V rod or M 109 | GTAMotorcycle.com

V rod or M 109

Moff

Both power cruisers, but I think the V rod styling is more appealing. The M 109 is more powerful. Do the rear tires affect its performance, or is that just an adjustment you make on a cruiser like these? Must be nice to have that power when you need it.

Save the Harley Tax (on purchase, insurance, and parts) and buy the M109. I have a friend who owns one and he always seems to have a ****-eating grin on his face, so he's enjoying it.

V Max

Get insurance quotes before buying anything, however.. as a reasonably new rider you're going to find a massive difference in insurance costs between any of these and your Ninja 300. Especially the Harley.

does resale value matter to you OP?

figure that huge rear tire would make for some funky handling
but be nice for putting down HP

Take em for a ride and decide for yourself. I’m 5’8” and found the V-Rod fit me perfectly. Felt relatively nimble for what it is. Engine was stock and very tame in it’s power delivery. It’s got a very low profile and looks slick IMO. Some HD owners look down their nose at it in the same way anti-HD folks do. Which was kind of handy when looking at the used market as it kept pricing reasonable. But that is changing a bit as when HD discontinues any given bike, they somehow become these amazing bikes that HD has stopped making and increases their desirability.

Can’t comment on the Suzuki but, do like the look of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of my mates has a 109r, I have a 14 Night Rod Special. We switch bikes now and then when riding.

VROD:

Smaller chassis, lower seat height
Weighs about 100lbs less
Lighter steering and turning, lower COG as fuel tank located under rider
Better brakes (Brembo ABS)
Less engine vibration
Pulls hard to 9500 rpm
Attention magnet wherever you go

M109r:
Better ergonomics for tall people
Torque monster, just twist throttle and go. VROD doesn't start making serious power until 5K but will pull away from M109r
Less expensive to purchase and insure
Stable as hell on freeway, feels more planted
Also attention magnet, my mate's is yellow.

As for insurance you'll pay more for VROD because it's worth more. I'm 1k annually with full coverage incl. theft and fire, 1K deductible. With Riders Plus last 10 years.

I can outrun and outhandle my mate on his 109r. We're both seasoned riders for and do advanced rider courses together. He couldn't catch me at TMP, the VROD just corners and brakes so much better.

nimble :laughing1:
and a Mack dump truck handles pretty nice, for a dump truck.

I owned an M109R for about 5 years. It was a great bike, tons of torque and rode pretty good. My buddy had a Vrod and I rode that quite a few times. I liked the way the Vrod rode as it felt more nimble than the M109 but at the end of the day I still liked my 9 better. Power wise they were pretty close when we would hit it together although the brakes on the Vrod were much better. The M109 is not a slouch in the corners but it needs a little persuasion to turn in because of the rear tire although lean angle is not that great and you will drag the pedal feelers. Attention wise the M109 wins hands down, this bike hasn't been updated since about 2006 but still grabs tons of attention.

Get insurance quotes before buying anything, however.. as a reasonably new rider you're going to find a massive difference in insurance costs between any of these and your Ninja 300. Especially the Harley.

Be weary of bad advice like this.
The V-Rod comes in two sizes, 1130cc and 1250cc depending on what year you get.
In my experience, both cost less to insure than the 1,783cc M109R.
People like to assume things... Do your own fact checking.

PS: Personally I left Suzuki (had an M50) in favor of a first gen V-Rod Night Rod. 1130cc, very little difference in insurance over the M50, has a 180 tire so it handles much better than the 240 tires. It also has mid controls rather fiesta so you can almost posture yourself as if on a street bike. Good machine.

I`m biased in this regard . But the 1250 engine is one of the best out there . Go with 08 or newer . The suspension needs to be replaced on all of them . Once I did the suspension it was like a completely different bike . Go to 1130cc to get information on this machine . I have 60K on mine and I still love this machine .

Be weary of bad advice like this.
The V-Rod comes in two sizes, 1130cc and 1250cc depending on what year you get.
In my experience, both cost less to insure than the 1,783cc M109R.
People like to assume things... Do your own fact checking.

PP advice is directed towards the OP with previous posts that indicated limited experience and more likely a factor for either bike.

For a mature rider with a few years of continuous insurance coverage, the annual premiums for either ride would be relatively similar and most likely the hobby budget to support the cost of ownership etc.

A noob riding a 300 that has been recently querying about small displacement cruisers, it’s pretty sound advice.

M109r looks amazing, especially the B.O.S.S. edition. Hmm...is a power cruiser in my future?! :eek:

Take em for a ride and decide for yourself. I’m 5’8” and found the V-Rod fit me perfectly. Felt relatively nimble for what it is. Engine was stock and very tame in it’s power delivery. It’s got a very low profile and looks slick IMO. Some HD owners look down their nose at it in the same way anti-HD folks do. Which was kind of handy when looking at the used market as it kept pricing reasonable. But that is changing a bit as when HD discontinues any given bike, they somehow become these amazing bikes that HD has stopped making and increases their desirability.

Can’t comment on the Suzuki but, do like the look of them.

Genuine question, does it break a lot? Mr Vrod's (YouTube vlogger) Night Rod gets periodic rides on flatbeds back to the dealership.

Big fan of the night Rod and want to get one in the future

Genuine question, does it break a lot? Mr Vrod's (YouTube vlogger) Night Rod gets periodic rides on flatbeds back to the dealership.

Problem with the Vrod it`s not really a Harley mechanic bike . People like to modify stuff on the engine all the time .Unless you have mechanic that knows this motor and loves it leave it alone . I did the pipe and tuner along with suspension . 60K never left me stranded . I dynoed at 118hp plenty with 88ft/lbs of torque . Can`t comment on what people post on youtube . But on 1130cc the bikes that have problems are usually modified by owners .

@DJM owns one, and I’m sure will chime in.

From the few I’ve come across, all have been bullet proof. I almost bought one from a friend in New Brunswick that upgraded the suspension and the common performance areas such as a power commander and exhaust. A 2003 model that travelled across Canada and looped the US down the Pacific Coast and returned home up the east coast with some stops in between. He loved the bike, he maintained or replaced wear items like the drive belt, fluid changes, rubber etc. Until he injured his back at work and made the switch to a Road King.

The 2016 Nightrod I took out had the 240 rear and I didn’t notice any issues with turning. Found it downright playful compared to the Dyna Low Rider S or Breakout.

As with most bikes, the hobby funds are allocated to comfort, personal looks or performance.

It’s on my radar in the future when the right deal comes along I can’t say no to and the wife endorses.

Winter can have an effect on a rider’s mind. Never know what happens come spring. Lol.

Oh, I’ve heard of some issues related to the alarm but, that typically gets sorted early by the dealer.

Back
Top Bottom