Newfoundland 2up on a Burgman? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Newfoundland 2up on a Burgman?

timtune

Site Supporter
After spending almost 2 years trying to find a bike that fits my afflicted hips and knees I'm thinking about a 650 Burgman.

This is to replace a GL1200 that we toured on for a number of summers.

We're hoping to do NL next summer. With a topbox and saddlebags the Burgman would actually have more storage.

I'm 145lb and the Squeeze is 125lb.

Should we have any concerns about making the trip on this bike?

Havn't bot one yet - are there any known issues to watch for?

Thanks

They are a pretty solid scooter. They have been around a long time and have a great reputation. MacDoc will chime in shortly as he is a big fan of the Burgman.

You rang?
The bike will do it tho I'd suggest new tires to start the trip as that's a weak spot.
You've got superb weather protection.

Suspension sucks in terms of comfort....you'll feel the frost heaves tho the bike remains stable at speed in corners.
Brakes and lights are excellent. Heated grips useful in NL as is the power windscreen for bugs. NL temps are low even in summer so layer up.

Smallish fuel tank means managing fuel stops and a small spare gas container would be advised

I was spoiled with a Russel seat so distance was not an issue.

Better current info on the http://burgmanusa.com/ site.

Later model Execs are reliable rides. 2003 to be avoided.

Enjoy

Practical fuel range is about 200km. 2003s are fine (60K and still going strong here) but I wouldn't recommend any 15 year-old bike for a long trip. Stock suspension a bit mushy, probably more so 2up + luggage. Upgrades are pretty simple though. Stock seat is meh, like most stock seats. Agree on the upgraded saddle--you're going to be sitting on the thing for long stretches. Weather protection is solid, lots of electrical overhead for gear. Low likelihood of theft.

Spare rear tire sounds like a solid plan.

... remember the movie 'the straight story'

...but I wouldn't recommend any 15 year-old bike for a long trip.

Really? Why not? There shouldn't be a problem if the bike is properly prepared.

I've ridden to Alaska and Newfoundland and plenty of points in between on my 2002 Tiger. And Triumph dealers are few, especially in remote ends of the continent.

Any trouble I've had has been self induced.

via Tapatalk

Yeah my KLR is rock solid and 14 years old. 2003 was the first Burgman 650 year tho and there have been improvements. My 2005 was pretty good and the 2009 excellent ..put over 50,000 km on both trouble free...one battery each and too many rear tires.

Really? Why not? There shouldn't be a problem if the bike is properly prepared.

OP doesn't own a Burgman yet. While a great platform, servicing them properly is a nuisance-and-a-half. Plenty of awkward, interlocking bodywork around the engine. Shops are pretty reluctant to work on them, beyond oil changes. After 15 years, a lot of maintenance has probably been neglected. Also, a number of parts are specific to the 2003 and no longer available anywhere. *Shrugs* Just offering my opinion and experience as an owner.

but I wouldn't recommend any 15 year-old bike for a long trip..[/QUOTE said:
doesn't scare me a bit. this would be a replacement for an '86 Wing that never gave me a lick of trouble.

Back
Top Bottom