Iron 883 one of the most beautiful and also maligned motorcycle | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Iron 883 one of the most beautiful and also maligned motorcycle

Not mine.

Please view this ad:

Harley-Davidson 2013 Sportster Iron 883,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...ampaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: $*10,900

From what I can see, springer seat, Air Intake, complete exhaust, pegs, raised tank, rear shocks, handlebars, grips, mirrors and likely cables. Likely a fuel map.

Could have spent $5k if they purchased at the dealer and had them install.

No way they will recoup on the farkles. It’s a nice bike though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Test ride one before you bite, it's going to be quite the switch!

My wife has a vstar and its comfortable but man it has no power and it weird to ride. In fact I rode it yesterday right after my f4 while winterizing both bikes. I felt like I didnt know how to ride a bike lol

There's nothing "wrong" with an 883 so long as you're honest about what it is and isn't and you're okay with that. Its a nice looking bike that will take you from point A to point B easily at all posted speed limits and will stop adequately. In it's natural environment (urban) it will most likely destroy your spine after 40km as I believe it has 1.5" of rear shock travel which is not enough for the pothole infested streets of Toronto or any other major northern city.

It is what it is, heavy on style, light on performance. If that's your thing than it's the bike for you. There's a bike for every rider.

I dont like cruiser bikes but lately with my back problems I am opening my eyes to them. I rode my mv f4 literally for 30min and the rest of the day my back was jacked. Today I am dying and not sure if I'll go to work tomorrow...

I was bored and looked at my local Harley and really like this bike lol...

https://www.thunderroadharley.com/d...=6030517&p=1&s=Year&d=D&fr=xpreownedinventory
Nice looking bike but luggage and a batwing on a sportster? I can't think of a worse Harley to set up for touring...

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Nice looking bike but luggage and a batwing on a sportster? I can't think of a worse Harley to set up for touring...

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

What's a batwing? Why is it the worst? To me it looks around the best style and about the smallest lightest most agile. The big bikes look like they weigh 10k lbs and the styling is gross.

What's a batwing? Why is it the worst? To me it looks around the best style and about the smallest lightest most agile. The big bikes look like they weigh 10k lbs and the styling is gross.

"Batwing" refers to the shape of the fairing; it might be primarily an aftermarket term. I see what iceman is saying, short suspension, aftermarket handlebar mounted fairing etc. on a sportster platform likely isn't an ideal touring platform. The bike wasn't designed with a fairing like that in mind. Taking a 1200 custom platform and adding bags and perhaps a smaller fairing might be a great choice for weekend travel or maybe longer trips. Price seems OK though.

I just see it as a smaller bike with the ability to travel with a windscreen and bags. Also looks like something that could do regular runs around town. The Huge touring bikes just seem crazy to ride around town and they look big and goofy.

Is there another platform outside of the huge bikes that would work better?

BMW R nine T or a Moto Guzzi immediately come to mind :cool:

I just see it as a smaller bike with the ability to travel with a windscreen and bags. Also looks like something that could do regular runs around town. The Huge touring bikes just seem crazy to ride around town and they look big and goofy.

very nice looking bike, I like the matching hard luggage
but the batwing looks goofy on a sporty
suppose you could tour on it
assuming you don't mind stopping once an hour to stretch out

very nice looking bike, I like the matching hard luggage
but the batwing looks goofy on a sporty
suppose you could tour on it
assuming you don't mind stopping once an hour to stretch out

Why the need to stop after an hour? I always assumed on a cruiser you could go all day long...

Why the need to stop after an hour? I always assumed on a cruiser you could go all day long...

suspension is just brutal
would call for frequent stops, or you'd be crippled at the end of the day
and would be hard to do multi-day trips with long days

one thing about the foot-forward cruiser style
is that you're also kinda locked into seating position
not able to move around on the saddle like upright bikes

normally on long days you can slide forward or back a bit
which changes the angle slightly on knees and elbows and wrists
with 100% weight distribution or your backside with a cruiser
not much movement is possible

Ah great post thx. I've never ridden a cruiser for an extended period of time so I just assumed it was perfect for long days being called a cruiser for one and the guys always look so comfortable lol.

I have zero skin in the game I'm just trying to find my way...

I get what you're saying about the big touring bikes. Harley-wise, The old twin shock dyna platform was pretty good. They had a model that came with removable bags and a screen and it was a capable touring rig from what I recall.
The thing is, if you like the sportster custom platform there's nothing saying you couldn't add a set of panniers and install a smaller fairing that would have a less negative impact on handling while providing good wind deflection.

Like everything, it depends on the person. Stock seats on any bike seem universally awful for their intended purpose. I would dig around cruiser-specific forums and see what the lowdown is. Motorcyclists are natural complainers, so finding a model that fits the bill should be easy, not to mention accurate advice on accessories and mods. All styles of bike have their ergonomic stress points. Personally, I never had issues with cruisers, scooters or street-bikes as long as they had decent suspension and seating. Taking breaks is important too, which often forgotten in the rush to claim X hours of continuous riding.

Ah great post thx. I've never ridden a cruiser for an extended period of time so I just assumed it was perfect for long days being called a cruiser for one and the guys always look so comfortable lol.

I have zero skin in the game I'm just trying to find my way...
Cruisers are often setup for long seat times -- their saddles are wider and more padded. The one in your pic is same, it would be an all-day seat for me. The toughest part I find is the feet forward pegs, they make it harder to push up out of the seat if you need to relieve pressure points.

Personally I've never found any motorcycle seat to be a comfort weakness. I've never been picky about seats, I've done long days on every imaginable setup and can't recall any late model setup where the stock seat was the weak link in comfort.

I'm getting scared now that this is too big of a jump for me. I mean a ss straight into a cruiser. I think my first thought of an MT-10 is still the best route to go.

It's not a done deal as I do see some really nice looking cruisers but I just dont know if that's for me yet...

Thx guys

Those aren't cruiser style bikes though are they?
much closer to a euro bike standard, less rake and trail then the average cruise, taller saddle, better suspension frame and brakes, shaft drive but the motor is already longitudinal so it works pretty darn good, lots of aftermarket add ons available for both to make it more tour like or more sport like, tire sizes allow for a better selection of performance rubber.
:imho

... and it doesn't sound like non muffled Massy-Davidson farm machinery

Last edited:
https://www.blackbridgeharley.com/harley-davidson-upcoming-events--xcalendar

For your m2? Take a ride down to KW and ride some cruisers.

At least you’ll get a feel for how they ride, their weight, braking etc.

Then shop for something cheaper and in your price range. Doesn’t need to be a HD either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm assuming you thought my post referring to the MT-10 which is the yamaha version of the super naked bike was an auto correct for motorcycle licensing here in Canada?

I've ridden my wife's vstar 650 and my uncles break out and they were equally strange to ride but felt easier on my back. Maybe next year I'll look into doing some demo days or what not...

Back
Top Bottom