Wynne is still punishing us... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wynne is still punishing us...

If you think that the average Canadian has enough income to max out RRSP's and TFSA's ....good luck. You saying that someone who lives on 40k a year doesn't work hard and doesn't live a frugal lifestyle? It is a vehicle for the rich.

Why is someone only making $40K a year. That's why I mentioned education.

Huh? Have you seen how convoluted the job market is/has been?

Education is not an instant "pass go, collect 50k/yr".

There could be all kinds of reasons why someone is making 40K
Just starting out in a career
Too busy making that 40K to find better work or upgrade skills
Has to pay off debt
Who knows, education is no guarantee for better income.

There are quite a few Baristas that have 4yrs Uni, and make me an Americano every morning. And I don't often talk to fine art majors but when I do I always say , yeah baby I'll biggie those fries.
Now i will give you that a post secondary education proves that you can focus and learn , and may help teach you to think differently, but its not an out of the box win, it will get you to an interview if that's the line in the sand.

There are a lot of people living close to the line, and its not always their fault.

Education includes common sense. Don't trust your mother when she says you're the most talented singer / artist in the world. If you go to Uni or college to get a cool job you'll end up competing with thousands of other wanting the same cool job.

A buddy had $10K on his credit cards five years ago and paid them off in about three years while making well under $40K. Think like an immigrant.

Education includes common sense. Don't trust your mother when she says you're the most talented singer / artist in the world. If you go to Uni or college to get a cool job you'll end up competing with thousands of other wanting the same cool job.

A buddy had $10K on his credit cards five years ago and paid them off in about three years while making well under $40K. Think like an immigrant.

Did your buddy also max out his RRSP's and TFSA then?? How is his education serving him?

He's working on it. His education includes the common sense to not buy a motorcycle.

BTW this is a motorcycle forum. If things are tight I suggest a cheaper hobby.

Education includes common sense..

Education does not include common sense. There is no University program that fosters common sense. Community college at least has some grounding in reality of the workplace, but they will tell you you'll get the deed to a unicorn ranch after completing thier program,

Common sense is not so common and I'm not sure it can be taught.

He's working on it. His education includes the common sense to not buy a motorcycle.

BTW maybe you should get your answers straight.
And no one here said anything about being tight and not being able to afford a motorcycle.

Sent from the moon!

Education does not include common sense. There is no University program that fosters common sense. Community college at least has some grounding in reality of the workplace, but they will tell you you'll get the deed to a unicorn ranch after completing thier program,

In my books anything I was taught is education. Most people driving cars have a piece of paper saying they're competent. Most aren't. A lot of Uni degree holders are similar.

Brain washing isn't teaching. A lot of mommy's got it wrong when they told their offspring the world would look after them.

Common sense is a problem with people that are learning impaired, a spectrum disorder. Others are too lazy to think. Mommy said someone would do it for them.

BTW maybe you should get your answers straight.
And no one here said anything about being tight and not being able to afford a motorcycle.

Sent from the moon!

I'm glad to hear everyone on the site has their RRSPs and TFSA's topped up.

I'm glad to hear everyone on the site has their RRSPs and TFSA's topped up.

Again... get your answers straight.
You must be a magician because you are good at misdirection.

TFSA was created by Harper to give a bigger tax break to rich people. Maxed out your RRSP's? Now you can have another revenue stream with no tax at the end!

I still have one at CIBC. Plug your numbers in here... https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-banking/investments/investment-calculators/tfsa.html

The calculator only does to 12 % but even at that rate the difference on $5k between a taxable account and a TFSA is still mouse nuts. Its starts getting interesting when your making triple digit returns, but how many people can do that and if you could there are better vehicles.

The other option is just become a Sovereign Citizen and don't pay at all.... LOL. Freemen of the land unite!!!

As long as the Gov't doesnt start to play around with TFSA accounts, for those of us late to the game its a decent tax shuffle and better than paying more tax, for my kids it could be a game changer, the longer a window is open the more can flow through.

Nor does it include work ethic or sense of duty. These, IMHO, are fundamental requirements for success in just about anything. You will find successful people without degrees, you won't find successful grads without work ethic.

you won't find successful grads without work ethic.

You'll find a few that got gifted jobs from parents or family friends, but their kids do terribly because they think you can get loaded by cruising. Very rarely do the charity jobs extend more than one generation.

Again... get your answers straight.
You must be a magician because you are good at misdirection.

Sorry. I forgot the sarcasm font. The point is that anyone can do whatever they want. Just don't whine about how tough life is when you haven't been financially realistic.

A few years back McD's had a "You deserve a break today" campaign. What for? Getting out of bed and taking a crap??

If you cured cancer you deserve something but I would hope a Nobel prize, not a cheeseburger.

There is a downside to being prudent. You trade off fun for stability and sometimes you regret the things you didn't do.

My gripe is that the government will eventually go after the savings and investments of responsible people to fund housing and care for those that have blown everything.

That is an interesting thought. Can a person be taught to learn. Not every brain is created equal.

If you think of the brain as a sponge not all sponges are the same size and capable of absorbing the same amount. Different sponges absorb different things. Some people are very good at math but useless at mechanics.

You can't, using normal methods, teach an autistic child to behave like the other kids. You can't beat it out of them.

No amount of forced reading will help a dyslexic.

Dyslexia and autism are spectrum conditions and those with lesser problems will respond more easily to appropriate treatment. Those with minor conditions might seem normal in most situations, only screwing up under stress for example.

If a person heads to a bar on his bike knowing it always turns into a booze fest and he doesn't make any arrangement for alternate transportation home there isn't any future thought involved. Heading home he crashes the bike while DUI and he is injured, loses his license and job as a truck driver, loses his home can't afford insurance when his license is reinstated.

How would you get a person to think about the consequences? The advertising hasn't stopped the problem.

Are some people similar to dyslexics and autistics in that they too have a condition, one that makes them incapable of thinking ahead?

Or are they just too lazy to think?

Then you have to ask if laziness is curable.

A bleeding heart says it's all due to an illness of one sort or another and we shouldn't punish illnesses.

The hard right says throw them all in jail.

Orwell's 1984 may be fulfilled by 2084 using advances in brain studies. It is scary thinking that a baby could be given a brain scan at birth and then sorted and graded like lumber.

He's working on it means no.
By the very fact of averages SOMEONE has to work at these jobs,you cannot say that everyone should be saving money and that no one should be working at a $40k job! if everyone followed your logic there would be no people working in any of these jobs. TFSA's are a gift to the rich. If people making $40k use them then they are the exception....certainly not the rule. Don't tell me you can have a house and a car and a $40k job and save $4k a year with a family as a general average.

Last edited:
Don't tell me you can have a house and a car and a $40k job and save $4k a year with a family as a general average.

You are correct, you very likely can't have all that in the GTA. The question is priorities. Ditch the cell phone and cable and you have most of the 4K already. I don't know if I know anybody that doesn't have a cell phone anymore regardless of income.

Back
Top Bottom