Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2018 Edition) | Page 29 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2018 Edition)

-7° when I left home this morning. Nice ride in...roads were dry and traffic seemed to be a bit lighter. I think people have started leaving town for the Christmas break.

..Tom

There's a healthy 5 inches of ice on the lake :wave:

Only had ~3 inches before, Dutch Lake. (central frontenac)

Only had ~3 inches before, Dutch Lake. (central frontenac)

Was hoping you would be out on Rice Lake (Near Bewdley) as they do a lot of ice racing there and I could ride over and say hello.

..Tom

That's a Huge lake! Anybody on it yet?
I was just reading the Ministry says you need like 12 inches of ice to carry snowmobiles,
:I guess they never seen those things riding on open water.

Then why did it only damage the coatings where the spray from the front wheel happens?

Probably because the guy was riding in salt and didn't know it. But the coatings will be weakened by strong cleaners. Happened to my friend's Yamaha after he used DUNK to clean it. Looked horrible after only one season.

Probably because the guy was riding in salt and didn't know it. But the coatings will be weakened by strong cleaners. Happened to my friend's Yamaha after he used DUNK to clean it. Looked horrible after only one season.

Supporting what you are saying: I mentioned before when I saw rusty spokes (I think it may have been on a different forum either Stromtrooper or ADVRider) asking if he may have used harsh cleaning chemicals. I'm in the Automotive world and a few years ago we saw a run of wheel nuts rusting badly and it was traced to harsh cleaning chemicals hurting the coatings on them.

..Tom

Beautiful day out! I didn't see any other bikes on my ride in to work but saw (from our lunch room) someone heading down HWY400 around 11:30am.

..Tom

Was hoping you would be out on Rice Lake (Near Bewdley) as they do a lot of ice racing there and I could ride over and say hello.

..Tom

That's a Huge lake! Anybody on it yet?
I was just reading the Ministry says you need like 12 inches of ice to carry snowmobiles,
:I guess they never seen those things riding on open water.

I don't know if it's frozen but if so doubt it is safe to be on it.

..Tom

5" of new clear ice is safe for a sled, so should be no problem for a dirt bike. http://lakeice.squarespace.com/bearing-strength/

It was 6 1/2" 20 feet from shore, and 8" further out on Lake Scugog near Scugog Point this morning, so I went out for about 1 1/2 hrs of hooning around. I was out twice last week too. Perfect conditions for getting it leaned over in the corners now with no snow cover.

Both Scugog and Rice Lake are quite shallow, so they freeze fairly quickly when it gets cold. That also means they thaw quickly, so definitely check ice thickness after a warm spell.

Just have to be careful on Rice Lake because of the water flowing from the Otonobe. I grew up on the south side of the lake and sometimes you can have a foot of ice on the sides and very thin ice where the current flows.

..Tom

I was going to ask about the currents on big lakes,
is deep here but there is very little in the way of river currents, water level is fairly stable.

:I was thinking of strapping a 2x4 across my :bootyshake: just for safety anyway.

Rode into work Scarborough to Downtown yesterday and today, was beautiful. Today felt like a nice crisp early fall day, ironically it's the last fall day of 2018.

Hope these mild temps continue with out the rain, if so will be riding into the new year and through winter.

Rode into work Scarborough to Downtown yesterday and today, was beautiful. Today felt like a nice crisp early fall day, ironically it's the last fall day of 2018.

Hope these mild temps continue with out the rain, if so will be riding into the new year and through winter.

It sure was nice ride this morning! I will be riding tomorrow as well. When I get home tomorrow I will be about 30 km short of 50,000 km for the year.

..Tom

It sure was nice ride this morning! I will be riding tomorrow as well. When I get home tomorrow I will be about 30 km short of 50,000 km for the year.

..Tom

Try to get that 30 K in by the end of the year..to mark 50K!

Today I rode in on my Fury which is a fuel injected bike compared to my old VTX which is a carb beast, day and night difference due to the cold temps. The VTX constantly jerks and stutters for the first half hour into the ride then slowly gets better but still not as smooth as the Fury.

Last edited:
The VTX constantly jerks and stutters for the first half hour into the ride then slowly gets better.

You should have that checked out. Mine doesn’t like the cold either but it usually smooths out within 4-5 minutes given liberal use of the choke...and I’ve ridden it below zero before.

Back
Top Bottom