Winter Tires ... where do you get them? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Tires ... where do you get them?

Re: Winter Tires ... where do you get them?

Forum Sponsor
    If this helps anybody, Dorman has very specific product numbers for all their wheel fasteners... CT has some (maybe they can order others?), Rock Auto sells most of them as well as many other cyber stores
    2006 Honda CB919
    "Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things." -Douglas Adams

Simply Tires here too. Bit of a trek for me but don't mind. They have been good to me for years

Check Dream Tires in Burlington.

Costco has the best price for Michelins I could find.

When I need a brand that Costco doesn't carry like the Generals I put on my truck, I go to quattrotires.com and get a local shop to install.
    My other car is a reservation. Tesla Semi

Steelecase tires and mags was my go to for tires back in the day. Not sure if they carry Hakka's though.
    See you out there - 2012 HD Electra Glide

I use Consumers tire on bridgeland Ave. Great guys good prices.

I go to tire depot in barrie.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post
    Costco has the best price for Michelins I could find.

When I need a brand that Costco doesn't carry like the Generals I put on my truck, I go to quattrotires.com and get a local shop to install.
    I saw that website a few times. Great prices.

I like general altimax arctic for winter but their prices in Canada are stupid high compared to the us. Last time I got altimax winters I picked them up from tirerack hq in Denver Ordering a set through Walmart US and having them installed there might be a good option. I was considering getting the g-max for summer but way to many negative reviews.

BTW you once said on this forum to just get Michelin and you will have the best tire. Made sense so that's how I ended up with the as3.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daught; 09-29-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    BTW you once said on this forum to just get Michelin and you will have the best tire. Made sense so that's how I ended up with the as3.

Its true. We have a fleet of vehicles, I've tried all the brands, overall, year after year, Michelins were the best and longest lasting. The only reason I went with Generals on one of our vehicles, is that Michelin didn't offer the size and model we needed.

My past experiences with Generals is that they are a good value tire, but they just don't last.
    My other car is a reservation. Tesla Semi

What are some good places in the west end to have tires bought online installed? I want good balancing. I picked up my generals at the Colorado tire rack warehouse and installed them at "Discount Tire". Smoothest ride I had on the car. Costco has been terrible.

Another Winter Tire question:

Size - do you go with the suggested spec or do you drop 1 inch? I know quite a few people their cars are 17, but they do 16 for winters. what are the benefits other than 16s are cheaper than 17s, and supposed to ride a bit smoother?
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 - Current
    2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by EC2010 View Post
    Another Winter Tire question:

Size - do you go with the suggested spec or do you drop 1 inch? I know quite a few people their cars are 17, but they do 16 for winters. what are the benefits other than 16s are cheaper than 17s, and supposed to ride a bit smoother?
    I dropped to 16s 5 years ago because it's cheaper. Not sure if it affects the ride. My winter tires have a much wider sidewall which makes up for the drop.

Reduces the chance of a rim strike from all the winter pot holes.

Changes are more muted if you are comparing across tire brands and models, but if all things are equal, and you retain the tire diameter/tire pressure, downsizing will give you less rim, and a taller sidewall. That will theoretically give you a more supple ride, or give your suspension "more give".
    Trust me, I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
    Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
    --Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by MSRP View Post
    Changes are more muted if you are comparing across tire brands and models, but if all things are equal, and you retain the tire diameter/tire pressure, downsizing will give you less rim, and a taller sidewall. That will theoretically give you a more supple ride, or give your suspension "more give".
    The key thing about downsizing is the narrower tire, gives more grip in the winter or less slippage.

215-45-17
    205-55-16
    195-65-15

They all have the same rolling diameter, the 195 will perform better, and give a more softer ride, plus it's a cheaper tire.

^ only applies on on snow not pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Jayv View Post
    The key thing about downsizing is the narrower tire, gives more grip in the winter or less slippage.

215-45-17
    205-55-16
    195-65-15

They all have the same rolling diameter, the 195 will perform better, and give a more softer ride, plus it's a cheaper tire.
    Thanks Jay!

I ended up paying Simply Tire a visit yesterday after a brief phone call. Pre-ordered the tires and steelies. The experience so far has been positive. If it all goes well, I'll be getting tires from them from now on. I had been getting stuff from Costco in the past, and always a multi-step process.... have to order my own rims online, order the tires, then book the appointment, and the appointments were never on-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayv View Post

215-45-17
    205-55-16
    195-65-15

It's been a long time since I was overly concerned with rims and tires, mostly because I love my Michelin LTX tires, but iirc, when going to a smaller rim some vehicles have clearance issue with brakes and other things that I don't understand.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk
    Originally Posted by inreb

His wife would.love to tools user the tree. You know, user the tree. To tools.

Don't forget about the CC cookies in the waiting room..
    or Nino D'aversa Bakery across the street!
    Trust me, I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
    Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
    --Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by MSRP View Post
    Don't forget about the CC cookies in the waiting room..
    or Nino D'aversa Bakery across the street!
    haha, will do at my appointment! thanks