Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2018 Edition) | Page 27 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2018 Edition)

I went out for a little run on Sunday. Ended up in Trenton. Nice 300 km ride. It briefly hit +1 on my ride but mainly was around-2°c.

..Tom

Look a couple of pages back and you'll see what a little salt/brine does to a motorcycle. Now imagine that over a period of time, where you need to unbolt and replace parts.

Here is a picture I took a few years ago of an older V-Strom that had never seen any ice, snow, salt or brine:

GBjof3m.jpg

Perhaps something other than salt or brine is the culprit?

..Tom

Here is a picture I took a few years ago of an older V-Strom that had never seen any ice, snow, salt or brine:

GBjof3m.jpg

..Tom

Looks like insufficient front fender, chips in the finish will expose aluminum or magnesium or whatever it was made of (& probably without first anodizing) then oxidation damage spread quickly once water gets under the paint finish.

;) Tung oil probably would have worked on that if they caught it in time.

Rain tomorrow to clear the snow and salt, then sun for the weekend! Perfect riding conditions for December! :)

8kYvMHV.png

"Perfect riding weather for December"....your nuts LOL! Only if there was a way to get some heat in the tires (even with the psi severely dropped) I'd consider it. All to you for the optimistic view of weather!
Remember 3 years ago when we had double digit weather throughout the month including xmas? I wish every December was like that :(

Only if there was a way to get some heat in the tires (even with the psi severely dropped) I'd consider it.

Ride according to conditions, simple. Contrary to popular belief riding in the cold on motorcycle tires isn't the equivalent of riding over a parking lot full of banana peels and wet leaves.

Don't accelerate and stop aggressively, and (most importantly) don't corner like a hot summer day...and you'll have zero issues.

Might get out for a run over to the forks on saturday.I'm bustin' to get any saddle time on the Duc.

Ride according to conditions, simple. Contrary to popular belief riding in the cold on motorcycle tires isn't the equivalent of riding over a parking lot full of banana peels and wet leaves.

Don't accelerate and stop aggressively, and (most importantly) don't corner like a hot summer day...and you'll have zero issues.

Neither are possible when you SS it ;)

Finally found time to get out for a bit.OMG! What an amazing bike.
PC140063_zpseoruyvld.jpg

Last edited:

GBjof3m.jpg

..Tom

If the owner was using a degreaser to clean the engine it will accelerate the damage 1000%. Do not use strong cleaners like CLR, Simple Green, or anything citrus, muriatic acid, based or even some oil based degreasers. It damages almost every component it touches and leads to hyper-corrosion. Aluminum is particularly vulnerable. Just use a mild household cleaner like Fantastik rinse with a mild car soap rinse thoroughly and wax.

Back
Top Bottom