V Strom 650 or 1000 | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

V Strom 650 or 1000

I was basing my comparison on the 2017/2018 models. And yes, they are, IMHO, pointless to compare. They are such different machines, each with their own positives and negatives.

It all comes down to the rider, and what they value as important in their decision matrix. No reason to become defensive, just stating my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand. Not being defensive.

Sent from my V-Strom 650

Well now that this is settled...

My clutch cable finally snapped after 140k and my ebay shorty levers finally gave out at the same time.
So I just replaced the clutch cable and went back to my OEM clutch lever and I'm amazed at how the bike feels. Everything is so smooth while shifting and even while maintaining a steady speed, the bike feels so much nicer.

After finally bleeding out the brakes and doing this stuff, it really rides like a new bike right now. So cheap to maintain even I can do it!

My clutch cable finally snapped after 140k and my ebay shorty levers finally gave out at the same time.
So I just replaced the clutch cable and went back to my OEM clutch lever and I'm amazed at how the bike feels. Everything is so smooth while shifting and even while maintaining a steady speed, the bike feels so much nicer.

After finally bleeding out the brakes and doing this stuff, it really rides like a new bike right now. So cheap to maintain even I can do it!

Do you attribute the change to the cable or long lever?

I'm guessing it was both, but maybe more towards the lever. The cable may have been frayed for a while, but the lever was one of those knock-off Pazzo style ones that isn't the same machining or material quality and so the hole where the cable end goes into was stretched quite a bit - almost to the point of failure.

They did look nice though and were short enough that they wouldn't break if the bike fell over. I had adjusted the clutch a while ago and expected big changes, but felt no improvement, and once I made this change, everything was right again.

I long for a new bike, maybe a 2017+ DL650, but as boring as my bike may be, it's a blast to ride.

This is what drew me to the Vstrom. I was 1" away from picking up a BMW, the owner had lost a key so I went to Madras to see about a replacement. While I was there I spoke with a few owners that were waiting to pickup their serviced bikes -- those conversations ($$$ and down time) made me walk from a sweet deal on a Bimmer. I'm still amazed at how some riders get endeared to a brand that cost them 10 cents/km to keep running. 1) I hate being stranded, 2) I hate having to repair things.

I rode an early ADV bike, Suzi TS200R, for a long time. I had 80K on her, all I ever did was brake pads, rings and powervalves at 40K -- not bad for a 2 stroke thumper. I ride all my bikes like I stole them, after a season on the Wee all she wants is new rubber. I've met a number of Wee riders, all rave about dependability and low cost of ownership.

Yup

Bought my last Wee ( 2010 ABS ) for $3k with 93k on it. Sold it for $3k with 118k on it. One battery some tires was all I spent
They are durable machines.

Watched a review of both, the reviewer mentioned that the 1000 feels like it has a slipper clutch and the 650 does not.

Watched a review of both, the reviewer mentioned that the 1000 feels like it has a slipper clutch and the 650 does not.

2014+ V-Strom DL1000 does have a slipper clutch.

Having said that the clutch on the DL650's has always been nice and light with great engagement.

..Tom

Back
Top Bottom