Winter Tires ... where do you get them? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Winter Tires ... where do you get them?

If this helps anybody, Dorman has very specific product numbers for all their wheel fasteners... CT has some (maybe they can order others?), Rock Auto sells most of them as well as many other cyber stores

Simply Tires here too. Bit of a trek for me but don't mind. They have been good to me for years

Costco has the best price for Michelins I could find.

When I need a brand that Costco doesn't carry like the Generals I put on my truck, I go to quattrotires.com and get a local shop to install.

Steelecase tires and mags was my go to for tires back in the day. Not sure if they carry Hakka's though.

Costco has the best price for Michelins I could find.

When I need a brand that Costco doesn't carry like the Generals I put on my truck, I go to quattrotires.com and get a local shop to install.
I saw that website a few times. Great prices.

I like general altimax arctic for winter but their prices in Canada are stupid high compared to the us. Last time I got altimax winters I picked them up from tirerack hq in Denver :) Ordering a set through Walmart US and having them installed there might be a good option. I was considering getting the g-max for summer but way to many negative reviews.

BTW you once said on this forum to just get Michelin and you will have the best tire. Made sense so that's how I ended up with the as3.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Last edited:
BTW you once said on this forum to just get Michelin and you will have the best tire. Made sense so that's how I ended up with the as3.

Its true. We have a fleet of vehicles, I've tried all the brands, overall, year after year, Michelins were the best and longest lasting. The only reason I went with Generals on one of our vehicles, is that Michelin didn't offer the size and model we needed.

My past experiences with Generals is that they are a good value tire, but they just don't last.

What are some good places in the west end to have tires bought online installed? I want good balancing. I picked up my generals at the Colorado tire rack warehouse and installed them at "Discount Tire". Smoothest ride I had on the car. Costco has been terrible.

Another Winter Tire question:

Size - do you go with the suggested spec or do you drop 1 inch? I know quite a few people their cars are 17, but they do 16 for winters. what are the benefits other than 16s are cheaper than 17s, and supposed to ride a bit smoother?

Another Winter Tire question:

Size - do you go with the suggested spec or do you drop 1 inch? I know quite a few people their cars are 17, but they do 16 for winters. what are the benefits other than 16s are cheaper than 17s, and supposed to ride a bit smoother?
I dropped to 16s 5 years ago because it's cheaper. Not sure if it affects the ride. My winter tires have a much wider sidewall which makes up for the drop.

Reduces the chance of a rim strike from all the winter pot holes.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Changes are more muted if you are comparing across tire brands and models, but if all things are equal, and you retain the tire diameter/tire pressure, downsizing will give you less rim, and a taller sidewall. That will theoretically give you a more supple ride, or give your suspension "more give".

Changes are more muted if you are comparing across tire brands and models, but if all things are equal, and you retain the tire diameter/tire pressure, downsizing will give you less rim, and a taller sidewall. That will theoretically give you a more supple ride, or give your suspension "more give".

The key thing about downsizing is the narrower tire, gives more grip in the winter or less slippage.

215-45-17
205-55-16
195-65-15

They all have the same rolling diameter, the 195 will perform better, and give a more softer ride, plus it's a cheaper tire.

The key thing about downsizing is the narrower tire, gives more grip in the winter or less slippage.

215-45-17
205-55-16
195-65-15

They all have the same rolling diameter, the 195 will perform better, and give a more softer ride, plus it's a cheaper tire.

Thanks Jay!

I ended up paying Simply Tire a visit yesterday after a brief phone call. Pre-ordered the tires and steelies. The experience so far has been positive. If it all goes well, I'll be getting tires from them from now on. I had been getting stuff from Costco in the past, and always a multi-step process.... have to order my own rims online, order the tires, then book the appointment, and the appointments were never on-time.

215-45-17
205-55-16
195-65-15

It's been a long time since I was overly concerned with rims and tires, mostly because I love my Michelin LTX tires, but iirc, when going to a smaller rim some vehicles have clearance issue with brakes and other things that I don't understand.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Don't forget about the CC cookies in the waiting room..
or Nino D'aversa Bakery across the street!

Back
Top Bottom