Yamaha FJ 09, new Tracer GT or Verseys 1000? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha FJ 09, new Tracer GT or Verseys 1000?

Joe_72T

Hello All,

It's been awhile since I have posted. First 16 months/14k kms of riding have been complete joy. Lots of great people in this community and riding a bike is a feeling like no other.

Looking to move up from my first bike (Honda CB500F) Love the bike and it is like brand new but I'm 6'3' and wanting a bigger bike now. I like the sport touring/adventure bikes as I'd like to do some longer trips but I doubt I would go off pavement at this point so adventure may not be the way to go here. I like upright seating and want a windscreen, heated grips etc. Not looking for a big heavy tourer.

The new tracer seems like a good fit but the price is up there. Thinking a used FJ or Verseys may be better?

Any thoughts on this? Advice or suggestions on other bikes? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance,
Joe

At 6'3, I'm wondering if you'd be a bit crappy on a Versys650, or by your sheer weight make it not as nice as it may be on highway. Just spitt-balling on that, but I'd venture to argue at 5'7" and 150lbs, I can make a bike go faster than you. lol.

Anyways. I LOVE that new Tracer900 GT. It costs a lot, because Yamaha has thrown everything at it! Full TFT screen, cruise control, eletronic suspension, heated grips, etc, etc. I do hear where you're coming from though, and a used Versys1000 may do the trick!

I have an Fz8, and it's still too sporty in my opinion for serious mileage, and it's thirsty. I would hazard to suggest an Fz1 wouldn't be all that much better. I'm looking at a Versys650 LT myself. I'm still enjoying the speed of the Fz8.

I bought the FJ09 when it first came out
wanted to love the bike but it had some shortcomings

suspension was awful and could not get it dialed in
front dive on braking was ridiculous..forget about trail braking
rear was a bit better, but still a rollicking ride if you hit bumps in corners
was more pronounced when loaded up for touring
so it's an ST that don't play well in bumpy corners
and doesn't carry weight too well....it's not really an ST bike
ergos were good except the funky-wide, and too straight bars
but that engine....fantastic, and looks are the same

the new GT looks like it addresses all the drawbacks and is what the FJ was meant to be
improved and adjustable suspension
longer swing arm for stability under weight
improved ergos
and then all the electro-fancy bits

but it's getting close to FJR in $ range
a real, and refined ST

In your shoes id get the FJ09 and then keep the extra money to spend on farkles.

I eyed the Versys 650 when i was originally shopping for a bike... dont remember what year but i think its after 2012 or 2013 they change the model..it's bigger and taller so you should be alright at your height... the older model was a bit smaller (and i loved the single headlight look)

The 900GT i have no clue about... but can't be worse... but as people say it might be a bit on the higher side of your budget right?!

Coming from a 500 like you, even though the 600-700 range is a bit more... feel wise, its not an enormous difference. You'll have fun, definitely, but i felt more of a difference trying the 900 than most of the stuff (non supersport) ive tried in the 600-700 range.

Thanks for the input guys. I should have noted that I'm 195 lbs so not a lightweight for sure.

I've thought about the Verseys 650 but I think I would like to move up to a bit more than that from my 500. I guess I should ride them both to see the noticeable difference. Good point on the Tracer GT $$$ creeping up to FJR territory. I think that would be a heavy bike for what I'm after.

It's kind of a difficult decision for sure and I think it would be costly moving from bike to bike every few years. I wish there was ONE all around do it all bike!

Cheers,

I think with your size you should definitely step up beyond a 650-class motorbike. Especially if you plan to do longer trips with stretches of highway miles. I'm pretty much a commuter on my FZ8, and that's why a Versys650 appeals to me. More comfortable and much better fuel mileage. If I had the money to blow, however, I'd buy a Tracer900GT. lol.

I was able to test ride a brand new FJR1300 (matte blue) a couple of weeks ago. It was certainly a nice motorbike, but way too much motorbike for what I am using a motorcycle for.

Every motorbike has its purpose.

I'm on my fourth season on a versys 650, it's a great bike but likely a bit cramped for you. I'm 6'1" and I find the peg to seat distance is pretty tight for my legs. It's in its element on 80 km/h backroads.
I've ridden the Versys 1000 once for about two hours when I swapped with a friend. It's definitely bigger, more comfortable and has over twice the power. It also has very good passenger seating. It is an adventure-styled bike, not a true adventure bike.
Overall the versys is a great daily rider that is often overlooked.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I'd look at the Tracer GT or the FJ-09. The Tracer GT looks great but it's a lot more scratch than a new FJ-09, let alone a used one. Love the FJ-09 and a friend has one I have access to ride from time to time. There is even aftermarket cruise available for it (and with the optional OEM Tenere switch). So it depends on your budget and tolerance to buying new (higher depreciation for a the first few years). A used FJ-09 at a good price is going to be great value.

GL

Now, when you say "first 16months..." are you talking with a motorcycle license? Because if that is the case your first step is to get proper quotes from insurance companies. The 900-1000cc market can be painful as far as insurance goes and may change what you're looking at. A new bike is fun, but when you have to pay 25% of the purchase price for insurance every year it hurts! (trust me, I did the stupidest thing possible and bought an 1100cc bike at 16 with an M2!)

After that, you can get recommendations all you want, watch every YouTube video test ride and comparison out there and none of this will tell you as much as 5 min of sitting on one, even sitting still on it at a show or in a showroom. Neither bike will disappoint you coming from a 500f (or most bikes for that matter). Unless you're one of a handful of professional riders in the world either bike's true limits are most likely out of your reach, especially on the street. Both are excellent machines. My suggestion is to pick whichever one feels best under your butt and then factor in looks 2nd. You can't see it while you're riding it so it's much more important that it feels good vs looks good.

Back
Top Bottom