Winter Tires ... where do you get them? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Winter Tires ... where do you get them?

Winter tires are for winter, lots of people still have this old mindset that you only needed proper tires when it snows.

Insurance companies are catching on. Most offer discounted rates when your vehicle has winter tires.

I think the discount is actually mandated by law

I would say anything anyone can do to minimize their risk to themselves and others should be done. Is $400 every what 4 years not worth the investment to avoid a potential accident? Can you trust people to really park their car otherwise? I say no.

Well then we should all be driving 4WD vehicles with roll cages. But we don't all do that.

I understand where you are coming from it doesn't "seem" like much of an investment. But everyone's priorities for funds are different. I have winter tires and I see no real need for them around the GTA (I have driven with winters for years and years). If someone really wants to minimize their risk, they can start by cleaning all the snow off their car/windows so they can see other drivers. This costs nothing and yet people can't understand this simple benefit??

Not sure where you buy your tires, but sounds like a great deal. I spent close to $1000 for nokian hakkapeliitta tires, steel rims and install.

Last edited:
Well then we should all be driving 4WD vehicles with roll cages. But we don't all do that.

I understand where you are coming from it doesn't "seem" like much of an investment. But everyone's priorities for funds are different. I have winter tires and I see no real need for them around the GTA (I have driven with winters for years and years). If someone really wants to minimize their risk, they can start by cleaning all the snow off their car/windows so they can see other drivers. This costs nothing and yet people can't understand this simple benefit??

Not sure where you buy your tires, but sounds like a great deal. I spent close to $1000 for nokian hakkapeliitta tires, steel rims and install.

Poor choice of words on my part.

Not going to really get much sympathy about fund priorities when they are rocking a bike, or HD at that.

:p

Touche about the cleaning off your car. I think i give up because you just reminded me how bad people are at life. lol

Last edited:
I am all for people being able to use all season tires in the winter. Most of the time they are more than adequate and the roads are dry. But, if someobe is out in a snowstorm with inadequate tires they should lose your license for a while. Clearly that person is incapable of operating their vehicle safely. Way too many people were getting stuck on small dips. Stay the **** home.

So many sick calls at work yesterday. I wish I didn't have winter tires so I could of stayed home too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Friend works at a hotel near the airport, hundreds of visitors to T.O. with rental cars= no snow tires, staying at the hotel are abandoning cars all over the place, they cant move. Coming from places where it never snows into near record snow falls.

Nice suits, fancy loafers , no mittens.....

I am all for people being able to use all season tires in the winter. Most of the time they are more than adequate and the roads are dry. But, if someobe is out in a snowstorm with inadequate tires they should lose your license for a while. Clearly that person is incapable of operating their vehicle safely. Way too many people were getting stuck on small dips. Stay the **** home.
Yep, so many people I know personally got stuck. One of them got stuck on the 401. Somehow made it off the highway eventually, only to get stuck in the street behind his house. CAA had to come to the rescue.

Just glad I can work from home.

Friend works at a hotel near the airport, hundreds of visitors to T.O. with rental cars= no snow tires, staying at the hotel are abandoning cars all over the place, they cant move. Coming from places where it never snows into near record snow falls.

Nice suits, fancy loafers , no mittens.....

I had to fly to calgary and rent a car to drive to interior BC one winter. Legally, you can't drive past banff without snow tires and/or chains. It was not possible to rent a vehicle with snow tires in Calgary for any price. It seemed nuts to me. Just tack $100 on my rental if I ask for snows and we are both happy.

I had to fly to calgary and rent a car to drive to interior BC one winter. Legally, you can't drive past banff without snow tires and/or chains. It was not possible to rent a vehicle with snow tires in Calgary for any price. It seemed nuts to me. Just tack $100 on my rental if I ask for snows and we are both happy.
Not true

High Mountain Passes Winter Tire Requirements

While M+S tires with 3.5 mm tread is the*minimum requirement*for winter driving in B.C. it is highly recommended that you use mountain snowflake tires and carry chains while driving high mountain passes*

You can pre pay and reserve winter tires with avis. You will get proper winter tires. Other companies offer winter tires, you can call and reserve them, but they don't actually guarantee they will have them when you get to the counter. It's first come first serve.

Last edited:
Not true

High Mountain Passes Winter Tire Requirements

While M+S tires with 3.5 mm tread is the*minimum requirement*for winter driving in B.C. it is highly recommended that you use mountain snowflake tires and carry chains while driving high mountain passes*

You can pre pay and reserve winter tires with avis. You will get proper winter tires. Other companies offer winter tires, you can call and reserve them, but they don't actually guarantee they will have them when you get to the counter. It's first come first serve.

Good to know. Thx. At the time, I called every rental company in Calgary and had no luck.

Picked up one of these real cheap about five or six years ago and drove it through the winter.It came with chains but i never needed them.This video is of the guy I sold it to https://youtu.be/RVkFHHEPBME

Last edited:

Brand new from a dealer, sure.
But I keep an eye out during summers, and I lucked out on a set of 17" SUV Hak R8's for less than $100/tire, driven less than 10,000km.
Before that, I snagged a set of xice2's for $300 though these were driven for 2 winters.

The numbers make more sense if you're not driving massive daily round trips.. I'm less than 20km round trip, so it almost never makes sense to buy brand-spanking new.
It's much easier on the nerves when you know you won't get stuck on inclines.. even less nerve-wracking when you can pull out a few doughnuts in front of grid-locked opposing traffic.

Another fine day to salute the All seasons are just fine folks. Waved at two into the concrete median on the 407, another on the 403 and the guy with the service van that missed the ramp at Keele, dude its not your fault , you were givin' er and just ran out of skills. You almost saved it twice before committing to the buckwheat.
The tow truck guys must have been making a killing.

Back
Top Bottom