V Strom 650 or 1000 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

V Strom 650 or 1000

My DL650 can ride at 80mph with full luggage and 2up all da long. Hell I even led a ride this year while riding 2up and out on hours at 80mph. My fully loaded trips down to Deals Gap include around 4000km of 80mph riding each trip. Never an issue keeping up with the litre ST bikes.
And mine is a 1st gen still getting 400km/tank of regular gas.

If I was buying right now, I'd get a 2017/2018 DL650.
That's exactly what I did. I have an FJR too, while I prefer the FJR for the long hauls on pavement, and I find myself on the VStrom more, and almost exclusively for my daily ride.

I'm having no trouble hanging with my ST buddies when I take the 650 Vee -- most of the time. If the ride gets spirited, even the big ADVs are left behind.

If you are comparing V-Strom 650's and 1000's you really need to talk about the year. A DL650 of any year is a much nicer, sorted out bike compared to a stock DL1000 from 2002 to 2012. (A bit of work on the first gen DL1000's can make a huge difference!) The 2012 DL650 is a nice upgrade from the first gen DL650's but not earth shattering. A 2014+ DL1000 is a whole new bike compared to the first gen DL1000. It is much better sorted out, has more power and a broader torque range and much more usable gearing. The Brakes are Mono-block Brakes up front and are very powerful. The traction control works extremely well and the digital dash presents useful information. The suspension is much better with quality Upside Down forks up front (I forget the brand.) The only thing I am not thrilled with on the DL1000 is the hydraulic clutch actuation. The clutch itself is fine but the actuator isn't nearly as nice as a cable system.

I had two V-Strom DL650's; A 2006 and a 2012. I put 202,000+ km on the 2006 and 139,500+ km on the 2012. I did lots of higher speed cruising, loaded up, with no issues on either bike. The DL650 motor LOVES to run at higher speeds and will happily run at 140 to 150 kph all day fully loaded. The faster you go the happier that motor is (and it is happy at any speed!) It doesn't have a ton of reserve power at those speeds but I never felt wanting.

I bought my 2015 DL1000 end of July of 2015. I turned over 150,000 km this past Monday.. It is very much like the 2012 DL650 I had but with the improvements I mentioned above. The motor isn't quite as smooth but is way more powerful. For the longest time I said I wouldn't hesitate to go back to a DL650 **IF** it had the upgraded suspension and brakes the DL1000 has. I don't know if it is true now as I think I have been seduced by the instant torque and power of the bigger motor.

You can't go wrong with any of them but my order of desirability would be:

2014+ DL1000 I haven't tried the 2018+ change bu am sure it is nicer than my 2015)
2017+DL650
2012+ DL650
First gen DL650
First Gen DL1000

..Tom

Last edited:
I did lots of higher speed cruising, loaded up, with no issues on either bike...
..Tom
I'm with you on most of this, I just can't see myself touring big miles on an ADV. For me, that's work better done by an ST.

I'm with you on most of this, I just can't see myself touring big miles on an ADV. For me, that's work better done by an ST.

The upright seating position of ADV bikes are what appeals to me the most and make them great touring bikes, at least for me. I guess it depends on your physical build and what you like and thankfully there are choices!

In Jan of 2012, before my wife had her bike license and her own bike, we spent a week and 2,000 km/1,200 miles riding in California and Arizona on a rented Honda ST1300. Brilliant bike! Very fast! Wheelie machine! Great for lane splitting on California HWY 405 and for going very fast on Route 66 and getting the attention of a Cali State Trooper. :) . When pushing it around parking lots I certainly was aware of the weight of it (very top-heavy compared to my 2006 DL650) and the riding position seemed aimed for smaller people (I'm 6'2".) To me it very much was a Sport-Touring bike with emphasis on Sport. [I am not sure but I think it also had a lot of engine heat but quite possible I may be mixing it up with another bike another time.]

I know a lot of things are what you are used to but I honestly couldn't wait to get back to my 2006 DL650 that had a bit over the 202,000 km at the time (and I was going to pick up my new 2012 DL650 in March.) It wasn't that the Strom was better at anything, just that I didn't have to think about the bike, I just rode it and forgot about the bike.

..Tom

I swapped bikes with a buddy last week and got to ride the 650 for about 50km of tight twisties and some back roads in Thailand. The bike is very smooth and effortless to ride. Its very comfortable as well. Only problem is that it was so dull and boring to ride. It is not exciting at all, I may as well be driving a car.

The upright seating position of ADV bikes are what appeals to me the most and make them great touring bikes, at least for me. I guess it depends on your physical build and what you like and thankfully there are choices!

In Jan of 2012, before my wife had her bike license and her own bike, we spent a week and 2,000 km/1,200 miles riding in California and Arizona on a rented Honda ST1300. Brilliant bike! Very fast! Wheelie machine! Great for lane splitting on California HWY 405 and for going very fast on Route 66 and getting the attention of a Cali State Trooper. :) . When pushing it around parking lots I certainly was aware of the weight of it (very top-heavy compared to my 2006 DL650) and the riding position seemed aimed for smaller people (I'm 6'2".) To me it very much was a Sport-Touring bike with emphasis on Sport. [I am not sure but I think it also had a lot of engine heat but quite possible I may be mixing it up with another bike another time.]

I know a lot of things are what you are used to but I honestly couldn't wait to get back to my 2006 DL650 that had a bit over the 202,000 km at the time (and I was going to pick up my new 2012 DL650 in March.) It wasn't that the Strom was better at anything, just that I didn't have to think about the bike, I just rode it and forgot about the bike.

..Tom
I think you'll find STs and ADVs are the same upright for most riders, my Vee is 90 degrees, my FJR 89degrees. The ST advantages on big mile runs are:

• Hip and knee ergos. At 5'9" even I feel a bit 'stuffed' into an ADV -- feet and knees higher, knees wider apart to clear tank
  • Element protection doesn't compare, big advantages to STs in rain and windy conditions
  • Suspension and seat comfort
  • At hand power - nothing beats the at hand power of a 4cyl ST.

ADVs are closing the gap however they aren't IMHO not - kinda like Swiss Army knife -- good at a lot of things!

The 650 is the hands down better bike unless you have a passenger ALL the time. Even my buddy with a 1000 wishes he'd bought the 650 instead as his Wife is tiny and doesn't ride with him too often. The 650 has more than enough power to run at 120km/h all day long and pass anything with the flick of a wrist. Plus, you get the fuel economy of the 650 so you can go further between stops (a buddy recently went over 400km on a tank on some back roads) and you pay way less insurance.

I like your dedication to the 650. I was going to get the 650, but the better brakes, suspension, and slightly more powerful motor tipped the scales for me. At my weight of 150lbs and 5’6” 29” inseam, the Wee would have worked nicely, but for the reasons mentioned, and I know if I got the 650 I would always be thinking “I should have bought the 1000”. The 650 and 1000 are two very different machines. It is really pointless comparing them. The motor size is not the only variable different. For the record I bought the Suzuki low seat ($200CDN), and can almost flat foot with bare feet, and full flat foot with my Milwaukee Trooper boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think you'll find STs and ADVs are the same upright for most riders, my Vee is 90 degrees, my FJR 89degrees. The ST advantages on big mile runs are:

• Hip and knee ergos. At 5'9" even I feel a bit 'stuffed' into an ADV -- feet and knees higher, knees wider apart to clear tank
  • Element protection doesn't compare, big advantages to STs in rain and windy conditions
  • Suspension and seat comfort
  • At hand power - nothing beats the at hand power of a 4cyl ST.

ADVs are closing the gap however they aren't IMHO not - kinda like Swiss Army knife -- good at a lot of things!

I agree with you about adventure bikes. They are just kind of universal bikes that let you do whatever you want. I think that is the main appeal to me.

BTW I was speaking specifically about the Honda ST1300. I found it much heavier and much lower than any Strom (or other Adventure Bike.) It is the only Sport Touring bike I have ridden for any length of time. (I don't consider Gold Wings, as fast and amazing as they are, to be *Sport* touring bikes. I'm sure an FJR, BMW RT, or one of many other bikes specifically aimed at Sport Touring would be great touring bikes. (I know my older brother loves his RT but he didn't sell his old 2006 DL650 and still loves riding it.) I just don't like to be limited to one type of riding.

I just want to ride.

..Tom

I like your dedication to the 650. I was going to get the 650, but the better brakes, suspension, and slightly more powerful motor tipped the scales for me. At my weight of 150lbs and 5’6” 29” inseam, the Wee would have worked nicely, but for the reasons mentioned, and I know if I got the 650 I would always be thinking “I should have bought the 1000”. The 650 and 1000 are two very different machines. It is really pointless comparing them.

Pointless to compare? Have you even ridden a DL650? You seem to be comparing a ferrari with a volkswagen. I am 220lb, 6'1 and my 16' DL650 stops on a dime, accelerates and goes FAST. I even took on a 190lbs passenger and no issues whatsoever. Just read up http://www.jackphelps.com/vstrom/comparison.htm

Pointless to compare? Have you even ridden a DL650? You seem to be comparing a ferrari with a volkswagen. I am 220lb, 6'1 and my 16' DL650 stops on a dime, accelerates and goes FAST. I even took on a 190lbs passenger and no issues whatsoever. Just read up http://www.jackphelps.com/vstrom/comparison.htm

Have you ridden 1000? The tone of your response seems like you are butthurt that somebody liked another bike more than yours. Nobody has said the 650 sucks, just that they are a very different animal. In onterrible, I have absolutely zero interest in a 650 but would enjoy a 1000. If I wanted to shoot the darien gap, between the two, without a doubt I would pick the 650. In my experience, the 650 really did feel like an air-cooled vw, it just had no kick. Sure it could ultimately get going quickly but without a sense of urgency.

Just to be clear, neither stops on a dime or goes FAST. They are adventure bikes, they are beyond competent but far from a road weapon.

Again, there is no wrong choice, just different strokes for different folks. Almost any bike >250cc can get going fast enough to lose your license. Ultimately most of it comes down to a tradeoff between fuel economy/weight and thrust.

Last edited:
Have you ridden 1000? The tone of your response seems like you are butthurt that somebody liked another bike more than yours. Nobody has said the 650 sucks, just that they are a very different animal. In onterrible, I have absolutely zero interest in a 650 but would enjoy a 1000. If I wanted to shoot the darien gap, between the two, without a doubt I would pick the 650.
Huh? Butthurt? No, you misread my whole argument. The comment I quoted simply stated that the 650 was inferior in all aspects, I simply pointed out that it wasn't the case. They are not "a very different animal", they are actually quite similar.

Differences are minor given that I have ridden both, and note that my 650 runs a little out of breath in rapid acceleration above 120 in 6th, but could likely be cured by downshifting to 5th. Anything that can do 0-100 in 4.25 seconds like the DL650 is fast enough for me thanks.

I agree with what you say that the DL650 is a great bike and is amizingly capable.

I do want to point out that the comparison article in your link is about 12 years old. The DL650 has undergone some nice improvements in that time, the DL1000 is a whole new bike. Unless you are comparing first generation V-Stroms it's pretty meaningless today. While any DL650 was a better bike (in my opinion) than a (Stock) first gen DL1000, it isn't necessarily true today. That doesn't take away from how good the DL650 is, it just means the DL1000 is a very good Adventure bike today.

..Tom

I agree with what you say that the DL650 is a great bike and is amizingly capable.

I do want to point out that the comparison article in your link is about 12 years old. The DL650 has undergone some nice improvements in that time, the DL1000 is a whole new bike. Unless you are comparing first generation V-Stroms it's pretty meaningless today. While any DL650 was a better bike (in my opinion) than a (Stock) first gen DL1000, it isn't necessarily true today. That doesn't take away from how good the DL650 is, it just means the DL1000 is a very good Adventure bike today.

..Tom
Yes, you are correct. I did read this https://www.revzilla.com/common-tre...uki-v-strom-1000-first-ride-motorcycle-review which picks the 650, and if one wanted the 1000, they were better off with another litre adventure bike. Anyways, I guess if you are loyal to Suzuki and money isn't an issue, the DL1000 is the one to with.

Yes, you are correct. I did read this https://www.revzilla.com/common-tre...uki-v-strom-1000-first-ride-motorcycle-review which picks the 650, and if one wanted the 1000, they were better off with another litre adventure bike. Anyways, I guess if you are loyal to Suzuki and money isn't an issue, the DL1000 is the one to with.

There was recent comparison of the DL100 and other higher end Adventure bikes. It didn't win any category but did very well with some of the testers saying it was their preferred bike.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2018-big-bore-adventure-touring-shootout-part-1-street

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2018-big-bore-adventure-touring-shootout-part-2-dirt

I don't think anyone needs to apologize for riding a newer generation DL1000.

..Tom

Last edited:
There was recent comparison of the DL100 and other higher end Adventure bikes. It didn't win any category but did very well with some of the testers saying it was their preferred bike.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2018-big-bore-adventure-touring-shootout-part-1-street

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2018-big-bore-adventure-touring-shootout-part-2-dirt

I don't think anyone need to apologize for riding a newer generation DL1000.

..Tom
Cool thanks!

Sent from my V-Strom 650

I was basing my comparison on the 2017/2018 models. And yes, they are, IMHO, pointless to compare. They are such different machines, each with their own positives and negatives.

It all comes down to the rider, and what they value as important in their decision matrix. No reason to become defensive, just stating my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom