AWD vs. FWD ... in snow | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

AWD vs. FWD ... in snow

It is a multi plate clutch with electronic control of the engagement pressure. Evidently there are ways to tweak the calibration:

https://www.hpamotorsports.com/touchmotion-awd-programmer

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_R--2.0T/Drivetrain/Haldex/Controller/

As a much cheaper first step, the car has profiles built in that can be selected with vagcom (module 22>acoustic measure>wiring logic>reduced noise/standard/increased traction).

From another forum
After making these changes, I can definitely confirm when the car is really putting power down in a turn, (2nd and 3rd gear) the car feels smoother, and the grip is much more linear... and best of all, in the esc Sport mode, the car will definitely power oversteer a bit now.

wait till the warranty is up before adding a haldex programmer, if your in that 1% that has a transmission issue, that could be a less than helpful tool. IMO

Picked up one of these for a winter bomb a few years ago,had full locking front and rear axles. Never got stuck once.
88d1577b-89a9-439a-ab3b-9f7980f41eb3

Last edited:
Ok, so through VagCom. I was trying to recall if there was a selector switch in the cockpit or something.

I have VagCom, used it to lower brake and steering assist on my Jetta, among other things.

Ok, so through VagCom. I was trying to recall if there was a selector switch in the cockpit or something.

I have VagCom, used it to lower brake and steering assist on my Jetta, among other things.

I'm not sure if the driving mode selector in the Alltrack and R changes it or not. I know Vagcom can change it and there is no switch in a sportwagen.

Fwd + winter tires > anything with all seasons. Today showed that. I did a slalom between vehicles that couldn't get up a hill on Creditview Road.

Picked up and installed snows on the wifes SUV today. She had taken my car as she didn't feel safe on the all seasons in the snow. I took her car down to etobicoke to get the wheels and in a straight line it is quite well behaved (although with limited braking ability), but in a corner, bleeping hell. It took almost nothing for all it to give up on turning and just push straight. These are the second worst all-seasons I've driven (eagle ga's were the absolute worst in snow). Snows are on now but I haven't taken it for a spin to see how it behaves. I expect magically better.

First "vehicle in ditch" sighting of the season: Honda CRV. Don't know if AWD or base model without. It was quite apparent from the marks in the snow that the driver spun it and went into the ditch backwards. Straight, flat road.

First "vehicle in ditch" sighting of the season: Honda CRV. Don't know if AWD or base model without. It was quite apparent from the marks in the snow that the driver spun it and went into the ditch backwards. Straight, flat road.

I'm up to 6, 4 have been CUVs w/ AWD. I wonder what the over/under is on them having Winter Tires.

This is like the ATGATT vs no gear debate.

If you wear a full-face helmet and a one-piece leather racing suit out on the streets, you're more likely to ride like an idiot because you think you're going to walk away from a crash unscathed, vs the guy in a leather vest and no helmet who knows he'll end up in the hospital/morgue if he dumps.

Winter tires + AWD/4WD doesn't make you invincible and in some cases, increases the stupidity quotient.

AWD/4WD, great snow tires and sattelite radio and if you dont slow the F down, get caught in the slush rut and over correct, away we go.....

if you slow down it takes ten minute longer, if you launch it into the buckwheat it takes a lot longer

Definitely spotted a few SUVs in the ditch. Likely all seasons.

Yes, folks with winter tires (2 or 4 wheel drive) end up driving with confidence and expect to drive the same way as ideal conditions.

It’s still slippery. It’s still slush and other crap on the road.

Winter tires are great but you still slide. I was doing donuts in one of my kids school parking lots. The ice rain and untreated pavement made it easy to do.

The Blizzaks are brand new and do a great job. But, it’s not even close to the same traction as all seasons on a warm dry day.

Some folks need to give their head a shake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First "vehicle in ditch" sighting of the season: Honda CRV.

Ditch + plowed into embankment here (from a stop sign on to Blind Lane off of Britannia). Rav4 here. Stopped to check to see if she was ok. OEM A/S w. a guestimated 40K on them. OEM and replacement tires, same make and model, are NOT the same tires. OEM are designed for max. l/100km fuel ratings, in expense of traction.

This is like the ATGATT vs no gear debate.

If you wear a full-face helmet and a one-piece leather racing suit out on the streets, you're more likely to ride like an idiot because you think you're going to walk away from a crash unscathed, vs the guy in a leather vest and no helmet who knows he'll end up in the hospital/morgue if he dumps.

Winter tires + AWD/4WD doesn't make you invincible and in some cases, increases the stupidity quotient.

iu

ATGATT attempts to decrease the damage to you body when/if you crash. Winter tires and AWD/4WD do not.

ATGATT implies that you are aware of the possibility of crashing. Winter tires and AWD/4WD imply that you are aware of the possibility of losing traction.

Ditch + plowed into embankment here (from a stop sign on to Blind Lane off of Britannia). Rav4 here. Stopped to check to see if she was ok. OEM A/S w. a guestimated 40K on them. OEM and replacement tires, same make and model, are NOT the same tires. OEM are designed for max. l/100km fuel ratings, in expense of traction.

A rental Rav4 has the distinction of having the absolute worst tires that I have ever experienced.

Back
Top Bottom