Dealer comment synthetic - regular oil | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dealer comment synthetic - regular oil

Hawk

At the Honda dealer today picking up an oil filter for my bike and I hear a conversation next to me. The customer wanted an oil change for his bike. Service person asks regular oil or synthetic. Guy said he doesn't know what was used last. Service person says “once you've used synthetic you can't go back to regular oil” Am I missing something or was this all BS from the dealer?

At the Honda dealer today picking up an oil filter for my bike and I hear a conversation next to me. The customer wanted an oil change for his bike. Service person asks regular oil or synthetic. Guy said he doesn't know what was used last. Service person says “once you've used synthetic you can't go back to regular oil” Am I missing something or was this all BS from the dealer?
"Once you've paid us a premium once, you should always continue to do so" is what I got from that.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

The service person isn't usually a mechanic or necessarily qualified to do anything other than make appointments and sell stuff.

Some are very experienced and have good advice to give. Others would sell their grandma for the right price. Kind of like getting your information from gtam.

That said, I call BS on having to use synthetic always once it's been used once. I'm not going to research the info on it to back up my claim, but I believe there's legitimate information out there on this subject.

I use rotella t5, t6, whatever I find on sale

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

I seem to recall back in the 1970s the same claim being made. It may have had something to do with the synth or its additives causing rubber seals of the time to swell and become more prone to leaking if non-synth were used. This was 40 years ago and so a little foggy but that's what I recall. If there was any truth to that it's safe to say that modern seal materials don't react the way so I don't think there's any reason you can't use any oil, synth or dino, as long as it's JASO MA/MA2.

I personally have never put synth oil in any motor that I have owned.

Let’s say if I did, and it caused issues with clutch slippage or what not, I would be flushing the synth out and switching back to regular oil.

I think it’s BS too. More than likely they don’t want you switching back and forth between dyno oil and synth...choose one and stick with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"service person" was blowing smoke. You can switch back and forth all you want - if you are willing to spend the extra for synthetic (assuming it's a POA or POE) then it is a better oil (longer lasting) than the regular stuff. The only real concern with playing around with different oils is, making sure there are no "friction modifiers" in it, if your bike has a "shared sump" - and stick to the viscosity the manufacturer recommends.

Guess he never heard of semi-synthetic oil blends.
It's a given that you should not mix oils given the possibility to cause some evil chemistry, but if you are doing a drain and replace the filter (like I did about 10 minutes ago) can't see the danger.

Full synthetics are a bit of a con, they sell it to you on the basis that it lasts longer and then insist you stick with the same oil change intervals.

^^

The allure of using synthetic is that you get a more consistent, "stable" product able to handle the stress, viscosity breakdown, and heat better than a conventional oil which will supposedly be better over the life of the oil. ...or so what the bottle would have you believe.

The rule of changing oil every 5000km is old school mentality that has stuck around since the days gone by.

My Jeep comes with dino oil from the factory, has an oil change interval of 16,000km and they recommend to change the filter every 2 oil changes.

...I still change it every 6000km because I like to, and it makes me happy to tinker on my toys.

We were due for an oil thread, I'll pull up my chair right now.

He He. Good one. Perhaps you can tell me what bike to buy. Where can I find blinker fluid? What shall I do with my bike in the Winter. Where shall I put it.
What colour should I get? I hear red bikes and cars get more tickets.
What is this ting you call "Google" You say this has been discussed before. I can`t be bothered to look.
If I ride at night is it true that elephants can be found climbing trees near Creemore.
Can I put flashing red lights on the front of my bike?
If I hit a tree can I sue the owners of the land?

Don't buy any blinker fluid.
I have some left over from last years winterizing I can give you.
What weight do you need?

Dealer is clueless and shouldn't be giving out advice to anyone.

End of thread.

Don't buy any blinker fluid.
I have some left over from last years winterizing I can give you.
What weight do you need?

Do you have it with a blink rate of 60 bpm with a lighting rate of 20 per minute. Last one I bought was way too slow. Was OK for Winter use, way too slow in Summer. Nearly got a ticket for a slow blinking rate. Po Po was nice to me, let me have some of hers. Was blinking nice of her. Weight ratio of 90 sae. Diluted it with water, Worked fine. Thanks. We could meet at Timmies and we can stand around all day talking about how wonderful we are and make loud revving noises. Sorry if I don`t seem to have a sense of humour but I lost my colour on the bike. It just fell off. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom