Final call to save the world from 'climate catastrophe' | GTAMotorcycle.com

Final call to save the world from 'climate catastrophe'

roadrash

This is scary!

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45775309

Quoting from the article:

It's the final call, say scientists, the most extensive warning yet on the risks of rising global temperatures.

Their*dramatic report on keeping that rise under 1.5 degrees C*says the world is now completely off track, heading instead towards 3C.

Keeping to the preferred target of 1.5C above pre-industrial levels will mean "rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented changes in all aspects of society".

What can I do?

The report says there must be rapid and significant changes in four big global systems:

energy • land use • cities • industry

But it adds that the world cannot meet its target without changes by individuals, urging people to:

buy less meat, milk, cheese and butter and more*locally sourced seasonal food*- and throw less of it away • drive*electric cars*but walk or cycle short distances • take*trains and buses*instead of planes • use*videoconferencing*instead of business travel • use a*washing line*instead of a tumble dryer*• insulate*homes • demand*low carbonin every consumer product

The report says there must be rapid and significant changes in four big global systems:

energy • land use • cities • industry

But it adds that the world cannot meet its target without changes by individuals, urging people to:

buy less meat, milk, cheese and butter and more*locally sourced seasonal food*- and throw less of it away • drive*electric cars*but walk or cycle short distances • take*trains and buses*instead of planes • use*videoconferencing*instead of business travel • use a*washing line*instead of a tumble dryer*• insulate*homes • demand*low carbonin every consumer product

Doing that here is like farting against thunder unless China gets on board with the program.

It will never happen. We're better off spending money on birth control to lower the population. Even with batteries replacing IC engines, the pace is too fast, we're gobbling up too much of the world's land. The planet simply cannot support this many people. Just look at Africa and India - populations are way out of control.

Fake News

yeah, China and India need to get on board
and the TV President needs to be out of the picture too

but this: ??

buy less meat, milk, cheese and butter and more*locally sourced seasonal food*- and throw less of it away • drive*electric cars*but walk or cycle short distances • take*trains and buses*instead of planes • use*videoconferencing*instead of business travel • use a*washing line*instead of a tumble dryer*• insulate*homes • demand*low carbon in every consumer product

a lot of that stuff defines how live as North Americans
can't we just put a stop to the middle-classing of brown and black people
and in the west we can continue living as ********??

I don’t have kids. I’m off to burn some trees and rev my bike for no reason.

Seriously though....this is the “frog in the boiling water” scenario. No one will really care until it gets personal and until it’s way too late.

I do feel quite smug about having a house at the top of a small hill though.

and a nice lake full of fish and clean drinking water :D

I don’t have kids. I’m off to burn some trees and rev my bike for no reason.

Seriously though....this is the “frog in the boiling water” scenario. No one will really care until it gets personal and until it’s way too late.

I do feel quite smug about having a house at the top of a small hill though.

Just curious what "burning Trees" do? I burn wood to heat my home and incinerate my garbage ..no reason to send to the land fill.

Last edited:
Just curious what "burning Trees" do? I burn wood to heat my home and incinerate my garbage ..no reason to send to the land fill.

Particulates into the air and release of CO2 from combustion. If more trees are not planted it’s a net production of CO2 (trees capture it during the period they are living).

or you can leave it on the ground and it will release the CO2 when it rots.
If you don't want wood to release it's CO2 into the atmosphere you have to bury it :|

or you can leave it on the ground and it will release the CO2 when it rots.
If you don't want wood to release it's CO2 into the atmosphere you have to bury it :|

Rotting doesn’t produce the particulates. As long as new trees are planted you get a reasonable net balance or decrease of CO2. If they aren’t it’s a net increase. In Canada it’s not too much of an issue as there’s a lot of reforestation for every area that’s harvested. It’s other places where that isn’t done that are the issues. We are at a point where any deforestation anywhere should be looked at really really carefully. Forests are our best way of removing CO2.

Where's thanos when you need him

The general nature of the save the world problem is the definition of a capitalist.

A person that, if he could make a profit on it, would sell you the rope you're going to use to hang him.

The general nature of the save the world problem is the definition of a capitalist.

A person that, if he could make a profit on it, would sell you the rope you're going to use to hang him.

The biggest effect you can have on the climate apparently is to not have kids. That's not a very popular option though.

That and don't eat meat.
That's far from the case from what I've seen, at least in NA. Though there have been a number of alarmist animal agriculture news stories.
https://skepticalscience.com/animal-agriculture-meat-global-warming.htm
https://www.conferenceboard.ca/hcp/Details/Environment/greenhouse-gas-emissions.aspx
https://www.canada.ca/en/environmen...missions/sources-sinks-executive-summary.html
These say far less than 10% contribution in the US from animal agriculture and ~8% contribution in Canada from ALL agriculture combined.

Human history is filled with terrible decisions and actions. And the huge population now only makes things worse.
https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Even-Think-About-Climate/dp/163286102X
https://ssir.org/book_reviews/entry/a_climate_of_mind

Last edited:
The biggest effect you can have on the climate apparently is to not have kids. That's not a very popular option though.

2 make 0: Net -2
2 make 1: Net -1
2 make 2: Net 0

Let’s just do this.... nobody needs more than two kids.

Who's going to support you in your old age then? Should we clamp down on immigration, so we can point at the other guy and say "It wasn't us."

Back
Top Bottom