Heat shield for wire ideas | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heat shield for wire ideas

Shwarider

I have a thin (maybe 20 gauge) wire which is very close to my exhaust pipe. Worried about it melting... it cannot be re reputed. Any ideas what I can use to cover this to protect? I went to an automotive performance store they these rolls of tape but it’s $75 a roll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asbestos :D
... oh wait, that stuff is frowned upon in this century. Glass fibre is the closest substitute I can think of, if in doubt, hit it with a propane torch first to test ;)

High heat shirink tubing is an option.But you would have to buy 3 ft of it.

A pic would be helpful.

If you're able to detach the wire I'd slide some silicone tubing over it. If not, then you can wrap it with adhesive-backed heat barrier.

Take a pic and also what is the wire for?
You certain it can’t be re-routed?

Sorry for the late reply guys
The wire is for a fender eliminator led light. Essentially a plate light. I already stuck it on the plate with the double sided “gorilla tape” it came with

Here is a photo. The end tip of the wires is currently loose and not connected to anything so in theory I could slide something over it

I am also going to hopefully get some clearance (about half inch) by using washers to move the whole plate mount down a little. But I would still like to shield those wires

cfdbc4910b7cb880e7de6449ace2f2ff.jpeg

If you're gonna mount the plate illegally, why even bother with the light

If the plate is where I think it is, I am with kestrel. I wouldn't bother with the light as it wont help you avoid a ticket.

HVAC metal foil tape may work to reflect-heat/insulate somewhat. Available at Home Depot or Lowe’s in the heating/ducts section.

But I also concur with the previous responses about it not being worth the effort for that location.

I would recommend you cut the 2-sided tape and reposition the little light.

;) and for goodness sakes get rid of the rust, motorcycles are not suppose to rust, that's a car thing. Also interesting to see all the negative responses to the tail tidy, I thought I was the only one who feels it's a terrible modification, highly advise you keep all the OEM brackets for the next owner or once you figure out it's not a great idea. Now you don't even have a good place to mount a rear facing camera.

If the plate is where I think it is, I am with kestrel. I wouldn't bother with the light as it wont help you avoid a ticket.

The plate it very visible, yes I may get a ticket but I have another on a similar bike which I have had no issues with in 4 years. I mean if I do get a ticket or a warning then yes I will replace it

I would recommend you cut the 2-sided tape and reposition the little light.

;) and for goodness sakes get rid of the rust, motorcycles are not suppose to rust, that's a car thing. Also interesting to see all the negative responses to the tail tidy, I thought I was the only one who feels it's a terrible modification, highly advise you keep all the OEM brackets for the next owner or once you figure out it's not a great idea. Now you don't even have a good place to mount a rear facing camera.

The bike came with the rust. I picked it up off a friend. :)

I am worried I will break the plastic bracket that holds the double sided tape while trying to remove

You mean put the roxul in the tinfoil and wrap around?

That's the theory. Given your application, you probably want a better looking solution.

I have a plastic fuel filter just above the headers in a car. With about a 2" gap and wrapped in tinfoil I never have any problems. Obviously when the headers are the hottest, the liquid cooling is also the highest so it is not directly comparable to your problem.

Back
Top Bottom