Quick Question Regarding License Duration/Insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quick Question Regarding License Duration/Insurance

RacerX

In order for the time to count towards a better insurance rate in terms of how long you have had the license do you have to have owned and insured a bike?
I.E. if I had an M2 for roughly a year but never insured a bike for that duration does that cancel out the fact that I have been M2 licensed for a year and will get a rate similar to that right after being licensed, or will this year count towards a better rate?

If you dont have insurance history then they will consider you a 'new' rider.

Your DL rating will go up though which also counts.

In order for the time to count towards a better insurance rate in terms of how long you have had the license do you have to have owned and insured a bike?
I.E. if I had an M2 for roughly a year but never insured a bike for that duration does that cancel out the fact that I have been M2 licensed for a year and will get a rate similar to that right after being licensed, or will this year count towards a better rate?
I imagine better rates come after years of riding,not just a couple ?

It is my understanding that you will have the best rates they will offer after 7 years of contiguous insurance coverage with no claims or tickets, then some companies that only underwrite low risk riders will start to accept you for coverage IF you go shopping for it. Catch 22 is that insurance companies are guaranteed a healthy profit margin or they can raise their rates for all customers, so you are paying towards lower rates that may or may never happen. Then there is the inflation factor which has roughly doubled my premiums on a motorcycle that I have insured contiguously since 1986.

Back
Top Bottom