Iron 883 one of the most beautiful and also maligned motorcycle | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Iron 883 one of the most beautiful and also maligned motorcycle

I'm getting scared now that this is too big of a jump for me. I mean a ss straight into a cruiser. I think my first thought of an MT-10 is still the best route to go.

It's not a done deal as I do see some really nice looking cruisers but I just dont know if that's for me yet...

Thx guys

Back in 2011 I found a guy who wanted to trade his 99 HD super glide for an adventure bike. At the time I had a KTM950 ADV, was looking for a change, and I always loved the looks of the standard super glide with spoke wheels so he/I took the plunge.

6 months later I sold it and bought my current KTM 990 SMT.

There was nothing wrong with the super glide, it just wasn't the right bike for how and where I like to ride. I live in Port Hope and like 2 lane highways and secondary roads, and I don't ride particularly fast. Plenty of patched pot holes, crap appearing in mid turn, occasional gravel and spur of the moment direction changes brought on by, "Hey...what the heck was that.", or "Oooo….that's cool."

It was fast enough, and had great throttle response and mid range, so it was lots of fun. But it was WAAAY to heavy for it's physical size, and had suspension and brakes that were inferior to my 1987 K100RS that I owned for 18 years. Additionally the lack of ground clearance resulted in a detour through the (shallow) ditch as immovable objects contacted pavement mid turn in a curve that I regularly pass through. I was riding AT THE POSTED limit of 50 kph limit.

It was comfortable enough to ride from fill up to fill up, but you were really ready to get off when the time came. If you like the attention of strangers, it was great as everybody wanted to talk and every cruiser or touring bike on the road would wave. I, on the other hand, do not like the attention of strangers so the "conversations" were mostly interruptions for me.

It was a beautiful bike, well made and satisfying to work on and own, but just wrong for me AT THIS TIME and maybe forever. I still like HD's ,and am attracted to the street glides but I find the floor boards disorienting.

In summary, decide what kind of riding you like to do and where. Perhaps the sportster is the right bike, and if it isn't sell it and move on.

Back
Top Bottom