Cut the Cable | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cut the Cable

justride

....well sort of. Seeking advise on how you reduce your internet, tv, homephone and wireless fees. With Rogers now and the fees are just not doable any more. thanks.

get rid of cable TV. get rid of the landline
get a fast, unlimited home 'net connection from one of the resellers- not Bell, or Rogers or Telus
buy your own cell phone, get on a modest mobile pay as you go plan, ditch all social media to cut data usage

can be well < 100/month doing those things

Agree with most of java fans ideas. If you normally stay in toronto proper, there are great cell rate plans including lots of data from the little guys.

Think there was a pretty big thread about this last yr. We are off cable, i get about 26 stations on an antennea on chimney, interweb with cogeco is about $59.00 and netflicks covers 90% of our wants. Landline gone.

I find when I cant find something on over the air TV, and netficks binging isn't in the picture , I actually go outside!

interweb , 2 cells and we are about $125. down from $200+

Keep an eye out for yearly deals. Paying $25 after tax, including cable modem rental for 75mbps internet with Rogers (unlimited usage). Deal is for a year, but totally worth it. No contract.

Paying $40 a month for 4GB data + unlimited Canada wide calls, also with Rogers.

I never had a landline
I dumped cable and got an over the air antenna. Free channels from Buffalo and Toronto. All the major stations.
Freedom mobile for cell phone
Teksavvy for internet.

Download shows watch when you want.
Live stuff might be the only thing, especially sports. But I don't care about that.

I still have a landline....not sure why but it’s VoIP. I use Ooma Tel and it’s dirt cheap anyway. Get a decently fast internet service and everything else can be sorted out. I pay for Netflix and have Amazon Prime so get Prime TV which is getting better.

We cut the cord about 4 years ago and couldn't be happier. We used to watch way too much tv and no longer do that. We had about 13 stations when living by the lake, and now about 6 just south of Square One. Don't matter as streaming and Netflix pretty much meet all of our needs.

As for phone, keep an eye out as (gasp) x-mas is coming and this is around the time I got Koodo at 10GB@ $60/month and love it. It came back briefly, but I think it'll come back again so keep an eye out. I would love to set up a cable box but want to figure out how to program it myself...time...lack of time.

Dougie just cleaned the landlines out of the ministry of finance. Saved 18K a year or so. Seeing business' Bell bills always shocks me.

Switched to Freedom/Wind Mobile yrs ago and paying $125 incl. tax for 3 phones.

TV still with Bell but at some point I reviewed existing versus new options and cut the bill in half...only lost two channels that we watched semi-regularly. Working on an android box solution to eventually cut the cable for good.

Killed the landline as it wasn’t being used.

Took some of the savings and increased our internet speed...btw been with Start.ca for a while now.

Worth the time and effort to do some investigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep an eye out for yearly deals. Paying $25 after tax, including cable modem rental for 75mbps internet with Rogers (unlimited usage). Deal is for a year, but totally worth it. No contract.

Paying $40 a month for 4GB data + unlimited Canada wide calls, also with Rogers.
Fido currently has a 50% off promotion for their unlimited 75Mbps service. No contract, modem included. Comes out to $32.50/mth for the first year. Back to $65 after that, but I'm sure there will be other promos between now and then. Speed tests put it around 90-100Mbps of actual use.

For the Rogers plan, contact online chat and if you've been with them a while, they can apply the $40/4GB plan as a loyalty code. It's floating around RFD if you want to search yourself but I've done it for my in-laws without issue.

I'm gonna look into the Rogers $40 deal. They told me it was only for people switching from pay as you go. (they offered it to me on my son's line)

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

I'm gonna look into the Rogers $40 deal. They told me it was only for people switching from pay as you go. (they offered it to me on my son's line)

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk
Have to be persistent. Took 4 tries for me to get it last year. Depends on the rep.

Have to be persistent. Took 4 tries for me to get it last year. Depends on the rep.
From the RFD thread:

Some customers (existing Rogers and other carriers like fido looking to port # over to Rogers) have been able to call into loyalty/retention and get this plan but it depends you your service rep and a little bit of luck. Try online chat as well.

Rogers NO TAB plan:
$20 MIGM42222 No Data UNL Canada wide talk and text
$40 MIGM42223 4gb UNL Canada wide talk and text
$50 MIGM42224 6gb UNL Canada wide talk and text

Included in the plans are:
- Billed Usage-Invoice Details
- Voicemail included in Plan
- Call Display
- Call Forwarding/Call Transfer
- Unlimited Canadian LD
- Unltd Text/Pic/Video Messages
- Enhanced VM included in Plan
- None or 4GB or 6GB Data
- Name Display
- roam like home eligible (text "travel" to "222" and you will enroll in roam like home after you get this plan)

Ya but it is Rogers, it might be a good deal but they will F it up somehow, screw your bill up, charge you more, you will have to call in every month to get it fixed... yadda yadda.

Ya but it is Rogers, it might be a good deal but they will F it up somehow, screw your bill up, charge you more, you will have to call in every month to get it fixed... yadda yadda.

I know there are many valid Roger's horror stories out there, but my personal experience has been great. Any billing issues have been sorted quickly. My internet is always fast and never goes down. I tried a few resellers (Teksavvy, and I forget who else) before and was not happy with their consistency and reliability. Currently on unlimited gigabit internet for $75, it was a promo at one point.

Beginning of this year, I switched everything from Fido, Teksavvy to Rogers. Haven't had any issues.

I switched to Lucky Mobile
it's on the bell network
nationwide unltd call and text
4.5 gb data...40/month, no contract

I switched to Lucky Mobile
it's on the bell network
nationwide unltd call and text
4.5 gb data...40/month, no contract

Pretty good until I saw its only 3G speed.

I pay 48/month for 5gb LTE and calling texting etc with Koodo.

For internet I pay 39.99/month for true unlimited 100mbps down / 10mbps up with carrytel.

I have amazon prime at student rate at 39$/year (I haven’t been a student in over a decade now) which includes amazon music and amazon video. Anything on Netflix we can just torrent.

I also have an htpc running kodi and a remote torrent setup that downloads the shows we watch automatically.

Before cable tv became fully digital, we just removed the filter from the Rogers box outside our house which gave us free cable for several years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Eyesurf.$62/month,internet and canada landline.

Back
Top Bottom