Dealer service tool question. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dealer service tool question.

jc100

I have a service to do on my bike, not a big one, just oil change, sprocket/chain guide inspection, air filter/fluids inspection and also “connection to dealer service computer to clear faults etc”. The bike is under an extended warranty and I plan to keep to the service schedule but do most things myself. Obviously, I can’t connect the bike to the dealer service computer. Do other mechanics aside from dealers have these things or am I going to have to ride the 2h to GP Bikes to hook the bike up?

Also, should I time document everything I do with pictures etc for warranty purposes? I know we aren’t covered by the Magnussen act that they have in the US for doing your own work but I did find other info that in order to deny warranty work they would have to prove that the defect was due to an improperly serviced part.

OBD2 scanner can be used
but need a pigtail harness adapter
some shops other then the dealer may have this

there needs to be obvious physical signs of lack of MTC to deny warranty
but keeping a MTC journal and receipts can't hurt

OBD2 scanner can be used
but need a pigtail harness adapter
some shops other then the dealer may have this

there needs to be obvious physical signs of lack of MTC to deny warranty
but keeping a MTC journal and receipts can't hurt

Might need proprietary software too though I think. It’s a KTM...both my closest dealers are about 2h away unless the guy in Perth can hook up ADV bikes (I think he just deals with dirt bikes). Don’t mind the ride, would just prefer an alternative if it’s just 30 mins of shop time.

........... am I going to have to ride the 2h to GP Bikes to hook the bike up?

Also, should I time document everything I do with pictures etc for warranty purposes? I know we aren’t covered by the Magnussen act that they have in the US for doing your own work but I did find other info that in order to deny warranty work they would have to prove that the defect was due to an improperly serviced part.

If you're concerned about how the dealer (GP Bikes I assume) is going to deal with a warranty issue when you're doing routine maintenance vs. paying them do it why not just call their service manager and lay out your concern and/or questions. Presumably he'll tell you what their position is and then you'll know where you stand vs. second guessing the process and then being caught if you have a major warranty issue they decline to cover.

I don't think I have ever owned a warranty that did not specifically apply only to 'defects in materials or workmanship' The problem with making warranty claims is rarely lack of maintenance documentation, it is usually in proving that the defect was directly related to defects in materials or workmanship attributed to the OEM.

I had 1 successful warranty claim since I been riding motorcycles and it was for a 7$ speedometer cable :/ Sonic motorcycles argued with me for 2 hours that it was not a warranty item, repeatedly ignored me hoping I would just go away and then finally just threw me one that they had in stock to begin with. ymmv.
... lol any body here else old enough to remember Sonic motorcycles.

If you're concerned about how the dealer (GP Bikes I assume) is going to deal with a warranty issue when you're doing routine maintenance vs. paying them do it why not just call their service manager and lay out your concern and/or questions. Presumably he'll tell you what their position is and then you'll know where you stand vs. second guessing the process and then being caught if you have a major warranty issue they decline to cover.

It's an aftermarket extended warranty that I can use at any mechanic in the program either here or in the US.

I had one of those for my Triumph. Worked great. The issue with the KTM is the software isn't available to home users, there's no Tuneboy equivalent it seems.

I think I'll just do my maintenance and take some time/date stamp photos and then ride down to GP Bikes for the diagnostic hook up at some point. Chances are there's a software update to do anyway.

It's an aftermarket extended warranty that I can use at any mechanic in the program either here or in the US.

Not to flog a dead horse here, but usually these 3rd party warranty programs have some pretty specific language in the contract fine print, which I'm assuming you read and understood, about doing routine maintenance and evidence of same. Same advice applies in that these are the people you should contact (vs. GP Bikes) to clarify expectations or they will probable hang you out to dry in the event of a claim.

I wish you better luck than anyone else I know who has had to deal with a 3rd part extended warranty provider, albeit all for cars and suv's, when something went wrong and had to be fixed. Demands for all maintenance records from day one and what seems to a position of your claim is automatically suspect or denied unless you can prove you've done all maintenance and/or did not abuse the vehicle. There is often a stipulation that a claim must be approved in advance of the repair, which can be a show stopper if they drag the process out over weeks and your ride is in the shop.

Most Extended Warranties aren't worth it. They are so specific that one little thing outside the lines void them. Read the fine print.

Not to flog a dead horse here, but usually these 3rd party warranty programs have some pretty specific language in the contract fine print, which I'm assuming you read and understood, about doing routine maintenance and evidence of same. Same advice applies in that these are the people you should contact (vs. GP Bikes) to clarify expectations or they will probable hang you out to dry in the event of a claim.

I wish you better luck than anyone else I know who has had to deal with a 3rd part extended warranty provider, albeit all for cars and suv's, when something went wrong and had to be fixed. Demands for all maintenance records from day one and what seems to a position of your claim is automatically suspect or denied unless you can prove you've done all maintenance and/or did not abuse the vehicle. There is often a stipulation that a claim must be approved in advance of the repair, which can be a show stopper if they drag the process out over weeks and your ride is in the shop.

Agreed. I did look at reviews and the fine print before signing up for the warranty. It was more for a little piece of mind and also sales value down the road. I just want to make sure there's no leeway to deny a claim based on me performing most of the work to keep up with the service schedule. This isn't a valve adjustment or anything even that involved.

... This isn't a valve adjustment or anything even that involved.
That's good because a valve adjustment would not be covered under a manufacturers warranty, they only cover defects in materials or workmanship.

did they say they wanted to connect the service tool to clear faults?
in all likelihood, if there's no warning on the cluster, there are no faults
simply clearing them accomplishes nothing, they will become active again

if the bike is running fine and no warnings on the cluster
I'd do the basic MTC locally, or myself
and keep the electronic gizmo for a big, dealer-visit service

did they say they wanted to connect the service tool to clear faults?
in all likelihood, if there's no warning on the cluster, there are no faults
simply clearing them accomplishes nothing, they will become active again

if the bike is running fine and no warnings on the cluster
I'd do the basic MTC locally, or myself
and keep the electronic gizmo for a big, dealer-visit service

Its a line item on the OEM service schedule.

That's good because a valve adjustment would not be covered under a manufacturers warranty, they only cover defects in materials or workmanship.

No but other engine damage might be and if that was tied into valves being out of spec and you had neglected to do a valve adjustment check at the specified service interval then that opens the path to deny a claim.

Obviously yours could be different, but last time I had a 3rd party warranty, they required invoices for oil changes, wasn't even allowed to do those myself.

Yes Trials, I remember Sonic.I bought a brand new 1980 Suzuki GS750 from them.I grew up just around the corner at Mcowan and Kingston Rd. They were one of the better dealerships around at the time,many of which no longer exist.Speaking of warranties, I knew a guy that bought a brand new Katana 750 the first year they came out from Toronto Motorbike (formerly Sonic),in 1983 I think.They guy locked up his back brake going through a corner way too hot and totalled the bike,I think it only had like 500 kilometres on it.He took the totalled bike back to Toronto Motorbike (formerly Sonic) and told them the brakes were faulty on it.Long story short, a Suzuki warranty rep came and looked at the bike.He said that there some question in his mind regarding the brakes and Suzuki repaired the wrecked bike completely under warranty.It looked like a new bike when he got it back.

Last edited:
I had 1 successful warranty claim since I been riding motorcycles and it was for a 7$ speedometer cable :/ Sonic motorcycles argued with me for 2 hours that it was not a warranty item, repeatedly ignored me hoping I would just go away and then finally just threw me one that they had in stock to begin with. ymmv.
... lol any body here else old enough to remember Sonic motorcycles.

I got tossed out of Sonic a couple of times by Bill Sharpless (Toni's dad) but everyone else there was terrific.
John DeGruchy, Peter Grant, Paul Eggleton and company were the go-to guys for Bultaco.

Yes Trials, I remember Sonic.I bought a brand new 1980 Suzuki GS750 from them.I grew up just around the corner at Mcowan and Kingston Rd. They were one of the better dealerships around at the time,many of which no longer exist.Speaking of warranties, I knew a guy that bought a brand new Katana 750 the first year they came out from Toronto Motorbike (formerly Sonic),in 1983 I think.They guy locked up his back brake going through a corner way too hot and totalled the bike,I think it only had like 500 kilometres on it.He took the totalled bike back to Toronto Motorbike (formerly Sonic) and told them the brakes were faulty on it.Long story short, a Suzuki warranty rep came and looked at the bike.He said that there some question in his mind regarding the brakes and Suzuki repaired the wrecked bike completely under warranty.It looked like a new bike when he got it back.

Sonic was at Eglinton and Victoria Park - you're maybe thinking of Pit Shop ?
Toronto Motorbike was at Yonge and Davisville.
Fack, I'm old.... :eek:

Back
Top Bottom