The Saudi Thread | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Saudi Thread

killed by rogue members of various security forces that report to the crown prince
during a fight after an interrogation went wrong

same agencies that killed him to self-investigate
report in 30 days to cover it up

steaming pile of excrement supported by US executive branch
back to business as usual

killed by rogue members of various security forces that report to the crown prince
during a fight after an interrogation went wrong

same agencies that killed him to self-investigate
report in 30 days to cover it up

steaming pile of excrement supported by US executive branch
back to business as usual

Not quite business as usual. Lots of boycotts from usual allies starting up. Mostly European sadly.

Why worry about SA developing nukes? They're going to be aimed the other direction at Iran anyway. Too much Saudi financial interest in the US for us in NA to worry about SA having nuclear weapons.

The only thing we have to worry about is giving Saudi nationals control of commercial airliners, not nukes...

Why worry about SA developing nukes? They're going to be aimed the other direction at Iran anyway. Too much Saudi financial interest in the US for us in NA to worry about SA having nuclear weapons.

The only thing we have to worry about is giving Saudi nationals control of commercial airliners, not nukes...

I'm not a rocket scientist,but does it matter in this age where nukes would be aimed?

Totally understand what you are saying.I just shudder at the thought of nuclear fallout with modern (not 1945 nukes) warheads.The global forecast would be very grim.Scarey stuff.

maybe I'm just a useless Liberal
but I care as much for brown people getting nuked
as much as I care about fat, white westerners

point is
they cannot be trusted with WMA's
no one in that region can be
and I include Israel

and not directing this at anyone here
but the mention of KSA as an ally
reveals a naiveté that is problematic

and not directing this at anyone here
but the mention of KSA as an ally
reveals a naiveté that is problematic

It's not naivete. The reality is that these lines were drawn a long time ago.
Would they slit our throats if the financial interests weren't there?
Of course.
But the US and SA are two dirty players locked in a game of "Let's not do harm to each other here".

sure

but the ally tag is not applicable
never has been

ally indicates more than economic/military ties

American politics can be "interesting"
What on earth was the director of the CIA was thinking when he outed their wiretapping of the Saudi royal family
One heck of a screw you trump moment IMHO.

I disagree. I think sociopolitical allies are just that - nothing more than mutual economic/military/territorial goals. Not to be flippant, but thinking otherwise is naive.

History is filled with allies turned enemies in the blink of an eye. Russia was an ally until after the second world war. Just like Japan turned into an ally after that same war. Just like the US is quickly turning into an enemy with the results of a single election. Because of economic interests.

so the term hangs onto a naive, 20th century definition
I'll go along with that
we need another term to define azzholes that have a short term use

sooner we move on from petroleum as the primary energy source
sooner we can stop playing footsie with azzholes

I disagree. I think sociopolitical allies are just that - nothing more than mutual economic/military/territorial goals. Not to be flippant, but thinking otherwise is naive.

History is filled with allies turned enemies in the blink of an eye. Russia was an ally until after the second world war. Just like Japan turned into an ally after that same war. Just like the US is quickly turning into an enemy with the results of a single election. Because of economic interests.

Everyone the US has been to "war" with in recent years... was an ex-ally, someone they originally put into power and supported... Saddam, Gaddafi, Castro, Bin Laden, etc...

it been like watching a formula movie plot,

SA King , shut that guy up
SA (not so) secret service, you bet boss
SA King, I know nothing about this
US Pres, maybe it was a splinter cell
SA King, yeah thats it .. splinter cell
Rest of the world, not buying it...
US Pres, King said not his fault so no issue
Rest of the world, the secret service showed up with a saw.duct tape.forensic guy and a bunch of suitcases. that seems odd
CIA, well the wire tape we run (in secret) has the King saying shut the guy up!

and when the music stops everybody scrambles for a chair.......

There are so many brutal dictatorships in the world. Why worry about Saudi Arabia? We would be best not to meddle with other countries and do what's best for Canada. The story of the journalist is sad, but he should have known the game he was playing was dangerous. Don't play the game unless you're prepared to pay the price.
I liken western involvement in the middle east to the Christian Crusades. Had they not bothered then, the Muslim world may have remained stable in their ways. Back then it was about protecting and expanding Christian ideals -- all it did was stir up a hornets nest that included battle hardening and factioning the Muslims.

A thousand years later they are more or less stable under their factioned regimes. Brutal? Sure -- but that's how they kept order since the beginning. Mess with our trade routes? Sure, but since we both had interest everything works out. Again we go there, poke around to protect our interest and impose western ideals -- again things break and we end up with a hardened, more factioned disorder.

I say pull out, let them sort out their own business.

Think about it for a second... are you up to having middle eastern views and laws imposed on you here in Canada? What makes you think they are interested in our interpretation of morality and law in their states?

Perhaps I'm naive but it might be more skepticism than anything as we are talking world leaders here and I truly believe that we are putting more thought into this than the principals involved in it did When it happened.
The kind of antics one would expect from primary school age children IMHO

Think about it for a second... are you up to having middle eastern views and laws imposed on you here in Canada? What makes you think they are interested in our interpretation of morality and law in their states?

How far away do people have to live before we care/don't care about their fate?

I liken western involvement in the middle east to the Christian Crusades. Had they not bothered then, the Muslim world may have remained stable in their ways. Back then it was about protecting and expanding Christian ideals -- all it did was stir up a hornets nest that included battle hardening and factioning the Muslims.

They invaded Europe first. Greece, Italy and Spain all fell. Christians were ordered to convert or be beheaded. Read up on Charles Martel, who united the European tribes in a crusade against the invaders. He drove them from Europe and killed any who didn't become Christian. But just the fact that they are going back that far in their revengist ideology shows the lack of their civilized development and the bent on religious imperialism. It was the failure of the Crusades to go further that kept them the way they are.

A thousand years later they are more or less stable under their factioned regimes. Brutal? Sure -- but that's how they kept order since the beginning. Mess with our trade routes? Sure, but since we both had interest everything works out. Again we go there, poke around to protect our interest and impose western ideals -- again things break and we end up with a hardened, more factioned disorder.

It was the age of empires (British, French, Ottoman) that caused the current regimes supported by their exploiters. But let's avoid digressing and say that it is what it is and it's up to them to straighten things out. Unfortunately there's a battle for world dominance going on between the Americans, Russians and other players.

I say pull out, let them sort out their own business.

I say the same with one exception: I don't want them coming here with their violent religious factions when things get bloody. They don't appreciate our help. They hate us for being Christian and pacifist and proving our way is better. They belong where they are sorting things out. Too bad the Russians kept Assad in power. It ruined everything. Empire interference again.

Back
Top Bottom