V Strom 650 or 1000 | GTAMotorcycle.com

V Strom 650 or 1000

Moff

I like both but the 650 maybe more preferable according to ride reports and of course the cost. I personally would go with a 650 if I never ride 2 up. Great all rounders!

1000 for longer days in inclement weather or 2 up
no substitute for weight and HP on a shytty day

I took a 650 for a test ride thinking I would like it and was entirely underwhelmed. I like toys to have enough power to get my heart pounding and it didn't. That's my opinion though and certainly many many people enjoy the 650 and it should be a more enjoyable steed off road than a 1000cc pig.

650. It can carry more weight. I've never had a problem with acceleration.

I went on a trip a few years ago with both a 650 and a 1000 vstroms. We were down in the states on the way to Deal’s Gap and for time’s sake we had to hit I81. The 650 had a real struggle not getting run over by the semis going downhill at 80 mph. The 1000 no problems. Just something to consider.

The 650 had a real struggle not getting run over by the semis going downhill at 80 mph.

sounds more like a timid rider than anything else -

He is cruising over 100 mph here 170-180 kph indicated.
[video=youtube;t4k29hIp3nA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4k29hIp3nA[/video]

two up uphill heavily loaded - the 1000 is useful.
The 650 is no thrill machine

I took a 650 for a test ride thinking I would like it and was entirely underwhelmed. I like toys to have enough power to get my heart pounding and it didn't. That's my opinion though and certainly many many people enjoy the 650 and it should be a more enjoyable steed off road than a 1000cc pig.
I can see being underwhelmed by a 650 when you're coming off a Caponord.

When I was shopping for an ADV, I tested a few big ADVs - DL1000, Super10, Capo and MultiS hoping for the one-size fits all that would replace my ST and give me some ADV too. Like you, I was underwhelmed by the performance and element protection of these bikes - no way are they hanging with the STs.

I decided on the smaller DL650 because it ticked all the boxes for an ADV. Sure you're gonna be a few length behind the l+ bikes in a drag race, but is that what you're doing? I like the Wee because it's comfortable in the city

For me it came down to what I plan to do with the bike. When I'm running at speeds that need a litre bike, I'm not interested in doing that on an ADV - that's what STs are for.

I bought the DL650x because it fits the ADV needs for me. It's happy cruising at 140 all day, doesn't generate a billion BTUs in city traffic, easy on fuel, and it's not going to Impact Auto auction if I tip her over in the dirt. Throttle response doesn't compare it to the Busa I traded for her, but she's no slouch either -- the litre ADV riders I've run with this summer aren't leaving me behind.

I went on a trip a few years ago with both a 650 and a 1000 vstroms. We were down in the states on the way to Deal’s Gap and for time’s sake we had to hit I81. The 650 had a real struggle not getting run over by the semis going downhill at 80 mph. The 1000 no problems. Just something to consider.
This is a rider problem.

My '17 Wee pulls 80mph in 3rd gear with my 200lb frame on her. She pulls till 180kmh in 5th before she starts to peter out -- I figure 6th gear might get me to 200 -- never tried.

If you ride 2up, spend a lot of time on a highway and need a better suspension, I would suggest 1000.

My DL650 can ride at 80mph with full luggage and 2up all da long. Hell I even led a ride this year while riding 2up and out on hours at 80mph. My fully loaded trips down to Deals Gap include around 4000km of 80mph riding each trip. Never an issue keeping up with the litre ST bikes.
And mine is a 1st gen still getting 400km/tank of regular gas.

If I was buying right now, I'd get a 2017/2018 DL650.

650cc with ~75HP is technically more than anyone would need for riding on public roads.

But if you rode the 1000 right after the 650 I suspect you'd really appreciate the effortless torque the extra displacement imparts to the bike. Try both if you can and see which you'd prefer to have in your garage.

My 650 could run 85mph all day long loaded up with 100+lbs of luggage. It did get a bit wheezy when loaded up at higher speeds, but unless you have a massive headwind, it's not overworking itself.

If I didn't constantly ride around with an obnoxious amount of luggage, the 650 was fine and some good fun.

I do a lot of touring with the above mentioned stupid amount of luggage so wanted something better suited for it. My Super Tenere is big, heavy, and much better suited to long highway miles with luggage. No clue how it compares to the Strom 1000.

Last edited:
My 650 could run 85mph all day long loaded up with 100+lbs of luggage. It does get a bit wheezy when loaded up at higher speeds, but unless you have a massive headwing, it's not overworking itself. If I didn't constantly ride around with an obnoxious amount of luggage, the 650 was fine and some good fun. I do a lot of touring with the above mentioned stupid amount of luggage so wanted something better suited for it. My Super Tenere is big, heavy, and much better suited to long highway miles with luggage. No clue how it compares to the Strom 1000.
How much weight can the Super Tenere carry in the specifications? I've had 1100 cc bikes that had a 350 pound (160 kg) limit, including rider and passenger.

How much weight can the Super Tenere carry in the specifications? I've had 1100 cc bikes that had a 350 pound (160 kg) limit, including rider and passenger.

Google says it's 470lbs

The 650 is the hands down better bike unless you have a passenger ALL the time. Even my buddy with a 1000 wishes he'd bought the 650 instead as his Wife is tiny and doesn't ride with him too often. The 650 has more than enough power to run at 120km/h all day long and pass anything with the flick of a wrist. Plus, you get the fuel economy of the 650 so you can go further between stops (a buddy recently went over 400km on a tank on some back roads) and you pay way less insurance.

How's the 650 for a shorter rider? 5'7 with a 29" inseam? I've always liked them but once again...for some reason I worry about the height of the thing even though I'm fairly comfortable riding by now. Plus still haven't decided and looking at bikes is super fun anyway.

Personally I would go with the 1000. While the 650 can do any speed no problem I find the larger engines just feel better at highway speed. I have ridden some 650 GS's as loaners when my bike was getting service, never an issue on the 401 needing to pass, they are peppy but I did instantly miss the smoothness and ready power of my 1200. I would imagine it would be similar with the V-strom. Can't go wrong with either really, they are solid bikes with a great reputation.

Back
Top Bottom