Shopping For A New Bike (600-750) - Suggestions? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shopping For A New Bike (600-750) - Suggestions?

Phoenixfire99

I'm thinking of selling my VFR800 and getting something different.

My riding has changed over the years from week-long canyon carving capped with nights of camping, to weekend-long canyon carving with nights at accommodations with roofs.

I love my VFR but I realized that I want something more nimble.

I had a CBRF4i for a while and I really enjoyed it. But before I start my kijiji search for the last of the F4is that are still out there - I'd like to hear your suggestions for a 600-750 sport-tourer that's comfy enough for 1,000km days and can also perform well on the track and the mountain twisties.

Suggestions anyone?

LOL, the VFR and F4i are two of the bikes in our garage, and my wife looked for something like you described and in the end figured her F4i was still the best option. We are going to look for handlebar risers or Helibars to make it more comfortable, though.

You have mountain twisties?

Triples are indeed inherently more "nimble" then a traverse I-4 but I can't think of any comfy sport touring machines that are track worthy, you are always going to be compromising on one of those things imho. Have ridden a VFR (nice bike!) but found the fairing to be too small to offer the rider significant wind protection :/ is almost like it was designed in a wind tunnel with no rider on board. ... the obvious problem there is that the wind is trying to peal you off the bike at high speed. Does that sound like what you are experiencing?

You have mountain twisties?

In Pennsylvania ;)

The Triumph triple is now on the short list.

I didn't even think of wind protection I was really referring to 'keester cushion' when talking about comfort.
About track days, I want a bike that I can take that wont get turned away. I went to a track clinic one time and they wouldn't allow Vstroms on as they weren't considered sporty enough (the VFR was more than fine).

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Anyone else have some recommendations?

My 2015 Ninja 650 ABS spends a lot of time in Pennsylvania twisties. Few comfort mods (Corbin seat, taller windscreen) and some luxury mods (Givi saddle bags, tank bag, USB port, throttle lock etc..) added and it's an all-day rider. Regularly run 8-12 hour days in comfort.

IMG_2140.jpg

Street Triple R sounds like it would fit your bill if you like wind in your chest.

+1. I've toured and tracked with my '09 Striple R. I haven't ridden another bike more capable of doing both, a bit more wind protection would be nice though.

I put 90,000 miles on a humble Suzuki V-Strom 650, starting when I was 64. It has taken me to ten provinces
and 40 states with no fuss at all, bone stock except for a centre-stand (to simplify chain maintenance) and handguards.
After a few years, I strapped on a simple foam cushion, and that made thousand-kilometer days much more pleasant.

The pizazz of a CBR, it ain't got, but it has taken me to lots of campsites and lots of crummy hotels over the years.

Give it a thought.

weekend-long canyon carving with nights at accommodations with roofs.

sounds like my kind of riding
although I still like to get at least one long tour per year

actually have been looking for a decent VFR
seems to be the perfect bike for that kind of riding
and would be the ideal stable mate to the cruiser
have given up on the idea of the one, do it all bike
in all fairness a guy should have at least 4 to choose from

smaller displacement canyon carving, maybe an MT-07?
nakeds are cool, but even for weekend trips I'd still like some wind/rain protection

+1 for the Street Triple R. Ive owned my '16 for about two years now bought it brand new from GP bikes. I put on about 9k a season. It is my only way of transportation since i do not own a car so i ride it up until there is snow on the ground or below zero. I would not trade it for anything else, i have ridden fz09, cbr600rr and couple of gixxers and buddys r6 and nothing compares to how nimble the STR really is, it will take the twisties all day long with comfortable seating position. I rode it up to Mont Tremblant in quebec this year and loved it.

Back
Top Bottom