M2 exit to full M without 400 hwys? | GTAMotorcycle.com

M2 exit to full M without 400 hwys?

MyUserName

I am M2 and want to get my full M. I am unable to do that without 400 experience. I do not drive on the 400s. Not because I'm not allowed to by because I choose not to do so by personal choose. I just avoid 400's at all costs. I pretty much just use my bike for booting around the city and if I have to go to Toronto I take the Go bus or train. I have QEW experience between here and Niagara Falls but I don't go to Niagara anymore and haven't been back there for 2 years now. I do not want my M2 to to expire and have to start all over again with M1 and a nighttime restriction.

So my questions are:
1-Has anyone ever heard of Full M license with a 400 restriction?
2-Has anyone ever managed to somehow keep their M2 longer than the 5 year maximum?
3-Where is the nearest drive test center to Hamilton that is far enough from ALL 400s where driving on 400s will not be part of the full M test? There has to be something closer than Kenora, Ontario.
4-Do you think Caledonia https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Ca...dca00405cb2d0c!8m2!3d43.0647528!4d-79.9550748 is far enough from the 400's where they won't ask me to go on a 400 to get a full M?

Last edited:
Da faq?
The test out of kenora leads to an on ramp highway entrance at Centennial. You get off at Fruitland rd. Turn around and head back on the QEW.
How can that be an issue, after 4.9 yrs of riding?

I *think* RTI conducts specific M2 exit courses on highways limited to 80km/hr, but need a smaller bike 100-250cc. Best to call and ask.

From their website:
https://ridertraining.ca/project/riding_strategies/

Who is it for?

For M2 class riders who wish to obtain an M licence and a potential insurance discount.
“100cc-250cc” version is also available for M2 class riders who own a motorcycle/scooter between 100cc and 250cc that cannot reach highway speeds in excess of 80km/hr.

Da faq?
The test out of kenora leads to an on ramp highway entrance at Centennial. You get off at Fruitland rd. Turn around and head back on the QEW.
How can that be an issue, after 4.9 yrs of riding?

I meant Kenora, Ontario on the far west side of the province. As in a city thats closer than Kenora, Ontario. I didn't take into consideration theres Kenora St in Hamilton(Stoney Creek). I'm gonna edit the original post now.

Belleville Drive Test takes you on the 401 for one exit
maybe 3 km, merge on, one instructed lane change, merge off
anyone that can't do that should park the bike
hell of a lot closer than Kenora

Last edited:
I *think* RTI conducts specific M2 exit courses on highways limited to 80km/hr, but need a smaller bike 100-250cc. Best to call and ask.

From their website:
https://ridertraining.ca/project/riding_strategies/

Who is it for?

For M2 class riders who wish to obtain an M licence and a potential insurance discount.
“100cc-250cc” version is also available for M2 class riders who own a motorcycle/scooter between 100cc and 250cc that cannot reach highway speeds in excess of 80km/hr.

I got a 750cc so I'm good for hwy speeds. I have no problems driving 100 and the bikes been tested up to 140. I just <strike>don't like</strike> HATE going on 400's and avoid them. I'll go on any hwy except 400's. Gonna call them tmrw and ask if I can do the non 400 on my 750. I see they have a location in Orilla, ON. Theres no 400's in Orilla. I wonder if Guelph would keep me in city limits or bring me out to the 401 via 46........

Belleville Drive Test takes you on the 401 for one exit
maybe 3 km, merge on, one instructed lane change, merge off
anyone that can't do that should park the bike
hell of a lot closer than Kenora

Kenora was just a joke/bit of sarcasm. I wouldn't go to Kenora for a roadtest. It was just an example of a far away place that I could say is there any place closer to Hamilton than __________.

Lindsay or Peterborough both don't go on a 400 series highway. I guess you'd have to trailer your bike there, which is 100x more of a hassle than riding on the 401 for 6 minutes.

You're almost talking about a LM license but on a 750cc bike. Don't think anyone would let you do that.

1. I don't believe that you require previous 400 series experience to complete the M2 exit.
2. 403 in the GTHA is much slower than QEW stretch from here to Niagara, so don't sweat it, you've already seen worse than what a quick jump to Mississauga would look like.
3. Drive test Hamilton never takes people to a 400 series highway, it's too far out of the way and would make for ridiculously long tests.
4. How long do you think these test go for? They're not taking you on an epic road trip, it's revolving door. Thay want you returned and gone home in less time than you waited in the lobby.
5. Don't go to DriveTest, take an exit course, it's worth it. BTW, I tend to call Learning Curves the GTP(pay, show up, receive license) course because I've seen people pass who were timid af and should have washed out.

Last edited:
My m2 expires in a couple months and I tried booking on drivetest, but no availability and end of season meant I had to choose a school. I chose RTI. Instructor said in class that the “course ends for you here if you haven’t ridden on a 400 series.” But you really didn’t need it. Follow the leader and leap frog is all you need.

It was a good class and Marlon was a good instructor. Helped get rid of a few bad habits I picked up over the last 5 years. My neck is a little stiff from all the shoulder checks ;), but the course was helpful. Group riding alone was worth it.

Oakville. Third line to Dorval and back.

Last edited:
Lindsay, Minden, Haliburton...but really, you are only cheating yourself. There will be that one time when you get your license when you decide to say F it, the 401 or 407 is faster, and you will not know what it feels like to watch the tires of an 18 wheeler spinning two feet from your at 140 KPH. The road tests are there for a reason...to see if you can handle any and all scenarios thrown at you. Else, you should be on an electric scooter driving on the shoulder...which oddly, I find more dangerous than driving a motorcycle on the highway.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

So what's the problem with a 400-series highway?

I know you "hate" them but why?

Lindsay, Minden, Haliburton...but really, you are only cheating yourself. There will be that one time when you get your license when you decide to say F it, the 401 or 407 is faster, and you will not know what it feels like to watch the tires of an 18 wheeler spinning two feet from your at 140 KPH. The road tests are there for a reason...to see if you can handle any and all scenarios thrown at you. Else, you should be on an electric scooter driving on the shoulder...which oddly, I find more dangerous than driving a motorcycle on the highway.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I have both passed semis and been passed by them. I can do it if I have to I just prefer not to. I guess I just don't feel the need for speed. I mean people who live in Sault St. Marie don't have to take 400 highways. If someone from there moved here from there I'm pretty sure MTO wouldn't say OK you live here now, we're moving you back to M2 b/c you have to do the 400 portion since you're now a GTHA resident.

So what's the problem with a 400-series highway?

I know you "hate" them but why?

I guess I just don't like doing 100 and having cars flying past me at 120-140. And the solution is not for me to go faster or pick up the pace. I can go that fast if I NEED to but if I don't have to I wont. I like bikes but I guess I'm just not a speed demon. I'm perfectly happy on service roads along the 400s if/when I leave the city but anything too far I just take the Go bus. I just don't want to lose my nighttime driving abilty when my M2 expires.

Also if theres and accident ahead on 400s you could be sitting there for hours. I don't want to be sucking on some cagers muffler for 3 hours.. I would split/filter up to the the front of the line but just my luck it would be ME as the one to get a ticket for that or some lane hog cager would open their door on me. (You would need to hang out with me for a day to understand the type of constant bad luck I have). Just best I avoid 400s if I can. Normal highways no problem - 400s no thanks.

IMHO...riding on the highway is safer than regular roads with intersections. I know someone that also doesn't like to drive on the highway. Scared of it.

I guess I just don't like doing 100 and having cars flying past me at 120-140. And the solution is not for me to go faster or pick up the pace. I can go that fast if I NEED to but if I don't have to I wont. I like bikes but I guess I'm just not a speed demon. I'm perfectly happy on service roads along the 400s if/when I leave the city but anything too far I just take the Go bus. I just don't want to lose my nighttime driving abilty when my M2 expires.

Isn't this one of those "NEED to" situations?

"...if theres and accident ahead on 400s you could be sitting there for hours. I don't want to be sucking on some cagers muffler for 3 hours.. I would split/filter up to the the front of the line but just my luck it would be ME as the one to get a ticket for that or some lane hog cager would open their door on me. (You would need to hang out with me for a day to understand the type of constant bad luck I have). Just best I avoid 400s if I can. Normal highways no problem - 400s no thanks."

You describe the (fairly common) scenario of sitting in traffic on a 400 series highway, "due to an accident up ahead" --which could easily occur just about anywhere-- and this would compel you to lane split? I don't get it.
Stop creating excuses in your mind. Bite the bullet and reconcile that you need to be able to handle a motorcycle at highway speeds if you want your M.

Also if theres and accident ahead on 400s you could be sitting there for hours. I don't want to be sucking on some cagers muffler for 3 hours.. I would split/filter up to the the front of the line but just my luck it would be ME as the one to get a ticket for that or some lane hog cager would open their door on me. (You would need to hang out with me for a day to understand the type of constant bad luck I have). Just best I avoid 400s if I can. Normal highways no problem - 400s no thanks.

Can you do it at least once? Like suck it up and do the test?

If it's any consolation; QEW is a way more dangerous road and every bit as challenging as any part of the 401.

Back
Top Bottom