Hayabusa on M2. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hayabusa on M2.

It’s not bogus and stupid....it’s restricting newer riders to bikes liable to cost the insurers less and it has the knock on effect of making you ride a smaller machine long enough to acquire the skills you might benefit from on a larger more powerful bike.

It’s not bogus and stupid....it’s restricting newer riders to bikes liable to cost the insurers less and it has the knock on effect of making you ride a smaller machine long enough to acquire the skills you might benefit from on a larger more powerful bike.

Roger, that's why I said we can't do much about it.

Yep I got my M2 just this Month. getting M would be 18 months from now that's like 10 more years for me. The Broker was pestering me to go for Z650/fz07 but I won't. The only reason I got my motorcycle licence in Canada was to upgrade from whatever I was riding back in India. I was totally unaware of the Insurance Goons here. They are the real dream killer. Yeah.. Yeah.... I know they'll spend money to fix me in case of accidents and all but still 4k on a 10k motocycle it's completely bogus and stupid. The insurance cost will out-run the cost of the bike in 2.5 years.

And there isn't much we can do.

:D welcome to Canada eh.
... the problem you have is the same as a 16 year old who has been riding since the age of 4, you have lots of riding and survival experience but in the eyes of the insurance underwriters that means nothing.

:confused: if an fz07 is not upgrade for you, what did you ride in India?

:confused: if an fz07 is not upgrade for you, what did you ride in India?

I'm interested in knowing this too.

Naked 650s have a lot of torque and should be a significant upgrade coming from a 250-400cc motorcycle, unless OP was riding more powerful bikes in India. I rode one for 2 years before I got bored and got the itch to upgrade.

Last edited:
Duke 200 / Avenger 220- stop before you bully me. I could easily hit 120kmph on these -upgrade doesn’t only mean on paper. I don’t like FZ07, simply put. And my friends have Z650 back in India so there is no chance I will get that.

IMG_0882.JPGIMG_0883.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Duke 200 / Avenger 220- stop before you bully me. I could easily hit 120kmph on these -upgrade doesn’t only mean on paper. I don’t like FZ07, simply put. And my friends have Z650 back in India so there is no chance I will get that.

View attachment 39548View attachment 39549

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

As someone who went R3>FZ09>Grom, it's completely reshaped my belief that bigger is an 'upgrade'.

Not wanting a particular model makes sense. Jumping from 200 to Hayabusa is a bit extreme.

My point is, you may find a fun 'upgrade' where you arent currently looking.

As someone who went R3>FZ09>Grom, it's completely reshaped my belief that bigger is an 'upgrade'.

Not wanting a particular model makes sense. Jumping from 200 to Hayabusa is a bit extreme.

My point is, you may find a fun 'upgrade' where you arent currently looking.

I understand 200>Hayabusa will never be a good Idea. I was just wondering about premium on it on M2 never considered it as an option.
I actually didn't put the word right, didn't mean to say upgrade. Back in India, the MSRP of higher CC motorcycles are more compared to middle class income and the Insurance is not a big part of it. What I am still trying to digest here in Canada is that now I can afford a higher CC motorcycles but these Insurance Variables won't let me.

I understand 200>Hayabusa will never be a good Idea. I was just wondering about premium on it on M2 never considered it as an option.
I actually didn't put the word right, didn't mean to say upgrade. Back in India, the MSRP of higher CC motorcycles are more compared to middle class income and the Insurance is not a big part of it. What I am still trying to digest here in Canada is that now I can afford a higher CC motorcycles but these Insurance Variables won't let me.

The insurance variable is one of the most prominent reasons they're so "available" used.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Insurance cost isn't really a Canada issue, rather an Ontario issue.

In AB/BC/QC it's pretty hard to find any sub-500cc sport bikes because insurance rates are actually affordable there.

Could get your dream bike if you were to move there ;)

Yaaaa, I just got a call from my insurance broker minutes ago, they are signing me up for 680$ on my K100RS
... you won't get that rate :mrgreen:

& Isn't it sad when you can be happy about a 680$ bill that only represents the occasional use of 1 motorcycle!

Well even when you turn 30, Hayabusa isn't cheap on insurance. I just ran a quote with TD, out of curiosity. Age 30, full M, 2 years insurance history gave me $3k / yr standalone for the Busa. Bundling car/house gives me around $2700 / yr. I've held an M2 for almost 6 years now. M for 2 years.

If higher cc is the only metric you care about, maybe get a big cruiser.

Edit: AFAIK, insurance is expensive in Canada, especially for those without experience, because of the liability factor ($1M, $2M), in the event you hit and injure someone. Sport bikes have a poor reputation in the GTA, and have an automatically added premium attached to the quotes, on top.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in India liability coverage is not a factor and not required by law. That's why it's probably cheaper.

Last edited:
Insurance cost isn't really a Canada issue, rather an Ontario issue.

In AB/BC/QC it's pretty hard to find any sub-500cc sport bikes because insurance rates are actually affordable there.

Could get your dream bike if you were to move there ;)

If I could convince my fiancee to move back to BC I'd be gone in a heartbeat. Hell, I can technically work from anywhere...

Chances of a guy in a “Corolla”(edited from Mustang) hitting and injuring someone is way more than a guy on R6. The only thing we injure is ourselves and the Bike.

There are third Party Liabilities in India as well.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Last edited:
Chances of a guy in a Mustang hitting and injuring someone is way more than a guy on R6. The only thing we injure is ourselves and the Bike.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Well, actuaries clearly think R6 is more dangerous to the public and the rider.

Anyway, like they say "gotta pay to play". Only options are to either pony up the premium, or move to another province as suggested by someone earlier, or get something smaller for now and upgrade after 30.

I chose the last option.

This season 2018,I paid $500.00 a year for liability only. 2004 Hayabusa.

But I'm old, female, and have been riding a long time. Full m. Clean record. Btw, when I was checking rates fora er650n and a triumph street triple r, the triumph was cheaper than the kawi. I bought the stripple r.

Seeme like every Online Insurance Quote are fake - First they will make you fill tons of details and at last they'll say OOOPS....****ing Business.

Yup seems each insurance company or group has there own online “get the best quote” marketed website which gives you a basic number to work from but no details until you call them.

Sent from the Moon!

Chances of a guy in a “Corolla”(edited from Mustang) hitting and injuring someone is way more than a guy on R6. The only thing we injure is ourselves and the Bike.

Sry, half-loaded (T-giving wine...) while typing this; could be off base.

Check your quote(s). Usually, the SABs (statutory accident benefits) make up the majority of the cost of the premium. Insurance companies know what you're talking about; they also know that the sort of injuries that motorcyclists endure are the type that require long-term rehab and care.

... the sort of injuries that motorcyclists endure are the type that require long-term rehab and care.
What type of injuries are they talking about, any examples to offer?

Back
Top Bottom