AWD vs. FWD ... in snow | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

AWD vs. FWD ... in snow

Team O'Neill Rally School on YouTube also has excellent vids.

All you folks sniping at each other should put your money where your mouth is. Meet at TMP in Feb and compare lap times in the snow. I'm game and I'll throw money on it.

Good idea. Everyone P/M your phone numbers and I will crate a telegram group for a rally to ********.

I don't know what's up with this pleasure people take in seeing SUVs in the ditch. It really doesn't mean anything. Most cars on the road are SUVs, so obviously a bunch of them will be in the ditch. If I end up in a ditch while passing sunny so be it. At least I did not spend my life going 20kmh. I drove to BC 2 times on roads partly covered with snow and ice. At a speed that would be considered safe by Toronto drivers it would have taken me 1 week to get there. FullMotoJacket nailed it. We are a motorcycle forum and we take interest in developing our riding and driving skills.

Last edited:
I don't know what's up with this pleasure people take in seeing SUVs in the ditch. It really doesn't mean anything. Most cars on the road are SUVs, so obviously a bunch of them will be in the ditch. If I end up in a ditch while passing sunny so be it. At least I did not spend my life going 20kmh.

If you end up in the ditch, I don't care. But the ditch is only on one side of the road. There are other cars on the other side. And that's when I start to care.

If you end up in the ditch, I don't care. But the ditch is only on one side of the road. There are other cars on the other side. And that's when I start to care.

latest

I'll bring the F150 4WD with the fresh Hakka finlandia snows.

I wont set the fastest lap time, but I can pull all you rockstars out of the drift covered buckwheat to dry ground so you can slalom off to the espresso bar.

F150 lol. A COG like the Eiffel Tower, best you just stay out of the way mate...

F150 lol. A COG like the Eiffel Tower, best you just stay out of the way mate...

That's an interesting point. I would think COG would matter a lot less once everyone is sliding. All else being equal, a lower COG should be able to go faster before sliding, but once the cornering forces are being provided by thrust instead of pushing against the sidewall, doesn't COG mainly drop out of the equation?

Winter track day sounds awesome, but the chance for incidental contact is so high, I don't know if I could bring my DD in. Keeping a large enough gap that contact is impossible would be hard unless vehicles came in every lap and launched at set intervals.

not there to go fast, just bringing my 50ft tow strap for the guys that are so fast they dont even need the track........maybe 100ft for they really fast guys

not there to go fast, just bringing my 50ft tow strap for the guys that are so fast they dont even need the track........maybe 100ft for they really fast guys

Just taking the piss.

First time I went, there was some pretty exuberant drivers that were gnawing at the chance to rip, I specifically remember a Subie and an S4. they were yawing off the course in the hairpins as it was drifted snow and churned up. They were all able to return to the track, it's pretty flat iirc and there was about 10cm on the ground.

If it's really deep then yeah, tow strap for sure. I'm lowered quite a bit so I can see hanging up easily.

I found driving in the April ice storm quite the experience. Since the city didn't plow/salt, the snow compressed and re-froze. It was rough as a bad gravel road but with less traction. Even driving stick (with snow tires) it was a hair-raising experience. That other day (years ago) with 3-4 cm of *slush* + hidden ice patches underneath was a real doozy too. "Okay, I'll be very careful turning here at 5km/h...and I seem to be heading onto the sidewalk."

All i can add to this convo is this ..

My first year with an AWD with all seasons, and it sucks bad. Im swapping over to winters in the next day or so to see if it changes my perception or not.
Id rather have my F150 4x4 than AWD at the current moment in bad weather ..

All i can add to this convo is this ..

My first year with an AWD with all seasons, and it sucks bad. Im swapping over to winters in the next day or so to see if it changes my perception or not.
Id rather have my F150 4x4 than AWD at the current moment in bad weather ..

winter tires make all the difference in the world regardless of awd, fwd, or rwd.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom