least 2 years motorcycle experience. Than trade it back to Ontario license.

m2 exit test is not matter of experience. It's the ability to ride yur bike on any roads or hwys.
it's ok not to ride on 400s but you should be easily able to.

Go up to Aurora & do the exist test on 404. should be straight forward.

400 series highway speeds are a lot easier on some bikes then others, possibly you need to be doing it on a different ride, this is where it really rots that you can't just go out and rent a BMW or something that barely feels like you are moving at 110kph.

For that same reason I agree there 'has' to be some sort of an alternative for riders on lesser motorcycles to get an M license.

One remedy for your phobia is to put you on the back of a liter bike and have you see how safe the highways can be when ridden properly.
750 is plenty of motorcycle for 2-up, no reason not to use her own bike.
... if it's a 250 virago, I totally understand the reservation about riding 400 series highways.

Last edited:
best guess I can make of the avatar is a small Suzuki possibly 400cc with very tall handlebars, bags and a sissy bar :I think I see the problem. Bikes not wind slippery enough.

Kitchener m test doesn't do 400's. Short jaunt on expressway is all. 1 exit..

If you're intent on using DriveTest, when they ask if you have highway experience, just say yes. BTW, when it comes to any HTA law or MTO rule regarding 400 series highways, QEW is lumped in with them, and to an extent so are parkways like Linc and Redhill. They just want to know that you have had practice above 80km/h. Road testing across the province is done on whatever 100kmh highway is nearest to them. Hamilton DriveTest is located not only within a 2 minute hop from the QEW, but also far enough away from a 400 series, that nobody will ever be taken there. The entire trip is probably a total of less than 15km. They don't have time to take you to the 403. They also won't take you over the skyway.

best guess I can make of the avatar is a small Suzuki possibly 400cc with very tall handlebars, bags and a sissy bar :I think I see the problem. Bikes not wind slippery enough.
The OP already stated that they ride a 750.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

The 400 series is part of the test because you need to be able to prove you have the required skills to be a competent rider. It's all fine and dandy that you've managed to avoid riding on the big roads up until now for whatever reason, but that doesn't excuse you from needing to prove competency for such regardless as some day you may find yourself with no option except to ride on it.

Come out to Oshawa - the test takes you on the highway, you change lanes to the middle, back to the right again, and take the next exit. Up over highway, back on again, repeat the lane change, and exit again at the next exit. Total time on the 401 is about 4 minutes.

Sorry, but I agree with a few others...if 4 minutes on the 401 for the purpose of proving competency is an issue for you, it's time to hang up the helmet.

Kitchener m test doesn't do 400's. Short jaunt on expressway is all. 1 exit..

If you take the Conestoga College M2X course they'll take you from Homer Watson to King St, back on the 401 to Homer Watson again. It a couple of minutes per way, max.

The Drive Test guys probably just hop on the expressway from Ottawa to Bridgeport or something.

I'm like you, *hate* riding the 400 series. I can do it if I have to, but I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have, and one of those was a wrong turn. Did my M2 exit at the beginning of this year in downtown Toronto, and my highway part of the test was the DVP northbound, which was naturally a parking lot. Worked perfectly for me ... get on, change lane, get off at first exit. Maybe that would work for you? Looks like some others have found some closer options for you as well. Whatever you decide, good luck and safe riding!

I'm thinking you, OP are in the west end, but....
Co-worker just did his M in Lindsay. Nothing else available in Pickering.
Hwy #7 & #35 no 400. Was close to his cottage so he took Monday off work and was fine.
He has no issue with 400's just no openings for M.

Maybe west end.. Orangeville??

you can just re-do your m2 and reset the 5 years. but you might as well just do the m.

i'm not a speed demon either. i rode a single cylinder 250cc bike with 16hp happily for a few years and now i'm on a 400cc bike so i can ride highways a little better, but i'll definitely take country roads over highway any day.

Last edited:
With the MTO M2X or private course (RTI, Learning Curves, etc.) is there ever an occasion that one would need to go faster than 100km/h?

I wonder if I can pull of doing the test with a 125cc (e.g., Grom). I can easily do 100km/h sitting upright on my Z125, and getting up to that speed isn't much slower than an average driver. (I weigh 63kg, so that helps.) My bike hits the rev limiter at 106 in a full tuck.

I see that RTI offers a "100cc to 250cc version" separate from the ML "50cc or LSM", so that might be an option.

Man look - if you want to ride in the city but no 400's hwys, get a scooter like a nice Vespa...and a licence to suit.
IMHO - we dont need more scared drivers/riders out there causing problems for others

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Holy crap people in order to hold an unrestricted license requires you prove that you can operate a vehicle on all of the roadways in our province and that includes 400 series highways. Whether or not you plan on using them there may and probably will be a time where you may need to use one.

Just because you choose not to use them is irrelevant.

No you can't have a licence that says you won't use them so don't test me on it. How would that be enforced?? Do we get special plates for vehicles that say I am afraid of going 100kph and if I am on the 400 series highway pull me over and ticket me??

If you are afraid of or can't handle a 100 kph highway you are probably not the best driver on an 80 kph highway also and your road skills should be in question and I would suggest you should not have a licence to drive period, in my honest opinion.

You hear of so many individuals that are terrified of driving on a highway. In the grand scheme of things a highway is far safer than all other roadways. There are no intersections, there is no oncoming traffic from the other direction, no vehicles turning in front of you.

The good is all traffic travelling the same direction. If you are okay on an 80kph highway what is the big deal doing 20kph more. Stay in the right lane and leave enough space for merging traffic to get in or out it is that simple.

Back
Top Bottom