Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2018 Edition) | Page 26 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2018 Edition)

So snowmobile helmets are way warmer than motorcycle helmets. It feels like I'm riding a bigger bike

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Would you park your sea-doo in the ocean? That's pretty close to riding your average Toronto street in winter and then parking the bike in a cold damp garage.

I bought my bike cheap and when it's high mileage, I'll sell it even cheaper. I would expect most riders who ride throughout the winter aren't too concerned about resale value.
Nice ride home this morning. So much nicer now that I don't freeze my fingers every time.
I'm thinking of mounting some sort of cup to hold a sponge soaked in rain-x, for that crap that dries on the face shield

I bought my bike cheap and when it's high mileage, I'll sell it even cheaper. I would expect most riders who ride throughout the winter aren't too concerned about resale value.
Nice ride home this morning. So much nicer now that I don't freeze my fingers every time.
I'm thinking of mounting some sort of cup to hold a sponge soaked in rain-x, for that crap that dries on the face shield
I think it's freaking awesome :cool:
ride well.

Tear offs.

In my tank bag I have a dry microfiber cloth and a wet microfiber cloth in a sandwich bag. Both are easy to reach and use even when riding.

..Tom

Look a couple of pages back and you'll see what a little salt/brine does to a motorcycle. Now imagine that over a period of time, where you need to unbolt and replace parts.

Yes he had issues with his bike. My 2015 V-Strom DL1000 has over 157, 000 km and has no rust on it. (It has alloy wheels so they aren't going to rust and other parts that correspond to his have no rust.)

I have seen in cars the steel wheel nuts rusting and that was often caused by aggressive cleansing solutions. I wonder if something like that could have been an issue or if the wheels just had a poor coating on the spokes.

..Tom

I saw a bike on the 10th Sideroad near Milton this morning. Thermometer in my car said -2 C.

Conditions: Slippy.

Look a couple of pages back and you'll see what a little salt/brine does to a motorcycle. Now imagine that over a period of time, where you need to unbolt and replace parts.

It's effects on a motorcycle are drastically over exaggerated. Some would believe that a motorcycle will decompose into a pile of rust inside a few months if a molecule of salt ever touches them.

Anyhow....forgot to come here and post, I got out Sunday...put around 75KM on I think before the sun started to set and temps started to drop - roads were still damp so we called it a ride at that point.

decemberride.jpg

I can confirm my bike did not dissolve into a pile of rust afterwards.

This must be why street tires are so crappy in snow. They're basically picking up a layer of ice which makes contact with the road surface
2bbfe2f34f211b7cb331dbf42b63b24c.jpg

This must be why street tires are so crappy in snow. They're basically picking up a layer of ice

The actual contact patch on a motorcycle tire, when being ridden vertically (not leaning) is actually amazingly small. Snow sticking to the actual unused part of the tire isn’t surprising.

notorcycle_tyre_tire_contact_patch.jpg

I'm tempted to go with some heidenau k66's. Either way I'll definitely avoid riding on snow. I hate replacing tires that still have some life in them.

Better then 3 inches of ice on the lake now :blob4: if anybody is looking for a place to test out your studded tires
give me a holler

I put her to sleep too soon. This weekend looks nice! I keep saying it's time for winterizing...
IMG_20181210_135151.jpg

I put her to sleep too soon. This weekend looks nice! I keep saying it's time for winterizing...

I've been doing the same thing. But between the rain, and lower temps I haven't gotten around to changing the oil.

Back
Top Bottom