YSR 80 winter project body work painted – some questions about Powder Coating | GTAMotorcycle.com

YSR 80 winter project body work painted – some questions about Powder Coating

Clem

I’m making a lot of headway on my little YSR 80 and did the paint on the weekend. I was able to use my friend Sid’s booth as his shop is closed Saturday and Sunday.

On his recommendation I ended up buying Proform base and clear (I just ended up using his epoxy and high build primers as he has gallons of the stuff). I’ve never heard of it and I didn’t know what to expect but he asked me to humour him. It’s manufactured and/or packaged in Milton and its not an expensive paint, maybe a little more expensive than Nason or Omni. I ended up using their clear with a medium activator and I have to say it laid down the best of any paint I’ve used. Its almost like glass and will not require much buffing – if it were a track bike I would just leave it. Its way better than the PPG clear I used on the GPZ and 1,000,000 times better than Nason clear.

I just wanted to give a shout out to a little Canadian Company (I am in no way affiliated with them). Anyone doing their track bike over the winter should maybe have a look at it as an option.

I also wanted to thank Delboy on this board. I was having problems finding a paint code for Yamaha Marlboro Red so he recommended Hiroboy model paint. It comes in Base/Clear so I bought 4 bottles of the base and shot it from a little touch up gun. It turned out really nice and really pops over the white base. I’ll take some pictures and post them when I have time.

The next thing is to get the frame, wheels and other bits and pieces powder coated, so my questions…

I used Brightside for the GPZ. Mike did a great job and I was very happy with his work, but I’ve been trying to phone them, and it just keeps going to voicemail which is always full. Does anyone know if he is still in business?

Sid recommended Fireflash Coatings in Courtice as he uses them for Chassis parts. Anyone ever used them for frames or wheels?

TIA

Glad to hear that it worked out for you.

People laugh at me when I tell them to use model paints, but Hiro do a really high quality base/clear urethane as painting models is much more difficult than painting a full size car or bike.

If you need a team colour its hard to get a paint shop to mix that as they don't give out the code or if you just want to paint a couple of stripes there is no point buying a whole pint. The only down side is that its thin as its designed for an airbrush so ideally you want to use an airbrush or a small touch-up gun and apply light coats or it can run. I've cleared over it with PPG, Sikkens and HOK and its held up for years.

Can't help you on the Powder Coat. I used to use ABC in Port Hope. Its a bit of a drive though

Back
Top Bottom