Anyone ever done serious mileage on a ducati monster? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone ever done serious mileage on a ducati monster?

perferd

I dont mean daily around town commuting. I know it's not a touring bike like a goldwing but just wondering how it fares above your standard a to b commuter bike.

I'm sure things like wind can be fixed with a windscreen and no hard luggage with a back pack. Also more upright seating for less wear and tear on your back. But one thing I dont know is fuel mileage...

I dont mean daily around town commuting. I know it's not a touring bike like a goldwing but just wondering how it fares above your standard a to b commuter bike.

I'm sure things like wind can be fixed with a windscreen and no hard luggage with a back pack. Also more upright seating for less wear and tear on your back. But one thing I dont know is fuel mileage...

What monster are we talking about?

I've been on a fair bit of nakeds and never felt the wind on them below legal limits, i wouldn't worry about it too much (windy days obv. being the exception).

I would say you could expect 150-220kms out of a tank, they aren't exceptionally big as i recall.

1100 evo specifically

3.57 gallon tank at 40mpg is roughly 225 k's per tank. That based solely on numbers pulled from the net not by riders...

I just assumed wind would be bad as it in on my ss even at a lower upper body lean angle to the bars.

1100 evo specifically

3.57 gallon tank at 40mpg is roughly 225 k's per tank. That based solely on numbers pulled from the net not by riders...

I just assumed wind would be bad as it in on my ss even at a lower upper body lean angle to the bars.

Alright, sure i guess you may notice the difference but you acclimate.

What monster are we talking about?

I've been on a fair bit of nakeds and never felt the wind on them below legal limits, i wouldn't worry about it too much (windy days obv. being the exception).

Yeah, IDK... I have also owned a few bikes without windscreens and some of them I have been buffeted pretty badly (GS500 comes to mind). I am 6' 1" though, that is probably a factor

Yeah, IDK... I have also owned a few bikes without windscreens and some of them I have been buffeted pretty badly (GS500 comes to mind). I am 6' 1" though, that is probably a factor

On the street?!

I owned a 620 and a 900 for a number of yrs, both had the bikini fairing which didnt do a lot for buffering. Niether had a fuel gauge which drove me bonkers, they both had a trip counter which is the 'gauge' . I really enjoyed both and mileage was close to 300k on the 620 and 220-230k on the other but they both got thirsty at 125-130km on the highway.
I had a couple helmets at the time and could noticably feel the difference in lids at speed.
I bought some 'soft' saddlebags and a rearbag/ tank bag, I hate backpacks. The magnets on the tank bag will actually mess up the paint if left on for days, take it off every night.
I wouldn't rule out owning another for me.
Most awkward was the seating design, you tend to slide forward on them and end up balls to tank, I was constantly scootching back

I went 1200km in one day on my S2R 1000. 200 km between fill ups. Most fun around town bike you will ever find. For longer trips there are way more comfortable/practical machines.

A friend rode a Monster from T.O. to Vancouver Island and back with no issues two summers ago.
'Back in the day' I did transcontinental rides on a naked 1972 CL450, 1976 Gold Wing and a 1979 CBX.
Gear up, enjoy the ride - if you desperately need a windshield, heated grips and a comfy chair drive a cage.

I have toured on a naked bike (CB919) and it was ok, I would certainly not want to do any serious touring with a backpack on. Would soft saddle bags not work on a Monster? Obviously not an ideal bike for touring but you can tour on anything as long as you can put up with certain things. All comes down to the rider in the end.

How much touring do you plan on doing? I can't imagine going any distance on that bike myself anymore, I am spoiled with my big GSA.

I dont know it's just something I want the option to do. On my ss I have zero opportunity to tour as when riding with the wife for 1hr 2hrs ect my back is just destroyed. I'm sure at some point we will do and over night somewhere or ride to Toronto or what not. But if I'm honest with myself 90% of the riding will be around windsor with some ramping and trips down river road. I will do more detroit or michigan rides and longer day trips but the out of province out of country trips will be few and far between...although that's not what I want to say or have happen...

Seems like a decent trade, personally id push for en exhaust to be thrown in..maybe if you throw a couple bucks in.

I did a few 8-9hr rides on my 696, could get ~20-21km/L on those days. Sore by the end of it, but doable. I had that thing for 4 years, it was a great bike.

On the 1100 EVO, here's some real world fuel figures: http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/ducati/monster_1100_evo

That bike is a solid $2500 over what it's worth in my opinion, but I guess that's what you get going through a dealership. It's also about 8000km away from a ~$800-1000 service, technically according to the maintenance schedule it probably needs its belts done right away anyways due to age

This was not the original offer. The original offer was for a 2007 benelli tnt to which i said I was not familiar with at all. He sent me pics of that bike and it looked to be in some sort of showroom. I asked if he was a dealer and he said yes along with having another bike he could offer as well which is this 1100 evo. I was already under the impression the bike was over priced due to it being sold by a dealer but I didnt know by how much. As for his offer to trade he is offering the bikes 1 for 1 plus a new set of tires and he does all the paperwork and any fees associated. My bike goes in as a trade and i buy this bike is what i think essentially. As far as paperwork and fees I'm not entirely sure what is meant by that maybe somehow it's different for him being a dealer and this being the dealerships bike? I just assumed if I were to trade my bike with someone with or without cash it would be a simple signing over of ownership and then registering the bike. If any paperwork was needed for taxes we would just say each bike was worth $1 to not pay taxes or what not.

I have an 1100evo and have ridden it for three seasons. Bike is actually for sale:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...p_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

I have ridden it for full-day rides and fuel economy depends on how you ride it. If you’re gentle with your throttle, you will see 200-250 km on a tank. If you’re having fun, that number comes down to the 170-200 km range. I do know guys who have toured to Ottawa, Montreal and beyond on the 1100evo. PM me a phone number and Id be happy to fill you in. PS, that bike is way overpriced and yes the service you’re looking at will run 800-1000 depending on where you go (cough ... my bike has all services complete ... cough).

PS, a magnetic tank bag is of no use with this bike, the “tank” is actually plastic panels that cover the fuel cell and other bits.

With respect to touring, the bike I’m selling includes the stock seat, the Ducati Performance comfort seat and the Ducati Performance factory tail bag. The Ducati performance side bags do not work on the 1100evo without modifying them because they are designed for the undertail exhaust setup of the 1100/796/696 monsters.

Thx for the info and I have seen your bike on kijiji. Thing is I'm either selling my bike or trading my bike and the one in question was an offer.

Until I sell my bike I'm not in the market unless its traded for...

Back
Top Bottom